2008 pcspkr apparently not working - Mandriva

This is a discussion on 2008 pcspkr apparently not working - Mandriva ; Has anyone else found 2008.0's pcspkr module to not work? I modprobed pcspkr, then booted with pcspkr in modprobe.preload, and it doesn't seem to be working. Either that or someone has made X default to visible flashing rather than audible ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. 2008 pcspkr apparently not working

    Has anyone else found 2008.0's pcspkr module to not work?

    I modprobed pcspkr, then booted with pcspkr in
    modprobe.preload, and it doesn't seem to be working. Either
    that or someone has made X default to visible flashing
    rather than audible beeping. There is mention on a Fedora
    list that the kernel is broken in handling pcspkr:

    http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedor.../msg00047.html

    However, I don't see a bug report at qa.mandriva.com about
    this problem.

    Any suggestions to troubleshoot it before I file a bug
    report?

    Thanks.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  2. Re: 2008 pcspkr apparently not working

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 04:31:41 GMT, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    > Has anyone else found 2008.0's pcspkr module to not work?

    Yes.

    > I modprobed pcspkr, then booted with pcspkr in
    > modprobe.preload, and it doesn't seem to be working. Either
    > that or someone has made X default to visible flashing
    > rather than audible beeping. There is mention on a Fedora
    > list that the kernel is broken in handling pcspkr:
    >
    > http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedor.../msg00047.html
    >
    > However, I don't see a bug report at qa.mandriva.com about
    > this problem.
    >
    > Any suggestions to troubleshoot it before I file a bug
    > report?

    Can you get the "System Bell" to work in "System Notifications"?
    I _can_. Open a konsole window -- attempt backspace at the prompt --
    BEEP!

    But, with `beep` installed and chmod'ed 4755, I get no toots from the
    speaker. I also have no "PC Spkr" listed in 'aumix` or 'alsamixer` --
    whereas there _is_ such an entry over on the MDK 10.2 box.

    And, it all JFW on the MDK 10.2 box.

    I've got one or two other "issues" with the 2008 install that are taking
    precedence over this buglet. Like 1440x900 video not filling the screen.
    I was going to get around to this, eventually. :-)

    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    *** Killfiling google posts:

  3. Re: 2008 pcspkr apparently not working

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 23:31:41 -0500, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    > Has anyone else found 2008.0's pcspkr module to not work?
    > I modprobed pcspkr, then booted with pcspkr in

    I have it working now. Loaded the module, used kcontrol to set the system bell
    to use the pc speaker, turned on the speaker in kmix, and set the volume to max.
    Had to restart kde, to get it to work, but it is working now.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: 2008 pcspkr apparently not working

    On 2007-12-30, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 23:31:41 -0500, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone else found 2008.0's pcspkr module to not work?
    >> I modprobed pcspkr, then booted with pcspkr in

    > I have it working now. Loaded the module, used kcontrol to set the system bell
    > to use the pc speaker, turned on the speaker in kmix, and set the volume to max.
    > Had to restart kde, to get it to work, but it is working now.

    Hmmm... Any idea what that setting in kcontrol does
    internally to the system? I don't use KDE or Gnome.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  5. Re: 2008 pcspkr apparently not working

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 13:36:43 -0500, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    > Hmmm... Any idea what that setting in kcontrol does
    > internally to the system? I don't use KDE or Gnome.

    It updates ~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals, setting UseSystemBell=true,so kde
    applications will use the pcspkr, instead of the visual notification.

    Have you checked aumix, to ensure the speaker is on, and the volume is set?

    Which window manager (if any), are you using?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  6. Re: 2008 pcspkr apparently not working

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 14:04:14 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 13:36:43 -0500, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    >
    >> Hmmm... Any idea what that setting in kcontrol does
    >> internally to the system? I don't use KDE or Gnome.

    > It updates ~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals, setting UseSystemBell=true, so kde
    > applications will use the pcspkr, instead of the visual notification.
    >
    > Have you checked aumix, to ensure the speaker is on, and the volume is set?
    >
    > Which window manager (if any), are you using?

    Here I find _no_ PC Spkr listed in alsamixer, aumix, nor kmix.
    Running KDE here.
    As I stated in another followup here, I _can_ get "System Bell" to work.
    I cannot get any other program (e.g., `beep`) to toot the speaker.

    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    *** Killfiling google posts:

  7. Re: 2008 pcspkr apparently not working

    On 2007-12-31, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 13:36:43 -0500, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    >
    >> Hmmm... Any idea what that setting in kcontrol does
    >> internally to the system? I don't use KDE or Gnome.

    > It updates ~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals, setting UseSystemBell=true, so kde
    > applications will use the pcspkr, instead of the visual notification.
    >
    > Have you checked aumix, to ensure the speaker is on, and the volume is set?
    >
    > Which window manager (if any), are you using?

    I'm using twm as my window manager.

    Mention of aumix possibly being connected with the PC
    speaker is interesting. I wonder since when is there
    supposed to be any connection. On my 2007.0 system,
    pressing Control-G at an xterm's csh prompt produces an
    audible beep from the PC speaker independent of "aumix -p 0"
    and "aumix -q" returning "speaker 0, 0".

    On my 2008.0 system, pressing Control-G at an xterm's csh
    prompt produces a visual flash on the xterm, kernel module
    pcspkr is loaded at boot (by /etc/modprobe.preload), and
    "aumix -q" returns the following:

    vol 81, 81, P
    pcm 100, 100
    speaker 100, 100
    line 100, 100, R
    mic 100, 100, P
    cd 100, 100, P
    igain 40, 40
    line1 100, 100, P
    dig1 0, 0
    phin 100, 100, P
    phout 100, 100, P
    video 100, 100, P

    Thanks for the info and suggestions. It's looking more like
    it's almost time to file a bug report.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  8. Re: 2008 pcspkr apparently not working

    On 2007-12-31, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 14:04:14 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >> On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 13:36:43 -0500, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hmmm... Any idea what that setting in kcontrol does
    >>> internally to the system? I don't use KDE or Gnome.

    >> It updates ~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals, setting UseSystemBell=true, so kde
    >> applications will use the pcspkr, instead of the visual notification.
    >>
    >> Have you checked aumix, to ensure the speaker is on, and the volume is set?
    >>
    >> Which window manager (if any), are you using?

    > Here I find _no_ PC Spkr listed in alsamixer, aumix, nor kmix.
    > Running KDE here.
    > As I stated in another followup here, I _can_ get "System Bell" to work.
    > I cannot get any other program (e.g., `beep`) to toot the speaker.

    What 'beep' program are you meaning? What does it actually
    call?

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  9. Re: 2008 pcspkr apparently not working

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:26:50 -0500, Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    > Here I find _no_ PC Spkr listed in alsamixer, aumix, nor kmix.

    In aumix, it's just called speaker.
    $ aumix -q
    speaker 100, 100

    > Running KDE here.

    Strange that kmix would not show the PC Speaker, on the output tab.

    > As I stated in another followup here, I _can_ get "System Bell" to work.
    > I cannot get any other program (e.g., `beep`) to toot the speaker.

    Just installed the beep package from contrib. Running beep, as root,
    does nothing here. Running it as a regular user gets
    [dave@hodgins ~]$ beep
    ioctl: Operation not permitted
    ioctl: Operation not permitted
    but, it does beep. This is running it in a kde konsole.

    Logging into a tty using alt+ctrl+f2, as root, beep does nothing. As
    a regular user, it works.

    Looks like a problem with the beep program, not the pc speaker module. See
    the man page for beep, which suggests running it with setuid root.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  10. Re: 2008 pcspkr apparently not working

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:39:00 -0500, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    > On my 2008.0 system, pressing Control-G at an xterm's csh
    > prompt produces a visual flash on the xterm, kernel module

    Try running "xterm +vb", or editing ~/.screenrc to turn the visual bell off.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  11. Re: 2008 pcspkr apparently not working

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:39:00 -0500, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    > On my 2008.0 system, pressing Control-G at an xterm's csh
    > prompt produces a visual flash on the xterm, kernel module

    Just tested it. xterm does not use ~/.screenrc. Add the folllowing to
    ~/.Xdefaults
    xterm*visualBell: false

    Then logout/in.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  12. Re: 2008 pcspkr apparently not working

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:55:00 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:26:50 -0500, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    >
    >> Here I find _no_ PC Spkr listed in alsamixer, aumix, nor kmix.

    > In aumix, it's just called speaker.
    > $ aumix -q
    > speaker 100, 100

    $ aumix -q
    vol 58, 58, P
    pcm 29, 29
    line 77, 77, P
    mic 0, 0, R
    cd 77, 77, P
    pcm2 48, 48
    igain 80, 80
    line1 77, 77, P
    dig1 0, 0
    phin 77, 77, P
    phout 77, 77, P
    video 100, 100, P
    $

    HUH??

    >> As I stated in another followup here, I _can_ get "System Bell" to work.
    >> I cannot get any other program (e.g., `beep`) to toot the speaker.

    > Just installed the beep package from contrib. Running beep, as root,
    > does nothing here. Running it as a regular user gets
    > [dave@hodgins ~]$ beep
    > ioctl: Operation not permitted
    > ioctl: Operation not permitted
    > but, it does beep. This is running it in a kde konsole.
    >
    > Logging into a tty using alt+ctrl+f2, as root, beep does nothing. As
    > a regular user, it works.

    No joy here that-a-way, either. (Maybe your root failure is the sound
    settings for "speaker" _for_ root.)

    /var/log/messages reveals nothing for all these attempts wiyh `beep`.

    > Looks like a problem with the beep program, not the pc speaker module.
    > See the man page for beep, which suggests running it with setuid root.

    I _do_ have it setuid root.
    I _did_ have the "ioctl: Operation not permitted" problem until I did that.

    And, like I said upthread, the identical configuration on MDK 10.2 works
    here.

    Too weird...

    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    *** Killfiling google posts:

  13. Re: 2008 pcspkr apparently not working

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 21:40:36 GMT, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    > On 2007-12-31, Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    >>> It updates ~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals, setting UseSystemBell=true, so kde
    >>> applications will use the pcspkr, instead of the visual notification.
    >>>
    >>> Have you checked aumix, to ensure the speaker is on, and the volume is set?
    >>>
    >>> Which window manager (if any), are you using?

    >> Here I find _no_ PC Spkr listed in alsamixer, aumix, nor kmix.
    >> Running KDE here.
    >> As I stated in another followup here, I _can_ get "System Bell" to work.
    >> I cannot get any other program (e.g., `beep`) to toot the speaker.

    > What 'beep' program are you meaning? What does it actually call?

    beep-1.2.2-7mdv2007.1

    Useful in a bash script to get the attention of the otherwise
    distracted....

    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    *** Killfiling google posts:

  14. Re: 2008 pcspkr apparently not working

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 20:54:31 -0500, Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    > $ aumix -q

    Strange that your system is not showing speaker in aumix.

    >> Looks like a problem with the beep program, not the pc speaker module.

    > And, like I said upthread, the identical configuration on MDK 10.2 works
    > here.

    I think it's a problem between the beep program, and changes in ioctl in the
    newer kernel.

    Try running 'echo -e "\a"'.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  15. Re: 2008 pcspkr apparently not working

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 10:18:19 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 20:54:31 -0500, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    >
    >> $ aumix -q

    > Strange that your system is not showing speaker in aumix.

    Or, any other mixer's display.

    >>> Looks like a problem with the beep program, not the pc speaker module.

    >> And, like I said upthread, the identical configuration on MDK 10.2 works
    >> here.

    > I think it's a problem between the beep program, and changes in ioctl in the
    > newer kernel.
    >
    > Try running 'echo -e "\a"'.

    OK! Diagnostic progress!
    echo'ing the BEL _does_ work -- from konsole!

    (I could swear I had already tried that several times before ....)

    Now to poke around with/in `pcspkr`.

    Do you know of any other app that toots the PC Speaker with various
    tones -- just to load it up and confirm once and for all that `beep`
    is snafu on MDV 2008?

    TNX & HNY
    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    *** Killfiling google posts:

  16. Re: 2008 pcspkr apparently not working

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 17:19:58 -0500, Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    > Do you know of any other app that toots the PC Speaker with various
    > tones -- just to load it up and confirm once and for all that `beep`
    > is snafu on MDV 2008?

    gnubeep (from the contrib package gnubeep), seems to work fine.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  17. Re: 2008 pcspkr apparently not working

    On 2007-12-31, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:39:00 -0500, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    >
    >> On my 2008.0 system, pressing Control-G at an xterm's csh
    >> prompt produces a visual flash on the xterm, kernel module

    > Just tested it. xterm does not use ~/.screenrc. Add the folllowing to
    > ~/.Xdefaults
    > xterm*visualBell: false
    >
    > Then logout/in.

    Many thanks to all who responded about the audible beep not
    working. It turns out pcspkr was working okay. With
    2008.0, doing

    /bin/echo -e '\a'

    made an audible beep in a non-X text console. Calling xterm
    with the "+vb" option or using the above line in .Xdefaults
    seems to have worked.

    Thanks.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  18. Re: 2008 pcspkr apparently not working

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 20:41:21 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 17:19:58 -0500, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    >
    >> Do you know of any other app that toots the PC Speaker with various
    >> tones -- just to load it up and confirm once and for all that `beep`
    >> is snafu on MDV 2008?

    > gnubeep (from the contrib package gnubeep), seems to work fine.

    Thanks, Dave!
    Great joy!
    `gnubeep` toots the speaker!
    `beep` no longer works on the newer kernels -- it would appear.

    HNY
    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    *** Killfiling google posts:

  19. Re: 2008 pcspkr apparently not working

    Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    > `beep` no longer works on the newer kernels -- it would appear.

    They should get a British boy scout to fix it.
    Their motto is "beep repaired"...

    --
    Garry Knight
    garryknight@gmx.net

  20. Re: 2008 pcspkr apparently not working

    On 2008-01-04, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 20:41:21 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >> On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 17:19:58 -0500, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    >>
    >>> Do you know of any other app that toots the PC Speaker with various
    >>> tones -- just to load it up and confirm once and for all that `beep`
    >>> is snafu on MDV 2008?

    >> gnubeep (from the contrib package gnubeep), seems to work fine.

    > Thanks, Dave!
    > Great joy!
    > `gnubeep` toots the speaker!
    > `beep` no longer works on the newer kernels -- it would appear.

    Yes, Dave, thank you very much for suggesting gnubeep. With
    gnubeep, I think I'll plan a bit of a surprise for another
    member of the household who uses the computers. Does anyone
    happen to know the frequencies and durations for the "Darth
    Vader" theme from the movies? :-)

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net