nc4000 laptop won't power off - Mandriva

This is a discussion on nc4000 laptop won't power off - Mandriva ; My HP nc4000 laptop won't power off with Mandriva 2008.0. It powers off fine with Windows XP, which btw, is the recommended operating condition for WinXP. Google didn't help me here. Are there some settings I need to adjust to ...

  1. nc4000 laptop won't power off

    My HP nc4000 laptop won't power off with Mandriva 2008.0. It powers off
    fine with Windows XP, which btw, is the recommended operating condition
    for WinXP.

    Google didn't help me here. Are there some settings I need to adjust to
    get the machine to power off?

    Thanks....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  2. Re: nc4000 laptop won't power off

    On Jan 2, 7:43*pm, nob...@tek.com (Kevin the Drummer) wrote:
    > My HP nc4000 laptop won't power off with Mandriva 2008.0. *It powers off
    > fine with Windows XP, which btw, is the recommended operating condition
    > for WinXP.
    >
    > Google didn't help me here. *Are there some settings I need to adjust to
    > get the machine to power off?

    When I noticed my PC would remain on standby even after a shutdown was
    requested, I did some checking. Had to grant execution rights to
    'halt'. But this was in 2007.0, mind you. Worked for me and some other
    Mandriva user...

  3. Re: nc4000 laptop won't power off

    Kevin the Drummer wrote:

    > My HP nc4000 laptop won't power off with Mandriva 2008.0. It powers off
    > fine with Windows XP, which btw, is the recommended operating condition
    > for WinXP.
    >
    > Google didn't help me here. Are there some settings I need to adjust to
    > get the machine to power off?

    What means "won't power off" here? What are the last few lines on the
    screen, when you press "esc" to see the status messages?

    Linux 2.6.22.12-1mdvcustom [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

  4. Re: nc4000 laptop won't power off

    Walter Mautner wrote:
    > Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    > > My HP nc4000 laptop won't power off with Mandriva 2008.0. It powers off
    > > fine with Windows XP, which btw, is the recommended operating condition
    > > for WinXP.
    > >
    > > Google didn't help me here. Are there some settings I need to adjust to
    > > get the machine to power off?
    > >

    > What means "won't power off" here?

    The power to the laptop won't turn off. It stays on. The screen stays
    lit. I need to hold the power button after the operating system has
    shut down in order to get the power to turn off.

    > What are the last few lines on the
    > screen, when you press "esc" to see the status messages?

    I can't say exactly what it is, but it's about like this:

    sending all processes the TERM signal
    sending all processes the KILL signal
    unmounting
    shutting down
    halting

    Sometimes there's another line after that, something like

    shutting down hda

    Does that help?

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  5. Re: nc4000 laptop won't power off

    shedied@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Jan 2, 7:43*pm, nob...@tek.com (Kevin the Drummer) wrote:
    > > My HP nc4000 laptop won't power off with Mandriva 2008.0. *It powers off
    > > fine with Windows XP, which btw, is the recommended operating condition
    > > for WinXP.
    > >
    > > Google didn't help me here. *Are there some settings I need to adjust to
    > > get the machine to power off?

    > When I noticed my PC would remain on standby even after a shutdown was
    > requested, I did some checking. Had to grant execution rights to
    > 'halt'. But this was in 2007.0, mind you. Worked for me and some other
    > Mandriva user...

    All of the halt executables are readable and executable. In the case of
    /usr/[s]bin/halt, it's a symbolic link, and the program it links to is
    also readable and executable.

    Thanks for the suggestion....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  6. Re: nc4000 laptop won't power off

    Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    > Walter Mautner wrote:
    >> Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    >>> My HP nc4000 laptop won't power off with Mandriva 2008.0. It powers off
    >>> fine with Windows XP, which btw, is the recommended operating condition
    >>> for WinXP.
    >>>
    >>> Google didn't help me here. Are there some settings I need to adjust to
    >>> get the machine to power off?
    >>>

    >> What means "won't power off" here?

    > The power to the laptop won't turn off. It stays on. The screen stays
    > lit. I need to hold the power button after the operating system has
    > shut down in order to get the power to turn off.

    This sounds like something built into the hardware, or BIOS,
    to allow anyone to hit the off button but only really shut
    down the device if the anyone really intends to do so (and
    demonstrates intent by holding down the button).

    The halt command (or whatever it is aliased to) may not
    know the exact command needed to halt your laptop from
    software (Winblows knows -- to halt, go to start....),
    so it shuts down the OS (it knows how to do that!) but
    cannot turn off your specific machine.

    What is the exact command you are using when trying
    to halt the machine?

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  7. Re: nc4000 laptop won't power off

    on Saturday 05 January 2008 08:27
    Kevin the Drummer wrote:

    > shedied@gmail.com wrote:
    >> On Jan 2, 7:43*pm, nob...@tek.com (Kevin the Drummer) wrote:
    >> > My HP nc4000 laptop won't power off with Mandriva 2008.0. *It powers
    >> > off fine with Windows XP, which btw, is the recommended operating
    >> > condition for WinXP.
    >> >
    >> > Google didn't help me here. *Are there some settings I need to adjust
    >> > to get the machine to power off?

    >> When I noticed my PC would remain on standby even after a shutdown was
    >> requested, I did some checking. Had to grant execution rights to
    >> 'halt'. But this was in 2007.0, mind you. Worked for me and some other
    >> Mandriva user...

    > All of the halt executables are readable and executable. In the case of
    > /usr/[s]bin/halt, it's a symbolic link, and the program it links to is
    > also readable and executable.

    There is more to permissions than that, "man shutdown" mentions
    . Try "halt" or "shutdown -t 5 -h -P now"
    as root.

    Try "man acpi", especially try "man apmd".

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  8. Re: nc4000 laptop won't power off

    on Saturday 05 January 2008 16:50
    Peter D. wrote:

    [snip]
    > Try "man acpi", especially try "man apmd".

    Make that "urpmi acpi" and "urpmi apmd".

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  9. Re: nc4000 laptop won't power off

    Kevin the Drummer wrote:

    > Walter Mautner wrote:
    >> Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    >> > My HP nc4000 laptop won't power off with Mandriva 2008.0. It powers
    >> > off fine with Windows XP, which btw, is the recommended operating
    >> > condition for WinXP.
    >> >
    >> > Google didn't help me here. Are there some settings I need to adjust
    >> > to get the machine to power off?
    >> >

    >> What means "won't power off" here?

    > The power to the laptop won't turn off. It stays on. The screen stays
    > lit. I need to hold the power button after the operating system has
    > shut down in order to get the power to turn off.
    >
    >> What are the last few lines on the
    >> screen, when you press "esc" to see the status messages?

    > I can't say exactly what it is, but it's about like this:
    >
    > sending all processes the TERM signal
    > sending all processes the KILL signal
    > unmounting
    > shutting down
    > halting
    >
    > Sometimes there's another line after that, something like
    >
    > shutting down hda
    >
    > Does that help?

    So there is a regular shutdown, the system doesn't hang.
    Looks like ACPI isn't enabled on your kernel.
    You may try the boot parameter "acpi=force" on the "append" line for lilo.

    Linux 2.6.22.12-1mdvcustom [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

+ Reply to Thread