Webcam: Logitech QuickCam Communicate Deluxe - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Webcam: Logitech QuickCam Communicate Deluxe - Mandriva ; Got the above webcam for Xmas. Works beautifully under Windows XP, but - naturally - would like to use it under Linux. Plugged camera in (USB) - no apparent reaction from Mandriva 2008.0. Installed gqcam (0.9.1). Dead as doornail. Anyone ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

  1. Webcam: Logitech QuickCam Communicate Deluxe

    Got the above webcam for Xmas. Works beautifully under Windows
    XP, but - naturally - would like to use it under Linux.

    Plugged camera in (USB) - no apparent reaction from Mandriva
    2008.0.

    Installed gqcam (0.9.1). Dead as doornail.

    Anyone had any luck with such webcams under Linux?

    (Have installed the latest version of Linux Skype (2.0.0.27).)

    --
    /\/\aurice

  2. Re: Webcam: Logitech QuickCam Communicate Deluxe

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 18:05:52 +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > Got the above webcam for Xmas. Works beautifully under Windows XP, but -
    > naturally - would like to use it under Linux.
    >
    > Plugged camera in (USB) - no apparent reaction from Mandriva 2008.0.
    >
    > Installed gqcam (0.9.1). Dead as doornail.
    >
    > Anyone had any luck with such webcams under Linux?
    >
    > (Have installed the latest version of Linux Skype (2.0.0.27).)

    Had you tried loading spca drivers?

  3. Re: Webcam: Logitech QuickCam Communicate Deluxe

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 18:26:33 +0000, carl wagner wrote:

    > Had you tried loading spca drivers?

    The only MCC ref. I could find is:

    "dkms-gspcav1 - DKMS-ready driver for spca5xx webcams​"

    Is that the one?
    --
    /\/\aurice

  4. Re: Webcam: Logitech QuickCam Communicate Deluxe

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 19:30:36 +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 18:26:33 +0000, carl wagner wrote:
    >
    >> Had you tried loading spca drivers?

    > The only MCC ref. I could find is:
    >
    > "dkms-gspcav1 - DKMS-ready driver for spca5xx webcamsā€‹"
    >
    > Is that the one?

    its one i'm using. just make sure the kernal-source verison matches your
    your kernal verison.

  5. Re: Webcam: Logitech QuickCam Communicate Deluxe

    carl wagner wrote:

    > On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 19:30:36 +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 18:26:33 +0000, carl wagner wrote:
    >>
    >>> Had you tried loading spca drivers?

    >> The only MCC ref. I could find is:
    >>
    >> "dkms-gspcav1 - DKMS-ready driver for spca5xx webcams?"
    >>
    >> Is that the one?

    > its one i'm using. just make sure the kernal-source verison matches your
    > your kernal verison.

    You may need to force the load. See my thread (2008 and webcam)of 18th
    December

    Stuart

  6. Re: Webcam: Logitech QuickCam Communicate Deluxe

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 13:05:52 -0500, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > Plugged camera in (USB) - no apparent reaction from Mandriva
    > 2008.0.

    If you have usbutils installed, /usr/sbin/lsusb -v will give you info like

    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 046d:08f0 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Messenger
    Device Descriptor:
    idVendor 0x046d Logitech, Inc.
    idProduct 0x08f0 QuickCam Messenger

    Using the vendor/product id in a google search such as "046d:08f0 linux",
    will return sites showing what other people have done, to get the particular
    webcam working. Note that the solutions vary, depending on the kernel version.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  7. Re: Webcam: Logitech QuickCam Communicate Deluxe

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 15:42:23 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > /usr/sbin/lsusb -v

    Problem with that is that it produces pages of output, such
    that scrollimg back to the top doesn't go far enough, i.e. I
    can't see the start of the output!

    Haven't come across this before. How does one avoid losing the
    early lines of output?

    --
    /\/\aurice

  8. Re: Webcam: Logitech QuickCam Communicate Deluxe

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 19:50:19 +0000, carl wagner wrote:

    > make sure the kernal-source verison matches your
    > your kernal verison.

    The gspca version is "1.00.18-3mdv2008.0"

    I'm using "kernel 2.6.22.12-desktop-1mdv"

    How does one find the gspca kernel version?

    --
    /\/\aurice

  9. Re: Webcam: Logitech QuickCam Communicate Deluxe

    On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 15:45:13 +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 15:42:23 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >
    >> /usr/sbin/lsusb -v

    > Problem with that is that it produces pages of output, such
    > that scrollimg back to the top doesn't go far enough, i.e. I
    > can't see the start of the output!

    /usr/sbin/lsusb -v | less
    /usr/sbin/lsusb -v > lsusb.log
    less lsusb.log

    > Haven't come across this before. How does one avoid losing the
    > early lines of output?

    My solution because I use xterm for my terminals

    xterm*saveLines: 4096
    in ~/.Xresources
    and/or ~/.Xdefaults

  10. Re: Webcam: Logitech QuickCam Communicate Deluxe

    Maurice Batey wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 15:42:23 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >
    >> /usr/sbin/lsusb -v

    > Problem with that is that it produces pages of output, such
    > that scrollimg back to the top doesn't go far enough, i.e. I
    > can't see the start of the output!
    >
    > Haven't come across this before. How does one avoid losing the
    > early lines of output?

    To capture all stuff sent to the console, including
    error messages:

    command -options 2>$1 > junk

    That put standard error into the same place
    as standard output and puts both into file junk
    in the current directory.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  11. Re: Webcam: Logitech QuickCam Communicate Deluxe

    On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 16:01:48 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > usr/sbin/lsusb -v | less

    Ah, yes - thanks. That gave:
    Bus 005 Device 005: ID 046d:0992 Logitech, Inc.
    Device Descriptor:
    bLength 18
    bDescriptorType 1
    bcdUSB 2.00
    bDeviceClass 239 Miscellaneous Device
    bDeviceSubClass 2 ?
    bDeviceProtocol 1 Interface Association
    bMaxPacketSize0 64
    idVendor 0x046d Logitech, Inc.
    idProduct 0x0992
    ------------------------------------------------etc...

    --
    /\/\aurice

  12. Re: Webcam: Logitech QuickCam Communicate Deluxe

    P.S. According to:
    www.quickcamteam.net/hcl/linux/logitech-webcams
    the driver family (ASIC) for the QuickCam Communicate Deluxe is
    "SPCA527", and the Linux driver is "uvcvideo".

    The question, therefore is: does gspca provide the spca527
    uvcvideo driver?
    (Assuming the kernel version matches - see earlier posting).

    --
    /\/\aurice

  13. Re: Webcam: Logitech QuickCam Communicate Deluxe

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 18:26:33 +0000, carl wagner wrote:

    > Had you tried loading spca drivers?

    Yes, I've installed gspca (matched with kernel).

    I've done 'modprobe -f gspca'

    'ls /dev/video' returns: "/dev/video@"

    Connected the QuickCam to a USB port, and: nothing happens...

    Have I missed something, or done the wrong thing?

    --
    /\/\aurice

  14. Re: Webcam: Logitech QuickCam Communicate Deluxe

    On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 11:51:36 -0500, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > Bus 005 Device 005: ID 046d:0992 Logitech, Inc.

    Running a google search on "046d:0992 linux" leads to
    http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/ which indicates this is a v4l2 device.

    Remove any modules you've already added, to try and get the device working.

    Run "modprobe -v uvcvideo", which should also load v4l2_common, and if
    not already loaded, videodev, v4l1_compat, compat_ioctl32 and usbcore.

    Then connect the webcam, and check /var/log/syslog, to see if it
    is recognized.

    The webcam will only work with software that supports v4l2.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  15. Re: Webcam: Logitech QuickCam Communicate Deluxe

    On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 15:43:06 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > Run "modprobe -v uvcvideo", which should also load v4l2_common, and if
    > not already loaded, videodev, v4l1_compat, compat_ioctl32 and usbcore.

    Did that. tetminal session just showed 'insmod.......gz' - o
    other details.

    > Then connect the webcam, and check /var/log/syslog, to see if it
    > is recognized.

    Jan 4 18:13:31 localhost kernel: usbcore: registered new
    interface driver uvcvideo
    Jan 4 18:13:31 localhost kernel: USB Video Class driver (v0.1.0)
    Jan 4 18:17:00 localhost kernel: usb 5-8: new high speed USB
    device using ehci_hcd and address 6
    Jan 4 18:17:00 localhost kernel: usb 5-8: configuration #1
    chosen from 1 choice
    Jan 4 18:17:00 localhost kernel: uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device
    (046d:0992)
    Jan 4 18:17:02 localhost kernel: usbcore: registered new
    interface driver snd-usb-audio

    So - webcam recognised (though webcam name not picked up), and
    when I fired up the video Skype beta (2.0.0.7) its video
    'test' option did show a live picture from the webcam, and I was
    able to do a test audio Skype session successfully!

    So - it appears to be working, though with no means of
    modifying the configuration of the webcam.
    (Gqcam doesn't seem to know anything abut the webcam.)

    Many thanks, Dave!

    --
    /\/\aurice

  16. Re: Webcam: Logitech QuickCam Communicate Deluxe

    On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 15:43:06 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > Run "modprobe -v uvcvideo"

    Is that a one-off operation, or does it need to be done at
    each bootup?

    --
    /\/\aurice

  17. Re: Webcam: Logitech QuickCam Communicate Deluxe

    On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 13:34:43 -0500, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > So - it appears to be working, though with no means of
    > modifying the configuration of the webcam.

    See if camstream will allow you to configure the webcam.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  18. Re: Webcam: Logitech QuickCam Communicate Deluxe

    On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 19:40:41 +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 15:43:06 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >
    >> Run "modprobe -v uvcvideo"

    > Is that a one-off operation, or does it need to be done at
    > each bootup?

    Any and every driver module you use has to be loaded with every bootup.
    Most people put it in one of the files that loads modules form the list
    there. Key word modules. Most boot configuration files are in the /etc dir.

  19. Re: Webcam: Logitech QuickCam Communicate Deluxe

    On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 14:40:41 -0500, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 15:43:06 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >> Run "modprobe -v uvcvideo"

    > Is that a one-off operation, or does it need to be done at
    > each bootup?

    Add uvcvideo to /etc/modprobe.preload

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  20. Re: Webcam: Logitech QuickCam Communicate Deluxe

    On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 16:16:52 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > See if camstream will allow you to configure the webcam

    Regret not. Selecting File-->Open Window gives:

    "Device error: The device experienced an eror - 19 -
    No such device."

    Anywhere else to go?!

    --
    /\/\aurice