Javascript:void(0); - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Javascript:void(0); - Mandriva ; Hi: I am testing a wordsearch made with a software suite called HotPotatoes and was wondering if someone else could check this link that was written by another developer. The crossword uses a technique called "audiogloss" where if you hover ...

  1. Javascript:void(0);

    Hi:

    I am testing a wordsearch made with a software suite called HotPotatoes
    and was wondering if someone else could check this link that was written
    by another developer. The crossword uses a technique called "audiogloss"
    where if you hover over a link a sound is played/heard automatically. It
    uses javascript. So far the feedback from others is that it woks
    perfectly well on Win/Mac OSX platforms but it does not seem to work for
    me on my Linux box. Here is the link:

    http://www.ewbooks.info/hotpot/asset...mal_sounds.htm

    Any ideas?

    Marc

  2. Re: Javascript:void(0);

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 06:30:45 -0500, Marc Paré wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > I am testing a wordsearch made with a software suite called HotPotatoes
    > and was wondering if someone else could check this link that was written
    > by another developer. The crossword uses a technique called "audiogloss"
    > where if you hover over a link a sound is played/heard automatically. It
    > uses javascript. So far the feedback from others is that it woks
    > perfectly well on Win/Mac OSX platforms but it does not seem to work for
    > me on my Linux box. Here is the link:
    >
    > http://www.ewbooks.info/hotpot/asset...mal_sounds.htm
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Heheheh, Went to the site. Instructions indicate you are to click the
    number to get the hint. It does not indicate hover will play the sound
    automagically. It does play sound when clicking the number.

    Quick look at the code, shows a few comments like
    o //Special for IE bug -- hide all the form elements that will show
    through the popup
    o /* Hack to hide a nested Quicktime player from IE, which can't handle it. */
    o //IE HAS RENDERING BUG WITH BOTTOM NAVBAR

    My WAG is the bug is in the other two browsers which automagically
    play the sound instead of waiting for the click.

  3. Re: Javascript:void(0);

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 06:30:45 -0500, Marc Paré wrote:
    >> Hi:
    >>
    >> I am testing a wordsearch made with a software suite called HotPotatoes
    >> and was wondering if someone else could check this link that was written
    >> by another developer. The crossword uses a technique called "audiogloss"
    >> where if you hover over a link a sound is played/heard automatically. It
    >> uses javascript. So far the feedback from others is that it woks
    >> perfectly well on Win/Mac OSX platforms but it does not seem to work for
    >> me on my Linux box. Here is the link:
    >>
    >> http://www.ewbooks.info/hotpot/asset...mal_sounds.htm

    Neither the clik on the number nor the cursor hover
    yield an audible clue.

    IcedTea Java7, on an nVidia nForce 410 GeForce 6100 AM2
    motherboard, 2.6.23.11-tmb-desktop-1mdv x86_64 AMD
    Athlon(tm) 64 X2 5000+ GNU/Linux.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  4. Re: Javascript:void(0);

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 16:04:34 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:

    > Neither the clik on the number nor the cursor hover
    > yield an audible clue.

    Heheh, guess I will not be installing 64 bit OS for another year.

    I did notice no audio on number boxes going across/down. I had to click the
    hint button which show up after clicking the number.

  5. Re: Javascript:void(0);

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 16:04:34 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    >> Neither the clik on the number nor the cursor hover
    >> yield an audible clue.

    > Heheh, guess I will not be installing 64 bit OS for another year.
    >
    > I did notice no audio on number boxes going across/down. I had to click the
    > hint button which show up after clicking the number.

    Tried that too. Click on the hint button provided a letter
    but nothing audible.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  6. Re: Javascript:void(0);

    Jim Beard a crit :
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >> On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 16:04:34 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:
    >>
    >>> Neither the clik on the number nor the cursor hover
    >>> yield an audible clue.

    >> Heheh, guess I will not be installing 64 bit OS for another year.
    >>
    >> I did notice no audio on number boxes going across/down. I had to
    >> click the
    >> hint button which show up after clicking the number.

    > Tried that too. Click on the hint button provided a letter
    > but nothing audible.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

    Thanks for your help Bit Twister and Jim. I will send a comment on to
    the developer and maybe he will be able to fix it.

    Cheers

    Marc

  7. Re: Javascript:void(0);

    Bit Twister a écrit :
    > On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 06:30:45 -0500, Marc Paré wrote:
    >> Hi:
    >>
    >> I am testing a wordsearch made with a software suite called HotPotatoes
    >> and was wondering if someone else could check this link that was written
    >> by another developer. The crossword uses a technique called "audiogloss"
    >> where if you hover over a link a sound is played/heard automatically. It
    >> uses javascript. So far the feedback from others is that it woks
    >> perfectly well on Win/Mac OSX platforms but it does not seem to work for
    >> me on my Linux box. Here is the link:
    >>
    >> http://www.ewbooks.info/hotpot/asset...mal_sounds.htm
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > Heheheh, Went to the site. Instructions indicate you are to click the
    > number to get the hint. It does not indicate hover will play the sound
    > automagically. It does play sound when clicking the number.
    >
    > Quick look at the code, shows a few comments like
    > o //Special for IE bug -- hide all the form elements that will show
    > through the popup
    > o /* Hack to hide a nested Quicktime player from IE, which can't handle it. */
    > o //IE HAS RENDERING BUG WITH BOTTOM NAVBAR
    >
    > My WAG is the bug is in the other two browsers which automagically
    > play the sound instead of waiting for the click.

    Hi Bit Twister:

    Did you check this on your Linux box? I can't get the sound to play at all.

    Marc

  8. Re: Javascript:void(0);

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 16:30:10 -0500, Marc Paré wrote:

    > Did you check this on your Linux box?

    Never thought to boot windows to see how it works there.

    $ cat /etc/release

    > I can't get the sound to play at all.

    Based on comments in the cond, I wonder if you need a quicktime plugin
    to play sound.

    Current plugin list in about:config
    MozPlugger 1.8.1 handles QuickTime and Windows Media Player Plugin
    Totem Web Browser Plugin 2.20.1
    Helix DNA Plugin: RealPlayer G2 Plug-In Compatible (compatible; Totem)
    Windows Media Player Plug-in 10 (compatible; Totem)
    DivX® Web Player
    QuickTime Plug-in 7.2.0
    Shockwave Flash
    Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_03-b05
    mplayerplug-in 3.45
    DivX Browser Plug-In mplayerplug-in 3.45
    Google VLC multimedia plugin 1.0
    QuickTime Plug-in 6.0 / 7
    RealPlayer 9
    Windows Media Player Plugin
    Default Plugin

  9. Re: Javascript:void(0);

    Bit Twister a écrit :
    > On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 16:30:10 -0500, Marc Paré wrote:
    >> Did you check this on your Linux box?

    > Never thought to boot windows to see how it works there.
    >
    > $ cat /etc/release
    > Mandriva Linux release 2008.0 (Official) for i586
    >
    >> I can't get the sound to play at all.

    > Based on comments in the cond, I wonder if you need a quicktime plugin
    > to play sound.
    >
    > Current plugin list in about:config
    > MozPlugger 1.8.1 handles QuickTime and Windows Media Player Plugin
    > Totem Web Browser Plugin 2.20.1
    > Helix DNA Plugin: RealPlayer G2 Plug-In Compatible (compatible; Totem)
    > Windows Media Player Plug-in 10 (compatible; Totem)
    > DivX® Web Player
    > QuickTime Plug-in 7.2.0
    > Shockwave Flash
    > Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_03-b05
    > mplayerplug-in 3.45
    > DivX Browser Plug-In mplayerplug-in 3.45
    > Google VLC multimedia plugin 1.0
    > QuickTime Plug-in 6.0 / 7
    > RealPlayer 9
    > Windows Media Player Plugin
    > Default Plugin

    Just found out the problem. The new Flash plugin works better than the
    older versions. After installing it, all works as it should!

    Thanks for the feedback and the help.

    Marc

+ Reply to Thread