FQDN for Leafnode - Mandriva

This is a discussion on FQDN for Leafnode - Mandriva ; On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:52:10 +0000, Whiskers wrote: > I couldn't get Leafnode to install on a system with a name ending in > .invalid (and I think some other programs were also reluctant to > tolerate that) so ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 47 of 47

  1. Re: FQDN for Leafnode SOLUTION

    On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:52:10 +0000, Whiskers wrote:

    > I couldn't get Leafnode to install on a system with a name ending in
    > .invalid (and I think some other programs were also reluctant to
    > tolerate that) so I changed my hostnames to end in .private which is
    > accepted by all the software I've installed since. If that name does
    > leak out onto the internet, it won't resolve and probably never will
    > unless TLDs start to take the form of character strings longer than
    > three.

    How many characters in "info" ??

    ;-)

  2. Re: FQDN for Leafnode SOLUTION

    On 2008-01-11, Mark South wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:52:10 +0000, Whiskers wrote:
    >
    >> I couldn't get Leafnode to install on a system with a name ending in
    >> .invalid (and I think some other programs were also reluctant to
    >> tolerate that) so I changed my hostnames to end in .private which is
    >> accepted by all the software I've installed since. If that name does
    >> leak out onto the internet, it won't resolve and probably never will
    >> unless TLDs start to take the form of character strings longer than
    >> three.

    > How many characters in "info" ??
    >
    > ;-)

    Can't say I've come across that one.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  3. Re: FQDN for Leafnode SOLUTION

    On 2008-01-11, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:52:10 +0000, Whiskers wrote:
    >>
    >> I couldn't get Leafnode to install on a system with a name ending in
    >> .invalid

    > Should have installed. You can fake it out by changing hostname in
    > /etc/leafnode/config to something it will accept and still leave the
    > node's FQDN whatever you like.

    But you can only use leafnode's config file /after/ you've installed the
    program.

    >> (and I think some other programs were also reluctant to tolerate that)

    > If you happen to remember any of their names, I would like to know.

    I'm afraid it was a while ago and I didn't keep notes. I think they were
    all associated with email or usenet. Since then I've simply stuck with
    ..private, which works for me.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  4. Re: FQDN for Leafnode SOLUTION

    On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 18:03:01 +0000, Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2008-01-11, Mark South wrote:
    >> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:52:10 +0000, Whiskers wrote:
    >>
    >>> I couldn't get Leafnode to install on a system with a name ending in
    >>> .invalid (and I think some other programs were also reluctant to
    >>> tolerate that) so I changed my hostnames to end in .private which is
    >>> accepted by all the software I've installed since. If that name does
    >>> leak out onto the internet, it won't resolve and probably never will
    >>> unless TLDs start to take the form of character strings longer than
    >>> three.

    >> How many characters in "info" ??
    >>
    >> ;-)

    > Can't say I've come across that one.

    Which is one of many. See:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...-level_domains
    http://data.iana.org/TLD/tlds-alpha-by-domain.txt

    Also the reserved TLDs: example, invalid, test, and localhost.

  5. Re: FQDN for Leafnode SOLUTION

    On 2008-01-11, Mark South wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 18:03:01 +0000, Whiskers wrote:

    >>> How many characters in "info" ??
    >>>
    >>> ;-)

    >> Can't say I've come across that one.

    > Which is one of many. See:
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...-level_domains
    > http://data.iana.org/TLD/tlds-alpha-by-domain.txt
    >
    > Also the reserved TLDs: example, invalid, test, and localhost.

    Never seen any of those 'more than three character' ones. But .private
    isn't listed so I'm pronably still in the clear.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  6. Re: FQDN for Leafnode SOLUTION

    on Saturday 12 January 2008 01:52
    Whiskers wrote:

    [snip]
    > Sorry to come in late in this thread.

    That's OK.

    > I couldn't get Leafnode to install on a system with a name ending in
    > .invalid

    [snip]

    Very odd. I have been installing leafnode (the genuine Mandriva RPMs)
    onto machines with names like "live.home.invalid" for years and never
    had a rejection at the installation stage. A refusal at the running
    stage is a different story.

    If it fails at the installation stage, I would suggest that you have
    found a bug.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  7. Re: FQDN for Leafnode SOLUTION

    On 2008-01-12, Peter D. wrote:
    > on Saturday 12 January 2008 01:52
    > in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >> Sorry to come in late in this thread.

    > That's OK.
    >
    >> I couldn't get Leafnode to install on a system with a name ending in
    >> .invalid

    > [snip]
    >
    > Very odd. I have been installing leafnode (the genuine Mandriva RPMs)
    > onto machines with names like "live.home.invalid" for years and never
    > had a rejection at the installation stage. A refusal at the running
    > stage is a different story.
    >
    > If it fails at the installation stage, I would suggest that you have
    > found a bug.

    I was probably installing from source rather than an RPM.

    --
    -- Whiskers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3