Best video card - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Best video card - Mandriva ; What video card works best with Mandriva 2008? Thnx...

  1. Best video card

    What video card works best with Mandriva 2008?

    Thnx

  2. Re: Best video card

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 13:25:58 -0800, DougCa wrote:

    > What video card works best with Mandriva 2008?
    >
    > Thnx

    Probably the most expensive one available. Would you care to share: "best"
    for what?

  3. Re: Best video card

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 13:25:58 -0800, DougCa wrote:

    > What video card works best with Mandriva 2008?

    Any of them. All of them.

  4. Re: Best video card

    On Jan 2, 1:47*pm, ray wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 13:25:58 -0800, DougCa wrote:
    > > What video card works best with Mandriva 2008?

    > > Thnx

    > Probably the most expensive one available. Would you care to share: "best"
    > for what?

    Why do we get these morons whose ego is bigger than their brains?
    It's a simple question.

  5. Re: Best video card

    DougCa wrote:

    > On Jan 2, 1:47*pm, ray wrote:
    >> On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 13:25:58 -0800, DougCa wrote:
    >> > What video card works best with Mandriva 2008?

    >> > Thnx

    >> Probably the most expensive one available. Would you care to share:
    >> "best" for what?

    > Why do we get these morons whose ego is bigger than their brains?
    > It's a simple question.

    It's not a simple question. It depends on what your requirements are. For me
    the "best" is a rather elderly Radeon 9200. It works perfectly with the
    free xorg ATI driver and so I don't have to fuss with proprietary drivers.
    BUT, I don't want to use 3D, watch DVD's or play games.

    If you're looking for a high-end card, then the consensus seems to be that
    nvidea provide the best support for linux. However, you may have to wait a
    bit for stable drivers for the "bleeding edge" cards.

    Jim

  6. Re: Best video card

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 15:51:24 -0800, DougCa wrote:

    >> > What video card works best with Mandriva 2008?

    >> Probably the most expensive one available. Would you care to share:
    >> "best" for what?

    > Why do we get these morons whose ego is bigger than their brains? It's a
    > simple question.

    No, it's a *stupid* question.

    Here's a similar question, see if you think it's simple:
    What's the best car, a Ford or a Chevy?

    What's your answer?

  7. Re: Best video card

    Dan C wrote:

    >>> Probably the most expensive one available. Would you care to share:
    >>> "best" for what?

    >> Why do we get these morons whose ego is bigger than their brains? It's a
    >> simple question.

    > No, it's a *stupid* question.
    >
    > Here's a similar question, see if you think it's simple:
    > What's the best car, a Ford or a Chevy?
    >
    > What's your answer?

    chevy...DUH....maybe it would be helpful if we shared what vid cards we use
    and our experiences... i checked..it doesn't cost anything,
    right now i'm using an ati 9250 pci, but the the agp version won't work.
    works fine for video, good choice of resolutions but there are certain
    compiz goodies that don't work, and i've never gotten dual desktop 3d
    effects to work when the ati is one of the 2 video cards..all in all
    though, for a $20 card i can't complain. and for what i can do with it i
    credit mandriva more than i do ati. there, my 2 cents, and it's probably
    worth every penny

  8. Re: Best video card

    DougCa wrote:
    > What video card works best with Mandriva 2008?
    >
    > Thnx

    Depends on your requirements. What do you use your comp for?

    --
    artix
    http://www.abstractart.ws _Abstract Art Directory_

  9. Re: Best video card

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 15:51:24 -0800, DougCa wrote:

    > On Jan 2, 1:47*pm, ray wrote:
    >> On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 13:25:58 -0800, DougCa wrote:
    >> > What video card works best with Mandriva 2008?

    >> > Thnx

    >> Probably the most expensive one available. Would you care to share: "best"
    >> for what?

    > Why do we get these morons whose ego is bigger than their brains?
    > It's a simple question.

    OK - so, what's the best car? What's the best motorcycle? What's the best
    computer? What's the best Linux distro?

  10. Re: Best video card

    On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 09:35:24 -0700, ray wrote:

    >> Why do we get these morons whose ego is bigger than their brains?
    >> It's a simple question.

    > OK - so, what's the best car? What's the best motorcycle? What's the best
    > computer? What's the best Linux distro?

    I already asked him that, and of course he hasn't responded.

    Just another drive-by Google-Groper moron.

  11. Re: Best video card

    on Thursday 03 January 2008 11:12
    James Kerr wrote:

    > DougCa wrote:

    >>> Probably the most expensive one available. Would you care to share:
    >>> "best" for what?

    >> Why do we get these morons whose ego is bigger than their brains?
    >> It's a simple question.

    > It's not a simple question. It depends on what your requirements are. For
    > me the "best" is a rather elderly Radeon 9200. It works perfectly with the
    > free xorg ATI driver and so I don't have to fuss with proprietary drivers.
    > BUT, I don't want to use 3D, watch DVD's or play games.

    [snip]

    I've got a Radeon 9250, it can display digital TV, I'd expect it to
    cope with a DVD.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  12. Re: Best video card

    On Jan 5, 2:20*am, "Peter D." wrote:
    > on Thursday 03 January 2008 11:12
    > in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    >

    > James Kerr wrote:
    > > DougCa wrote:

    > >> Why do we get these morons whose ego is bigger than their brains?
    > >> It's a simple question.

    > > It's not a simple question. It depends on what your requirements are. For
    > > me the "best" is a rather elderly Radeon 9200. It works perfectly with the
    > > free xorg ATI driver and so I don't have to fuss with proprietary drivers.
    > > BUT, I don't want to use 3D, watch DVD's or play games.

    > [snip]
    >
    > I've got a Radeon 9250, it can display digital TV, I'd expect it to
    > cope with a DVD. *
    >
    > --
    > sig goes here...
    > Peter D.- Hide quoted text -

    It's been 5+ yrs since posting on Mandrake/Mandriva newsgroup and I
    see it's still haunted by some jerks or maybe it's the same ones from
    years ago.

    Thanks to those who replied with helpful replies, it is apreciated. I
    did run a dual OS along with Mandrake 10.1 but dropped all when
    changed pc but looking to get back into Linux.

    For those in the first category, don't reply to my posts as I don't
    want to read your juvenile remarks.

    - 30 -

+ Reply to Thread