Errors on shut down - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Errors on shut down - Mandriva ; Every time I shut down the computer (running 2008.0 x86_64), I get an error which says: Shutting down Video Disk Recorder - FAILED I cannot find the application causing this error, and I can't see any log file for shut-down ...

  1. Errors on shut down

    Every time I shut down the computer (running 2008.0 x86_64), I get an
    error which says:

    Shutting down Video Disk Recorder - FAILED

    I cannot find the application causing this error, and I can't see any
    log file for shut-down errors. Can anyone help try tracking this down?

    Thanks

    Darius

  2. Re: Errors on shut down

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 10:03:09 -0500, Darius wrote:

    > Every time I shut down the computer (running 2008.0 x86_64), I get an
    > error which says:
    >
    > Shutting down Video Disk Recorder - FAILED

    In mcc select system/Manage system services (or run drakxservices), and look
    for the Video Disk Recorder service, and unselect the On boot option.

    You can do the same thing at the command line using "chkconfig vdrxxx off",
    where vdrxxx is the name of the file in /etc/rc.d/init.d, that starts/stops
    the recorder.

    I don't have the vdr installed. There may be a bug in its init script, so
    that it is trying to shutdown, even though it is not being started at boot.

    If you are not using the vdr, either uninstall it, or edit the script in
    /etc/rc.d/init.d, and just add an exit command, at the beginning of the script.
    Note that any changes made in the script, will be overwritten, the next time
    the package gets updated.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Errors on shut down

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 15:03:09 +0000, Darius wrote:

    > Every time I shut down the computer (running 2008.0 x86_64), I get an
    > error which says:
    >
    > Shutting down Video Disk Recorder - FAILED
    >
    > I cannot find the application causing this error, and I can't see any
    > log file for shut-down errors. Can anyone help try tracking this down?

    The application is Video Disk Recorder. It's called as vdr or something
    like that and set to start on boot. The normal reason to see this would be
    that during bootup it failed to start properly for some reason. When it
    fails to start properly, then it will always fail to shutdown properly. If
    you are not using your computer to record video then you have no reason to
    have vdr even installed. Just remove it, and that should get rid of the
    failed message. Otherwise, it has crashed and that's why you get the
    failed message on shutdown. One other possibility is that it was in the
    process of recording something when you shut down. But I don't think
    that's likely in your case. FWIW, I don't use vdr. I use mythtv.