Multiple users: Icons - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Multiple users: Icons - Mandriva ; With 2 users defined (by default in separate groups), I am puzzled why MCC offers an icon for each user, but doesn't show it (i.e. the icon doesn't appear in a 'login' situation (as e.g. Windows XP does)). Do perhaps ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

  1. Multiple users: Icons

    With 2 users defined (by default in separate groups), I am
    puzzled why MCC offers an icon for each user, but doesn't show
    it (i.e. the icon doesn't appear in a 'login' situation (as e.g.
    Windows XP does)).

    Do perhaps users have to be in the same group, for example?

    (I tried the 'Help' button under MCC/System/Users & Groups, but
    was shown "No help entry for userdrake". How does one install
    such Help? (Same problem in many other areas; e.g. "No index".)

    I also find that switching between users - usually taking just a
    few seconds - can occasionally take over a minute (and once
    locked the system solid).

    Also, although never doing Lock & Switch, sometimes I am asked
    for a password when switching, and sometimes not.

    These inconsistencies bother me.

    Anyone else found any of these?
    --
    /\/\aurice

  2. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 12:07:57 +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > With 2 users defined (by default in separate groups), I am puzzled why
    > MCC offers an icon for each user, but doesn't show it (i.e. the icon
    > doesn't appear in a 'login' situation (as e.g. Windows XP does)).
    >
    > Do perhaps users have to be in the same group, for example?

    No. You just have to change the login manager. Used to be able to do it in
    MCC. I haven't looked. Otherwise, it's somewhere in the init files if both
    methods are still available. Yep. MCC-Boot-Set up display manager.

    > (I tried the 'Help' button under MCC/System/Users & Groups, but was
    > shown "No help entry for userdrake". How does one install such Help?
    > (Same problem in many other areas; e.g. "No index".)

    By installing the help files.

    file:///usr/share/doc/mandriva/en/Drakxtools-Guide/Drakxtools-Guide.html/
    userdrake.html

    > I also find that switching between users - usually taking just a few
    > seconds - can occasionally take over a minute (and once locked the
    > system solid).

    WAG. Add ram if you're talking about switching without logging out.

    > Also, although never doing Lock & Switch, sometimes I am asked for a
    > password when switching, and sometimes not.

    Once logged into 2 sessions, which I don't do normally, you should be able
    to switch back and forth freely. If a user wants his stuff protected when
    leaving, they should lock that session.

    > These inconsistencies bother me.
    >
    > Anyone else found any of these?

    None of those, but there's plenty of stuff I don't like the way they do it
    sometimes. Don't they know they're only doing this for me and should do it
    the way I want it.:-)

    Actually, I just wiped out a 2007 version and reloaded it with MythDora
    because the standard kernel didn't compile in the mceusb module.
    Considering they did compile in the mceusb2 module I thought that was
    really dumb. And while I've recompiled the kernel many times, I just
    didn't feel like screwing with it this time. mceusb is compiled in in 2008
    btw, but for how I use that box (MythTV frontend/slave) Mythdora or
    Knoppmyth is easier. Although even with them there's problems running a
    slave backend server. Damn, they don't customize it for me either.:-)

  3. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 17:17:13 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

    >> [quoted text muted]

    > No. You just have to change the login manager.
    > ... MCC-Boot-Set up display manager.

    Went there, but all there is to see is:

    "O KDM (KDE Display Manager)"

    with no alternative options. What is one supposed to do here?

    > By installing the help files.
    >
    > file:///usr/share/doc/mandriva/en/Drakxtools-Guide/Drakxtools-Guide.html/
    > userdrake.html

    (No such files here, and not sure how to get them, BUT when I
    went into 'MCC - Boot - Set Up Display Manager' and pressed
    'Help' it actually did fetch those files and install them!)

    But it doesn't answer my question, i.e. why does
    MCC/System/Users invite selection of a user icon, but not display
    it at a 'login' situation (instead, just inviting entry of
    userid)?

    This is not a problem, per se. I'm just curious, Wes!

    --
    /\/\aurice

  4. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 17:50:57 +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 17:17:13 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:
    >
    >>> [quoted text muted]

    >> No. You just have to change the login manager. ... MCC-Boot-Set up
    >> display manager.

    > Went there, but all there is to see is:
    >
    > "O KDM (KDE Display Manager)"
    >
    > with no alternative options. What is one supposed to do here?
    >
    >> By installing the help files.
    >>
    >> file:///usr/share/doc/mandriva/en/Drakxtools-Guide/Drakxtools-

    Guide.html/
    >> userdrake.html

    > (No such files here, and not sure how to get them, BUT when I
    > went into 'MCC - Boot - Set Up Display Manager' and pressed 'Help' it
    > actually did fetch those files and install them!)
    >
    > But it doesn't answer my question, i.e. why does MCC/System/Users invite
    > selection of a user icon, but not display it at a 'login' situation
    > (instead, just inviting entry of userid)?
    >
    > This is not a problem, per se. I'm just curious, Wes!

    Because the other display manager (GDM) uses it. The reason you don't have
    is because you didn't select it during install. Install the Gnome display
    manager/desktop and you should then see it.

  5. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 20:30:57 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

    > Install the Gnome display
    > manager/desktop and you should then see it.

    Aaahhh! [The mists clear....]

    --
    /\/\aurice

  6. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 07:07:57 -0500, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > Also, although never doing Lock & Switch, sometimes I am asked
    > for a password when switching, and sometimes not.

    I haven't checked it, but if it's using sudo, do do the switch, sudo
    has a default "remember my password", for 5 minutes. See the timestamp_timeout
    in man sudoers. In /etc/sudoers, I've overridden mine with ...

    Defaults:dave timestamp_timeout=15

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  7. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 20:53:36 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > if it's using sudo do do the switch

    Hadn't thought it might do that, or why it might.

    But thanks for the tip on how to adjust the password timeout,
    Dave.

    --
    /\/\aurice

  8. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 20:30:57 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

    > Install the Gnome display
    > manager/desktop and you should then see it.

    Just out of curiousity - on the now superfluous installation
    of 2008.0 PP on the external USB drive (the one that will not
    operate multiple users...) - I installed GDM, went into
    MCC/Boot/Select Display Manager, saw there was now a 'GDM'
    button, selected it, and hit OK.
    The change was confirmed, so then rebooted, expecting to see a
    Gnome desktop.

    Well, during reboot there was a difference: Instead of pair of
    white slots for Username & Password, there was just one, for
    Username, and after entering username a Password window appeared.

    Then - the system booted up my usual **KDE** desktop!

    (Checked MCC/Boot/Select Display Manager: 'GDM' still selected.)

    What have I omitted to do?

    --
    /\/\aurice

  9. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 08:32:56 -0500, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > Then - the system booted up my usual **KDE** desktop!
    > (Checked MCC/Boot/Select Display Manager: 'GDM' still selected.)

    I don't use run level 5, but XDM, KDM, and GDM should all allow you
    to specify whether to start KDE, GNOME, etc, as the session type.

    If the session type has not been selected in the DM, /etc/X11/Xsession
    will use ~/.desktop, or if that's not found, the file /etc/sysconfig/desktop
    is used. For either, it's looking for the DESKTOP variable. If DESKTOP
    hasn't been set, "/usr/sbin/chksession -F" is used, to get the first installed
    DESKTOP, as shown by /etc/X11/wmsession.d/*

    Even if you are not familiar with bash and perl scripts, skimming through
    the above files will at least let you know which files are being checked.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  10. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 12:34:25 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > If the session type has not been selected in the DM, /etc/X11/Xsession
    > will use ~/.desktop,

    (Not found)

    or if that's not found, the file /etc/sysconfig/desktop
    > is used. For either, it's looking for the DESKTOP variable.

    In there, just one line: "DISPLAYMANAGER=GNOME".

    But still boots up in KDE...

    Suggestions welcome!

    --
    /\/\aurice

  11. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 09:21:22 -0500, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > In there, just one line: "DISPLAYMANAGER=GNOME".

    That's the display manager (i.e. login manager), not the desktop
    window manager.

    > But still boots up in KDE...

    echo "DESKTOP=GNOME">~/.desktop
    logout & login

    (This assumes you have gnome installed, of course).

    To get back to kde
    echo "DESKTOP=KDE">~/.desktop
    logout & login

    If you look at the session options in the display/login mangager, it
    should allow you to override which desktop window manager gets loaded.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  12. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    Maurice Batey wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 12:34:25 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >
    >> If the session type has not been selected in the DM, /etc/X11/Xsession
    >> will use ~/.desktop,

    > (Not found)
    >
    > or if that's not found, the file /etc/sysconfig/desktop
    >> is used. For either, it's looking for the DESKTOP variable.

    > In there, just one line: "DISPLAYMANAGER=GNOME".
    >
    > But still boots up in KDE...
    >
    > Suggestions welcome!

    I think the crucial location for selecting the display manager
    and desktop is /etc/X11/prefdm. Basically, the desktop and
    display manager may be different, so you can be running the
    Gnome display manager yet have the KDE desktop.

    In a terminal window, try
    echo $DESKTOP
    echo $DISPLAYMANAGER

    Then, you have to find where these things are set. Usual
    places are in or below /etc/X11, in the user's home
    directory as a dot file (.xsomethingrc for example) or
    maybe in /etc/sysconfig somewhere.

    You can use grep -R * using the recursion option and
    a wildcard to look for files containing the words you
    are interested in, in the current and subordinate
    directories. To search in the dot files, you
    have to put the dot in explicitly, as in
    grep -R \.[A-z]* something
    to search for something in dotfiles with names starting
    with an alphabetic character.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  13. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 09:43:13 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > echo "DESKTOP=GNOME">~/.desktop
    > logout & login

    Did that - no change. Looked in MCC/Software but could see no
    'Gnome Desktop' to install, so tried "urpmi gnome-desktop' and
    re-booted. No difference.

    But I thought it was Display Manager that handled the 'login'
    procedure (hence the user icons), and that therefore
    installing and selecting GDM would do the trick. It's not my aim
    or wish to have a Gnome desktop...

    The only visible change from all I have tried is that - as I said
    earlier - at Login tome I now see a single 'Enter username'
    window, which when entered gives way to an 'Enter Password'
    window (whereas I had wlways seen a twin windoew for both).

    > If you look at the session options in the display/login
    > mangager, it should allow you to override which desktop
    > window manager gets loaded.

    Apart from 'Select Display Manager' in MCC/Boot (which I have
    already used to select GDM) I canot find a 'display/login'
    manager with such 'session options'...

    Just to re-state my original question: How does one see the user
    icons set up in MCC/System/Manage Users?

    (I asked only because the SO has converted to Linux from WinXP,
    and misses the convenient user icons the latter puts out at login
    time. But as she has got used to KDE I would not want to change
    to a Gnome desktop!)

    --
    /\/\aurice

  14. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 17:35:57 +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 09:43:13 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >
    >> echo "DESKTOP=GNOME">~/.desktop
    >> logout & login

    > Did that - no change. Looked in MCC/Software but could see no
    > 'Gnome Desktop' to install, so tried "urpmi gnome-desktop' and
    > re-booted. No difference.

    Yep. Forget it. Icons are no longer supported in the default GDM login.
    You might be able to get them some way, but it's not worth the time or
    effort for eye candy. Might try xdm if it really bothers you.

    gdm - The GNOME Display Manager​

    Gdm (the GNOME Display Manager) is a highly configurable reimplementation
    of xdm, the X Display Manager. Gdm allows you to log into your system with
    the X Window System running and supports running several different X
    sessions on your local machine at the same time.

    xdm - X Display Manager with support for XDMCP​

    Xdm manages a collection of X displays, which may be on the local host or
    remote servers. The design of xdm was guided by the needs of X terminals
    as well as The Open Group standard XDMCP, the X Display Manager Control
    Protocol. Xdm provides services similar to those provided by init, getty
    and login on character terminals: prompting for login name and password,
    authenticating the user, and running a session.

  15. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 18:02:39 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

    > Might try xdm if it really bothers you.

    None there either.:-)

  16. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 18:02:39 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

    > Yep. Forget it.

    Agreed!
    --
    /\/\aurice

  17. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    Quoth Maurice Batey :

    > Just to re-state my original question: How does one see the user
    > icons set up in MCC/System/Manage Users?
    >
    > (I asked only because the SO has converted to Linux from WinXP,
    > and misses the convenient user icons the latter puts out at login
    > time. But as she has got used to KDE I would not want to change
    > to a Gnome desktop!)

    I understand what you want. It's the way my own family prefers it.

    As root, edit /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc... the pertinent options are as
    follows:

    UseTheme=false <-----That's the one that gets you back to vanilla

    UserList=true <-----We prefer names and icons. false=icons only.

    You will now see the familiar (and familial) plain ol' KDE or Gnome login
    window. With user icons and all if they are part of each's design.

    You may also wish to make changes in /usr/share/config/kdm/backgroundrc.
    And you can go ahead and read /usr/share/config/kdm/README.

    (Note: the default "greeter theme" can be tweaked if yer into xml,
    see: /usr/share/mdk/ & /usr/share/config/kdm/themes/ )
    --
    The Man in the Yellow Hat
    Linux with a monkey, since 1996.

  18. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 23:43:05 +0000, Big Yellow Hats wrote:

    .... edit /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc...

    > UseTheme=false
    >
    > UserList=true

    OK - set those two values as above. (UserList was commented out)

    Interesting result (running KDM/KDE Desktop):

    Instead of just twin User/Password keyin windows, there is now a
    large panel:

    Main header: "Welcome to localhost"
    On left: Panel showing all user names and logins
    On right: Username & Password keyin windows
    Below: 'Login' and 'Menu' options.

    That's fine, but still no sign of the image thumbnail icons
    that 'MCC/System/Manage Users' invites selection of when adding
    or modifying a user entry.

    Is it those that are only seen if using the Gnome Display
    Manager?
    Or can you tell me how to persuade KDM to show them?!
    That would be great!
    --
    /\/\aurice

  19. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 12:19:59 -0500, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > That's fine, but still no sign of the image thumbnail icons
    > that 'MCC/System/Manage Users' invites selection of when adding
    > or modifying a user entry.

    Looks like userdrake is storing the icons in /usr/share/faces. You can either
    modify kdmrc to look there, or select the picture you want for the user and
    copy it to ~/.face

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  20. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    Quoth David W. Hodgins :

    > On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 12:19:59 -0500, Maurice Batey
    > wrote:
    >
    >> That's fine, but still no sign of the image thumbnail icons
    >> that 'MCC/System/Manage Users' invites selection of when adding
    >> or modifying a user entry.

    > Looks like userdrake is storing the icons in /usr/share/faces. You can
    > either modify kdmrc to look there, or select the picture you want for the
    > user and copy it to ~/.face

    ....if you use the /home/username/.face option you need to allow users to
    choose their own face icon. There's a setting in the administrator mode
    of kcontrol's "login manager-->users" to do just that.