Re: Wireless connection help required - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Re: Wireless connection help required - Mandriva ; Can someone tell me where a network interface eg eth0 or ra0 is associated with a MAC address? I notice from the list of devices connected to my wireless ADSL router that the IP addresses for eth0 and ra0 are ...

  1. Re: Wireless connection help required

    Can someone tell me where a network interface eg eth0 or ra0 is
    associated with a MAC address? I notice from the list of devices
    connected to my wireless ADSL router that the IP addresses for eth0 and
    ra0 are associated with the same MAC address, which is not the MAC
    address for the wireless device.
    Thanks
    Grimble

  2. Re: Wireless connection help required

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:28:47 +0000, Grimble wrote:
    > Can someone tell me where a network interface eg eth0 or ra0 is
    > associated with a MAC address? I notice from the list of devices
    > connected to my wireless ADSL router that the IP addresses for eth0 and
    > ra0 are associated with the same MAC address, which is not the MAC
    > address for the wireless device.

    ------ standard Provide basic info include text follows -------------

    You may get more helpful answers when you provide details pertaining
    to your setup and problem, like Vendor (Fedora, red hat, *buntu, Mandriva,...),
    Release (10.x, 2007.x,,,, ). desktop (gnome,kde,..), command used,
    exact error message(s),..

    If running Mandriva, you could include cat /etc/product.id result, and please
    break the line in half for posting.

    Other Distributiion
    cat /etc/*release or cat /etc/*verision
    or try the command lsb_release -a

    Other people's Free advice:
    http://livinginternet.com/u/ua.htm <--- Advanced Usenet Usage
    http://tgos.org/newbie/rules.html <--- Good Usenet etiquette

    and do bookmark this very large, Frequently Asked Questions (faq) search engine
    key words(s) in the first box
    *linux* in Newsgroup box. You need to use the two
    asterisks around linux, pick English

    ------------- end basic info request text --------------------------------

    Assuming a recent supported release, you might look in
    /etc/udev/rules.d/61-net_config.rules
    /etc/iftab
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*0

  3. Re: Wireless connection help required

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 07:28:47 -0500, Grimble wrote:

    > Can someone tell me where a network interface eg eth0 or ra0 is
    > associated with a MAC address? I notice from the list of devices
    > connected to my wireless ADSL router that the IP addresses for eth0 and
    > ra0 are associated with the same MAC address, which is not the MAC
    > address for the wireless device.

    Within Mandriva, the only place I'm aware of, where the mac address is stored, is
    /etc/udev/rules.d/61-net_config.rules

    The line for any device can be deleted, and during the next boot, udev will update
    the file based on the current hardware.

    An example of where this is useful, happens when you've replaced a network card, and
    want it to be assigned eth0, instead of eth1.

    Which router, and wireless nic is in use? More info may help determing where
    the wireless nic is getting it's mac address from.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: Wireless connection help required

    >On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 07:28:47 -0500, Grimble wrote:

    >> Can someone tell me where a network interface eg eth0 or ra0 is
    >> associated with a MAC address? I notice from the list of devices
    >> connected to my wireless ADSL router that the IP addresses for eth0 and
    >> ra0 are associated with the same MAC address, which is not the MAC
    >> address for the wireless device.

    A MAC address is a physical address of a device. Those are both almost
    certainly your ethernet card mac address.
    Why would your machine have its own ports be associated with some external
    mac address? That would make no sense.

  5. Re: Wireless connection help required

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 07:28:47 -0500, Grimble wrote:
    >
    >> Can someone tell me where a network interface eg eth0 or ra0 is
    >> associated with a MAC address? I notice from the list of devices
    >> connected to my wireless ADSL router that the IP addresses for eth0 and
    >> ra0 are associated with the same MAC address, which is not the MAC
    >> address for the wireless device.

    > Within Mandriva, the only place I'm aware of, where the mac address is stored, is
    > /etc/udev/rules.d/61-net_config.rules
    >
    > The line for any device can be deleted, and during the next boot, udev will update
    > the file based on the current hardware.
    >
    > An example of where this is useful, happens when you've replaced a network card, and
    > want it to be assigned eth0, instead of eth1.
    >
    > Which router, and wireless nic is in use? More info may help determing where
    > the wireless nic is getting it's mac address from.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    As I posted on 23/12, original problem was not being able to connect to
    my SSID when I moved the kit to a new location.
    Mandriva 2007.0, RA2500 wireless card, Netgear DG834GT Wireless router.
    All works fine under another OS.
    61-net_config.rules (now) has two entries:
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*",
    SYSFS{address}=="00:16:17:52:ad:fd", NAME="eth0", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"

    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*",
    SYSFS{address}=="00:13:d3:81:1e:9c", NAME="ra0", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    /etc/iftab has three entries:
    eth1 mac 00:dc:10:00:70:87:f0:00
    eth0 mac 00:16:17:52:ad:fd
    ra0 mac 00:13:d3:81:1e:9c
    However, the DG834 shows as connected devices:
    # IP Address Device Name MAC Address
    1 192.168.0.3 HAYDN 00:16:17:52:AD:FD
    2 192.168.0.4 HAYDN 00:16:17:52:AD:FD
    3 192.168.0.6 NAS1 00:07:40:FB:C4:F8
    IP ...3 is ra0, IP...4 is eth0
    When I delete and recreate ra0, MCC/Wireless connection shows two
    networks. Mine is identified by the MAC address of the DSG834 rather
    than the ESSID. When I select it and try to connect, the message tells me
    I am associated with the other network.
    /etc/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:
    DEVICE=eth0
    BOOTPROTO=static
    IPADDR=192.168.0.4
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    NETWORK=192.168.0.0
    BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
    GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
    ONBOOT=yes
    METRIC=10
    MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no
    USERCTL=yes
    MS_DNS1=213.208.106.212
    MS_DNS2=213.208.106.213
    RESOLV_MODS=yes
    IPV6INIT=no
    IPV6TO4INIT=no

    /etc/network-scripts/ifcfg-ra0:
    DEVICE=ra0
    BOOTPROTO=static
    IPADDR=192.168.0.3
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
    ONBOOT=yes
    METRIC=35
    MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no
    USERCTL=yes
    MS_DNS1=213.208.106.212
    MS_DNS2=213.208.106.213
    RESOLV_MODS=yes
    WIRELESS_MODE=Managed
    WIRELESS_ENC_KEY="open my correct key"
    IPV6INIT=no
    IPV6TO4INIT=no

    Would love to get this solved so I can move the laptop out of the
    kitchen, which is
    where I have to get ethernet cable access to the DG834!

  6. Re: Wireless connection help required

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 06:58:29 -0500, Grimble wrote:

    > As I posted on 23/12, original problem was not being able to connect to
    > my SSID when I moved the kit to a new location.
    > IP ...3 is ra0, IP...4 is eth0

    I don't have much experience with wireless connections, but I don't think
    it is a good idea to have both ethernet and wireless connections, to the
    same device, active at the same time. At least, not while debugging.

    I'd try changing the eth0 to have onboot=no, and restarting the network
    service, to see what happens.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  7. Re: Wireless connection help required

    "David W. Hodgins" writes:

    >On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 06:58:29 -0500, Grimble wr=
    >ote:

    >> As I posted on 23/12, original problem was not being able to connect t=

    >> my SSID when I moved the kit to a new location.
    >> IP ...3 is ra0, IP...4 is eth0

    >I don't have much experience with wireless connections, but I don't thin=
    >it is a good idea to have both ethernet and wireless connections, to the=

    >same device, active at the same time. At least, not while debugging.

    >I'd try changing the eth0 to have onboot=3Dno, and restarting the networ=
    >service, to see what happens.

    Or just do
    ifdown eth0
    as root.
    The problem is with the routing. You can certainly have both up at the same
    time, but need to set up routing so the computer can figure out which to
    use for what.

  8. Re: Wireless connection help required

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 06:58:29 -0500, Grimble wrote:
    >
    >> As I posted on 23/12, original problem was not being able to connect to
    >> my SSID when I moved the kit to a new location.
    >> IP ...3 is ra0, IP...4 is eth0

    > I don't have much experience with wireless connections, but I don't think
    > it is a good idea to have both ethernet and wireless connections, to the
    > same device, active at the same time. At least, not while debugging.
    >
    > I'd try changing the eth0 to have onboot=no, and restarting the network
    > service, to see what happens.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    OK, this is what I did:
    1 Set both interfaces not to start at boot
    2 Switched off computer
    3 Switched off DG834 router
    4 Switched on router
    5 Switched on PC
    6 Used MCC/Monitor network to confirm no interfaces active
    7 #ifup ra0
    8 MCC/Monitor network shows ra0 sending, but NO packets received
    9 MCC/Wireless connection shows my ESSID and one other
    10 Selected my ESSID and tried to connect; progress message says
    Associated with wireless network "" on ra0. No connection.
    11 #ifup eth0
    12 DG834 shows IP Address Device Name MAC Address
    1 192.168.0.3 HAYDN 00:16:17:52:AD:FD
    2 192.168.0.4 HAYDN 00:16:17:52:AD:FD

    Unfortunately if there's no connection, I can't get the DG834 to show
    what's connected and how.
    It seems there's some sort of persistent connection with the eth0 MAC
    address.
    The string 00:16:17:52:AD:FD only occurs twice within /etc, in
    61-net_config.rules and iftab, both in association with eth0.
    The string ra0 only occurs twice within /etc in connection with a MAC,
    both times the correct one.
    Can't connect with my ESSID even if I switch off WEP encryption.
    Where do I look next?
    PS Happy New Year and thanks for your comments
    Grimble

  9. Re: Wireless connection help required

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 17:30:27 -0500, Grimble wrote:

    > 6 Used MCC/Monitor network to confirm no interfaces active
    > 7 #ifup ra0
    > 8 MCC/Monitor network shows ra0 sending, but NO packets received
    > 9 MCC/Wireless connection shows my ESSID and one other
    > 10 Selected my ESSID and tried to connect; progress message says
    > Associated with wireless network "" on ra0. No connection.

    I'm not familiar with wireless networking, but could the ra0 already
    be connected to the other essid? I don't know how, but there must be
    a way to disconnect ra0 from the other essid, so that you can then
    connect it to your essid. Just guessing here.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins