ct_sync [FAILED] - Mandriva

This is a discussion on ct_sync [FAILED] - Mandriva ; What is `ct_sync`. Do I need it? Why would I need it? Why does "everything" seem to be running along Just Fine without it? I have a suspicion that it may be smp-centric. Several days ago, the boot-up process of ...

  1. ct_sync [FAILED]

    What is `ct_sync`. Do I need it? Why would I need it? Why does
    "everything" seem to be running along Just Fine without it?
    I have a suspicion that it may be smp-centric.

    Several days ago, the boot-up process of this PC has been showing:
    Starting ct_sync [FAILED]

    There are _no_ related (that I can tell) messages in `dmesg` or in
    /var/log/messages.

    $ sudo service ct_sync restart
    Shutting down ct_sync: [FAILED]
    Starting ct_sync: [FAILED]

    ... yielding _nothing_ in /var/log/messages except my use of `sudo`.

    $ /sbin/chkconfig --list ct_sync
    ct_sync 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff

    $ cat /etc/sysconfig/ct_sync
    ENABLE=no
    INTERFACE=
    CMARKBIT=

    $ uname -a
    Linux cebolla 2.6.22.12-desktop-1mdv #1 SMP
    Tue Nov 20 08:38:27 EST 2007
    i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz GNU/Linux

    Inspecting /etc/rc.d/init.d/ct_sync , I find a short description of:

    # Short-Description: Connection tracking state replication

    and a 'long' description of:

    So nix-typical.

    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    *** Killfiling google posts:

  2. Re: ct_sync [FAILED]

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 22:52:10 +0000, Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    > What is `ct_sync`. Do I need it? Why would I need it? Why does
    > "everything" seem to be running along Just Fine without it? I have a
    > suspicion that it may be smp-centric.
    >
    > Several days ago, the boot-up process of this PC has been showing:
    > Starting ct_sync [FAILED]

    8<

    I know this is no solution or help, but following some updates (not sure
    what), I have been having the same FAILED message during boot up. This
    has happened on 3 different machines, each with no apparent ill effects.

  3. Re: ct_sync [FAILED]

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 17:52:10 -0500, Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    > What is `ct_sync`. Do I need it? Why would I need it? Why does
    > "everything" seem to be running along Just Fine without it?

    I don't have it installed, but "urpmf ct_sync" shows ...
    invictus-firewall:/etc/rc.d/init.d/ct_sync
    invictus-firewall:/etc/sysconfig/ct_sync

    Check the settings in sysconfig, and any documentation/settings you can
    find for invictus.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: ct_sync [FAILED]

    Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    > What is `ct_sync`. Do I need it? Why would I need it? Why does
    > "everything" seem to be running along Just Fine without it?
    > I have a suspicion that it may be smp-centric.

    Looks like the "cConnection tracking state replication for Netfilter" is
    only necessary for dual-NIC (bonding or redundant) systems.
    I remember some related settings available from mcc "advanced settings -
    network redundance" in the network section.

    Linux 2.6.22.12-1mdvcustom [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

  5. Re: ct_sync [FAILED]

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 17:01:09 -0600, Jo Shloe wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 22:52:10 +0000, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    >
    >> What is `ct_sync`. Do I need it? Why would I need it? Why does
    >> "everything" seem to be running along Just Fine without it? I have a
    >> suspicion that it may be smp-centric.
    >>
    >> Several days ago, the boot-up process of this PC has been showing:
    >> Starting ct_sync [FAILED]

    > 8<
    >
    > I know this is no solution or help, but following some updates (not sure
    > what), I have been having the same FAILED message during boot up. This
    > has happened on 3 different machines, each with no apparent ill effects.

    Yep. I believe it happened here after a recent `urpmi --auto-select`.
    And, too, there seems to be no ill effects.

    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    *** Killfiling google posts:

  6. Re: ct_sync [FAILED]

    On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 16:24:02 +0100, Walter Mautner wrote:
    > Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    >
    >> What is `ct_sync`. Do I need it? Why would I need it? Why does
    >> "everything" seem to be running along Just Fine without it?
    >> I have a suspicion that it may be smp-centric.
    >>

    > Looks like the "cConnection tracking state replication for Netfilter" is
    > only necessary for dual-NIC (bonding or redundant) systems.

    There are physically' 2 NIC's in this box. One slow, MB-mounted NIC.
    And, one fast, card-mounted NIC (RTL8169).
    But, I went through the effort to disable the MB-mounted NIC in the
    BIOS:
    :
    |$ dmesg | grep -i eth
    |r8169 Gigabit Ethernet driver 2.2LK loaded
    |eth0: Identified chip type is 'RTL8169s/8110s'.
    |eth0: RTL8169 at 0xf8840c00, 00:06:4f:22:be:29, IRQ 19
    |r8169: eth0: link up
    |$
    :

    Maybe the low-level routines in the boot process are just too clever by
    half. :-)

    > I remember some related settings available from mcc "advanced settings -
    > network redundance" in the network section.

    OK. I'll dig into that.

    Thanks & HNY
    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    *** Killfiling google posts:

  7. Re: ct_sync [FAILED]

    On 3 Jan 2008 17:12:26 GMT, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 16:24:02 +0100, Walter Mautner wrote:
    >> Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    >>
    >>> What is `ct_sync`. Do I need it? Why would I need it? Why does
    >>> "everything" seem to be running along Just Fine without it?
    >>> I have a suspicion that it may be smp-centric.
    >>>

    >> Looks like the "cConnection tracking state replication for Netfilter" is
    >> only necessary for dual-NIC (bonding or redundant) systems.
    >>
    >> I remember some related settings available from mcc "advanced settings -
    >> network redundance" in the network section.

    > OK. I'll dig into that.

    No joy. I found "Advanced setup for network interfaces and firewall"
    down inside "Security" in MLCC. But, I did not see anything there that
    a.) was checked, nor b.) that would seem to apply to my problem.

    I could go in and simply rip out ct_sync in /etc/rc.d/...
    (OBTW, ct_sync, itself is _not_ to be found on this machine.)

    Or, I could install the new drakx-net and drakx-net-text that Software
    Management just informed me are available in the package updates....
    Maybe 'they' are fixing this very problem which arose after an earlier
    urpmi --auto-select I did last week. That's about when I saw the
    problem crop up....

    I'll report back.
    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    *** Killfiling google posts:

  8. Re: ct_sync [FAILED] [[SOLVED]]

    On 4 Jan 2008 03:46:17 GMT, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    > On 3 Jan 2008 17:12:26 GMT, Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    >>> Looks like the "cConnection tracking state replication for Netfilter" is
    >>> only necessary for dual-NIC (bonding or redundant) systems.

    > I could go in and simply rip out ct_sync in /etc/rc.d/...
    > (OBTW, ct_sync, itself is _not_ to be found on this machine.)
    >
    > I'll report back.

    OK. I'm back.

    $ chkconfig --del ct_sync did the trick.

    Why ct_sync was ever in the list is beyond me. My suspicion: it was
    stuck to the bottom of a shoe of some RPM that was installed last week.

    Also:

    $ chkconfig --del oki4daemon

    .... which I also think was stuck to the bottom a shoe of some RPM that
    was installed last week. I know it was not there after the MDV 2008
    install, and, indeed, all the printers around here are HP LJ's.

    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    *** Killfiling google posts: