    Thanks
    Eric

  2. Re: mandiva install no cd only floppy

    On 2007-12-29, Eric wrote:
    > I've got a PIII 1-u system i mounted under my workbench in the garage. Its
    > got a floppy drive but no CD. Its presently running debian and network is
    > up and running. Is there a way i can install mandriva 2008 over it? I've
    > got 16 gig free space

    I like copying the CD or DVD to the hard disk, in a
    partition that will not be formatted during installation. I
    use the "boot.iso" image to get into the installer.
    Unfortunately, that image is still several megabytes. Does
    the machine have a USB port? Can you boot from a USB flash
    drive or from a USB CD drive?

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  3. Re: mandiva install no cd only floppy

    Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    > On 2007-12-29, Eric wrote:
    >> I've got a PIII 1-u system i mounted under my workbench in the garage.
    >> Its got a floppy drive but no CD. Its presently running debian and
    >> network is up and running. Is there a way i can install mandriva 2008
    >> over it? I've got 16 gig free space

    > I like copying the CD or DVD to the hard disk, in a
    > partition that will not be formatted during installation. I
    > use the "boot.iso" image to get into the installer.
    > Unfortunately, that image is still several megabytes. Does
    > the machine have a USB port? Can you boot from a USB flash
    > drive or from a USB CD drive?

    It has a USB port i think, but its hard to get at because of the mounting of
    the system under the bench top. Is there a way i can put the stuff i need
    on the HDD via the network connection?

  4. Re: mandiva install no cd only floppy

    Eric writes:

    >Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    >> On 2007-12-29, Eric wrote:
    >>> I've got a PIII 1-u system i mounted under my workbench in the garage.
    >>> Its got a floppy drive but no CD. Its presently running debian and
    >>> network is up and running. Is there a way i can install mandriva 2008
    >>> over it? I've got 16 gig free space

    >> I like copying the CD or DVD to the hard disk, in a
    >> partition that will not be formatted during installation. I
    >> use the "boot.iso" image to get into the installer.
    >> Unfortunately, that image is still several megabytes. Does
    >> the machine have a USB port? Can you boot from a USB flash
    >> drive or from a USB CD drive?
    >>

    >It has a USB port i think, but its hard to get at because of the mounting of
    >the system under the bench top. Is there a way i can put the stuff i need
    >on the HDD via the network connection?

    Sure, everything but the bootup into the installer. Unfortunately that is
    needed.

  5. Re: mandiva install no cd only floppy

    Unruh wrote:

    > Eric writes:
    >
    >>Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    >>> I like copying the CD or DVD to the hard disk, in a
    >>> partition that will not be formatted during installation. I
    >>> use the "boot.iso" image to get into the installer.
    >>> Unfortunately, that image is still several megabytes. Does
    >>> the machine have a USB port? Can you boot from a USB flash
    >>> drive or from a USB CD drive?
    >>>

    >>It has a USB port i think, but its hard to get at because of the mounting
    >>of the system under the bench top. Is there a way i can put the stuff i
    >>need on the HDD via the network connection?

    > Sure, everything but the bootup into the installer. Unfortunately that is
    > needed.

    How do i install the boot.iso to a usb key?

  6. Re: mandiva install no cd only floppy

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 05:18:34 GMT, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    > I like copying the CD or DVD to the hard disk, in a
    > partition that will not be formatted during installation. I
    > use the "boot.iso" image to get into the installer.

    Anyone know what root= argument to add if you want to boot install
    image from hard drive?

    With Fedora, you can copy vmlinuz and initrd.img from the iso to where
    you have downloaded the iso. You then create a grub stanza something like

    title fedora_iso
    kernel (hd0,13)/spare/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=fedora_iso ro vga=791
    initrd (hd0,13)/spare/initrd.img

    On boot, you pick fedora_iso and you will be installing from from the
    downloaded iso.

    I just tried the same thing with

    title spare
    kernel (hd1,0)/spare/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=spare root=/dev/sdb1
    initrd (hd1,0)/spare/all.img

    (vmlinuz, all.img came from DVD iso)

    and get
    RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at 0.
    VFS" cannot open root device "SDB1" or unknown-block(0,0)
    Please append correct "root=" boot option.

    Also, tried without the root=/dev/sdb1 argument and get the same
    message.

    Booted the DVD and mount shows something like

    rootfs on / type rootfs

  7. Re: mandiva install no cd only floppy

    on Saturday 29 December 2007 17:37
    Eric wrote:

    [snip]
    > How do i install the boot.iso to a usb key?

    Does the bios support booting from a usb device?

    Even if you can't boot from usb it should be
    possible to put the image somewhere on your hard disk
    where your existing boot loader can find it.

    Have you worked out how to read the documentation
    on the installation dvd?

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  8. Re: mandiva install no cd only floppy

    It looks to me like you can first put the install ISOs
    on your hard drive, and then use the hd_grub.img approach
    below to install from it.

    Instructions on how to mount the ISOs are here
    http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/v.../LoopbackMedia

    Instructions from the INSTALL.TXT file of Powerpack 2008
    (excerpted):

    3. Other installation methods
    $
    If for any reason the previous methods do not fit your needs (you
    want to perform a network install, an install from pcmcia devices
    or...), you will also need to make a boot floppy:
    $
    * Under Linux (or other modern UNIX systems) type at prompt:
    $ dd if=xxxxx.img of=/dev/fd0$
    * Under Windows, follow the method described in point 2, but
    using xxxxx.img (see below) instead of$
    cdrom.img.$
    * Under DOS, assuming your CD is drive D:, type:$
    D:\> dosutils\rawrite.exe -f install\images\xxxxx.img -d A
    $
    Here the list of boot images:$
    $

    +-----------------+------------------------------------------------------+

    +-----------------+------------------------------------------------------+

    +-----------------+------------------------------------------------------+

    +-----------------+------------------------------------------------------+
    | pcmcia.img | install from pcmcia devices (warning, most
    pcmcia network adapters are now directly ssupported from network.img)

    +-----------------+------------------------------------------------------+$
    $
    You may also burn boot.iso on a CDROM and boot from it. It
    supports all installations methods, cdrom, network, and hard-disk.
    $
    ================================================== ==========================$
    $
    You can also use a text mode installation if, for any reason,$
    you have trouble with the default graphical installation. To use it,$
    press [F1] at Mandriva Linux welcome screen, then type$
    text at the prompt.$
    $
    If you need to rescue your existing Mandriva Linux system,$
    insert your Installation CDROM (or any relevant boot floppy), press$
    [F1] at Mandriva Linux welcome screen, then type$
    rescue at the prompt.$
    $
    See http://www.mandrivalinux.com/drakx/README $
    for more technical information.$
    $
    ================================================== ==========================$
    $
    Below are the main stages of installation:$
    $
    1. Insert your Installation CDROM (or Installation Floppy disk if$
    necessary) and restart your machine.$
    2. Press [Enter] when the Mandriva Linux welcome screen$
    appears and carefully follow the instructions.$

    So,

    Get the ISOs off the net and onto your hard drive.
    Mount them. /* Maybe not needed for install ? */
    Configure your hd_grub.img at http://qa.mandriva.com/hd_grub.cgi
    Use dd to create a floppy boot disk.
    Boot from that, using the hd_grub.img.

    DISCLAIMER:
    I have not idea if there are any "tricks of the trade"
    involved but not covered in the above. I seem to remember
    this question coming up before, so searching for floppy
    install in this forum over the last year or two might turn
    up more info.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  9. Re: mandiva install no cd only floppy

    ================================================== ==========================$

    ================================================== ==========================$
    > $
    > Below are the main stages of installation:$
    > $
    > 1. Insert your Installation CDROM (or Installation Floppy disk if$
    > necessary) and restart your machine.$
    > 2. Press [Enter] when the Mandriva Linux welcome screen$
    > appears and carefully follow the instructions.$
    >
    > So,
    >
    > Get the ISOs off the net and onto your hard drive.
    > Mount them. /* Maybe not needed for install ? */
    > Configure your hd_grub.img at http://qa.mandriva.com/hd_grub.cgi
    > Use dd to create a floppy boot disk.
    > Boot from that, using the hd_grub.img.
    >
    > DISCLAIMER:
    > I have not idea if there are any "tricks of the trade"
    > involved but not covered in the above. I seem to remember
    > this question coming up before, so searching for floppy
    > install in this forum over the last year or two might turn
    > up more info.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

    Thanks Jim, I'll be working on it this weekend and I'll post back the
    results once I have it figured out and working. BTW: i tried making a USB
    key boot, I downloaded the 2008 boot.iso image, partitioned a 1Gig USB Key
    as FAT 16 using "Mandriva Linux Control Center"
    Then from a konsole window (per my memory):
    mkdosfs /dev/sdc1
    dd if=/usr/lib/syslinux/mbr.bin of=/dev/sdc1
    syslinux /dev/sdc1
    mkdir /tmp/usb
    mkdir /tmp/boot
    mount -o loop boot.iso /tmp/boot
    mount -t vfat(? did i use vfat or fat?) /dev/sdc1 /tmp/usb
    cp -r /tmp/boot/* /tmp/usb
    Then reboot and select USB Key as primary boot device.
    The boot process trys to boot the USB key but all i ever get out of it is a
    screen message "Boot Error"
    My thought is that because boot.iso appears to oriented around isolinux and
    the key is set for syslinux there may be a problem there that I'm not sure
    how to resolve.
    Eric

  10. Re: mandiva install no cd only floppy

    Eric writes:

> [...]

    >> this question coming up before, so searching for floppy
    >> install in this forum over the last year or two might turn
    >> up more info.
    >>
    >> Cheers!
    >>
    >> jim b.
    >>

    >Thanks Jim, I'll be working on it this weekend and I'll post back the
    >results once I have it figured out and working. BTW: i tried making a USB
    >key boot, I downloaded the 2008 boot.iso image, partitioned a 1Gig USB Key
    >as FAT 16 using "Mandriva Linux Control Center"
    >Then from a konsole window (per my memory):
    > mkdosfs /dev/sdc1
    > dd if=/usr/lib/syslinux/mbr.bin of=/dev/sdc1
    > syslinux /dev/sdc1
    > mkdir /tmp/usb
    > mkdir /tmp/boot
    > mount -o loop boot.iso /tmp/boot
    > mount -t vfat(? did i use vfat or fat?) /dev/sdc1 /tmp/usb

    That was teh wrong thing to do. It did not install a bootloader onto the
    usb device.
    What you were supposed to do was to
    dd if=all.img of=/dev/sdc
    NOT sdc1. The image contains the bootloader which goes into the very first
    sector on the disk.
    The iso is a CD image. You might be able to copy it directly to the flash
    as well, but I am not sure of that.

    >Then reboot and select USB Key as primary boot device.
    >The boot process trys to boot the USB key but all i ever get out of it is a
    >screen message "Boot Error"
    >My thought is that because boot.iso appears to oriented around isolinux and
    >the key is set for syslinux there may be a problem there that I'm not sure
    >how to resolve.

    No, the problem is as above that the flash never got a bootloader put onto
    it.

    >Eric

  11. Re: mandiva install no cd only floppy

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 20:34:17 -0800, Eric wrote:

    > I've got a PIII 1-u system i mounted under my workbench in the garage.
    > Its got a floppy drive but no CD. Its presently running debian and
    > network is up and running. Is there a way i can install mandriva 2008
    > over it? I've got 16 gig free space
    > Thanks
    > Eric

    Pull the CD drive out of your main computer and temporarily install it
    into this one and do your install. Barring that, I'm sure you can find a
    CD drive somewhere for about $5 or a new DVD burner for under $35. A
    whole lot easier than all these work arounds your considering.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

+ Reply to Thread