Mandriva nfs file locking question - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Mandriva nfs file locking question - Mandriva ; Happy New Year to all. I have a question about mandriva, Freebsd and NFS file locking. I have a freebsd 6.2 file server that exports files to a Mandriva 2008 desktop machine using the latest Open Office. When documents on ...

  1. Mandriva nfs file locking question

    Happy New Year to all.

    I have a question about mandriva, Freebsd and NFS file locking.

    I have a freebsd 6.2 file server that exports files to a Mandriva 2008
    desktop machine using the latest Open Office.

    When documents on the server are opened, they come up read only. I
    cannot edit them or save them under a different name. I need to be able
    to edit and save them.

    I found a pretty clubby way to disable the file locking, but I am looking
    for a more elegant way to accomplish editing files and still not having
    other open them at the same time.

    Any help? Suggestions?

    All help will be appreciated.

    Thanks to all,

  2. Re: Mandriva nfs file locking question

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 13:13:05 -0600, n wrote:
    > Happy New Year to all.
    >
    > I have a question about mandriva, Freebsd and NFS file locking.
    >
    > I have a freebsd 6.2 file server that exports files to a Mandriva 2008
    > desktop machine using the latest Open Office.
    >
    > When documents on the server are opened, they come up read only. I
    > cannot edit them or save them under a different name. I need to be able
    > to edit and save them.

    Show us the freebsd /etc/fstab and export file
    and the mandriva /etc/fstab for the partition.

  3. Re: Mandriva nfs file locking question

    n writes:

    >Happy New Year to all.

    >I have a question about mandriva, Freebsd and NFS file locking.

    >I have a freebsd 6.2 file server that exports files to a Mandriva 2008
    >desktop machine using the latest Open Office.

    >When documents on the server are opened, they come up read only. I
    >cannot edit them or save them under a different name. I need to be able
    >to edit and save them.

    Freebsd has to export them as rw, and you have to nfs mount them as rw.
    What is /etc/exports on freebsd and what is /etc/fstab lines on you
    mandriva system.

    Also if you are doing this as root, they probably have root squash which
    makes all root access act as if it were access by nobody.

    >I found a pretty clubby way to disable the file locking, but I am looking
    >for a more elegant way to accomplish editing files and still not having
    >other open them at the same time.

    There is not way. AFAIK nfs does not have hard file locking only soft,
    which could be ignored.
    But this is not AFAIK file locking.

    >Any help? Suggestions?

    >All help will be appreciated.

    >Thanks to all,

  4. Re: Mandriva nfs file locking question

    n wrote:

    > Happy New Year to all.
    >
    > I have a question about mandriva, Freebsd and NFS file locking.
    >
    > I have a freebsd 6.2 file server that exports files to a Mandriva 2008
    > desktop machine using the latest Open Office.
    >
    > When documents on the server are opened, they come up read only. I
    > cannot edit them or save them under a different name. I need to be able
    > to edit and save them.

    NFS works with userids. Make sure they match, or you have a common
    authentication source like a ldap or nis server, and the proper
    nsswitch.conf.
    If just the usernames/passwords are the same, it doesn't guarantee the
    userIDs are.

    > I found a pretty clubby way to disable the file locking, but I am looking
    > for a more elegant way to accomplish editing files and still not having
    > other open them at the same time.

    I don't think that locking is the issue, except someone else has your files
    open r/w.

    > Any help? Suggestions?

    Paste the /etc/exports of your server, logon to the server (shell/ssh) and
    issue a "id", compare that with your local id under the same username.
    Do not try as root, because root as standard is always mapped to anonymous.

    Linux 2.6.22.12-1mdvcustom [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

  5. Re: Mandriva nfs file locking question

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 23:39:22 +0000, Unruh wrote:

    > n writes:
    >
    >>Happy New Year to all.

    >>I have a question about mandriva, Freebsd and NFS file locking.

    >>I have a freebsd 6.2 file server that exports files to a Mandriva 2008
    >>desktop machine using the latest Open Office.

    >>When documents on the server are opened, they come up read only. I
    >>cannot edit them or save them under a different name. I need to be able
    >>to edit and save them.

    > Freebsd has to export them as rw, and you have to nfs mount them as rw.
    > What is /etc/exports on freebsd and what is /etc/fstab lines on you
    > mandriva system.
    >
    > Also if you are doing this as root, they probably have root squash which
    > makes all root access act as if it were access by nobody.
    >

    >>I found a pretty clubby way to disable the file locking, but I am
    >>looking for a more elegant way to accomplish editing files and still not
    >>having other open them at the same time.

    > There is not way. AFAIK nfs does not have hard file locking only soft,
    > which could be ignored.
    > But this is not AFAIK file locking.
    >

    >>Any help? Suggestions?

    >>All help will be appreciated.

    >>Thanks to all,

    Thanks to you and Mr. Bit Twister.

    I have been reading and I think that I have learned quite a bit more
    about NFS than I thought there was.

    I also tried opening the same files with Abiword. All is well there. So
    I think that the problem is with Open Office. AT least I have a working
    arrangement for now.

    Thanks again, Gentlemen.

+ Reply to Thread