Multiple users: Icons - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Multiple users: Icons - Mandriva ; On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 13:57:41 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote: > Looks like userdrake is storing the icons in /usr/share/faces. Ah, yes - there are the .png files for the 2 users... > You can either modify kdmrc to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42

  1. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 13:57:41 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > Looks like userdrake is storing the icons in /usr/share/faces.

    Ah, yes - there are the .png files for the 2 users...

    > You can either modify kdmrc to look there,

    Have scoured the file, but can't see which line needs to be
    modified. Anyone know, please?

    --
    /\/\aurice

  2. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 13:06:46 -0500, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > Have scoured the file, but can't see which line needs to be
    > modified. Anyone know, please?

    Just tried Big Yellow Hats suggestion, of running kcontrol (as root), toupdate
    the /etc/kde/kdmrc file. It supports selecting which icon to display, for each
    user, as well, and will copy the icon to the directory used by kdm.

    One problem with that approach, is that kcontrol strips all of the comment lines
    from the updated file. Still had kdmrc~, which I've now copied, to kdmrc.keep.

    Anyway, the lines from kdmrc.keep that control where the icons are loaded from are ...
    # Specify, where the users' pictures should be taken from.
    # "AdminOnly" - from /$USER.face[.icon]
    # "PreferAdmin" - prefer , fallback on $HOME
    # "PreferUser" - ... and the other way round
    # "UserOnly" - from the user's $HOME/.face[.icon]
    # Default is AdminOnly
    FaceSource=PreferUser
    # The directory containing the user images if FaceSource is not UserOnly..
    # Default is "/usr/share/apps/kdm/faces"
    FaceDir=/usr/share/mdk/faces

    Note the names of the files. In the face dir, the names must be in the
    format $user.face or $user.icon, while in the user's home directory,
    just .face, or .icon

    If you've lost the comment lines in /etc/kde/kdm, you may want to force a
    reinstall of kdebase-kdm.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 02:15:37 -0500, Big Yellow Hats wrote:

    > ...if you use the /home/username/.face option you need to allow users to
    > choose their own face icon. There's a setting in the administrator mode
    > of kcontrol's "login manager-->users" to do just that.

    That's one line I had not modified. The version of the file installed with
    kdebase-kdm includes
    FaceSource=PreferUser
    which is what the above setting, will set.

    I also found out that kcontrol strips all of the comments from kdmrc, when it
    updates the file. Not good, in my opinion.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 18:06:46 +0000, I wrote:

    > can't see which line needs to be modified.

    Although I saw one or two possible candidates, nothing I
    tried with them had the slightest effect...

    --
    /\/\aurice

  5. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 15:06:14 -0500, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > Although I saw one or two possible candidates, nothing I
    > tried with them had the slightest effect...

    Looks like mcc also names the files $user.png, instead of $user.face, or
    $user.icon.

    Probably easier to ensure "grep Face /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc" has
    FaceSource=PreferUser

    and put the icon in ~/.face

    Regard, Dave Hodgins

  6. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:23:05 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > put the icon in ~/.face

    Do you mean copy the .png file from
    /usr/share/faces into the /home//.face directory as
    .face?

    --
    /\/\aurice

  7. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:23:05 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > Probably easier to ensure "grep Face /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc" has
    > FaceSource=PreferUser

    Was already set to that.

    > and put the icon in ~/.face

    Tried that (as file .face, then added the
    original .png) but still no icons at Login time...

    --
    /\/\aurice

  8. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 14:31:09 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > Note the names of the files. In the face dir, the names must be in the
    > format $user.face or $user.icon, while in the user's home directory,
    > just .face, or .icon

    OK, have now put the .png files into their respective home
    directories as ".face", rather than in a /home//.face
    directory.

    Some progress:

    On reboot, the 'face' DOES appear for the 2nd user
    in the 2-user Login list (which happens to be the first user
    defined in MCC/System/Manage Users), but NOT for the 1st user in
    the Login list (2nd defined in the MCC/System/Manage Users
    list)..

    Why would it not show both?

    --
    /\/\aurice

  9. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 11:21:59 -0500, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > Do you mean copy the .png file from
    > /usr/share/faces into the /home//.face directory as
    > .face?

    cp /usr/share/faces/$user.png /home/$user/.face

    Since it's in the users home directory, it doesn't need the users id in
    the file name. Using the /home/$user/.face file, also means the user can
    change it themselves.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  10. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 12:30:37 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > Using the /home/$user/.face file, also means the user can
    > change it themselves.

    Is there a formal mechanism to do that?

    (It would also be at odds with 'face' actions taken in
    MCC/System/Manage Users - unless the latter can somehow be
    directed to update the .face files in /homes...)

    --
    /\/\aurice

  11. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 13:08:17 -0500, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 12:30:37 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >> Using the /home/$user/.face file, also means the user can
    >> change it themselves.

    > Is there a formal mechanism to do that?

    No. Just copy any image file to ~/.face

    > (It would also be at odds with 'face' actions taken in
    > MCC/System/Manage Users - unless the latter can somehow be
    > directed to update the .face files in /homes...)

    MCC/userdrake sets up the image files, with the path/name that gdm is looking
    for.

    For kdm to be able to display the images selected by userdrake, one of the two
    would have to be changed. In my opinion, userdrake should set up a link for
    each $user.png file called $user.face. That way the icons would have the
    proper names for both gdm, and kdm.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  12. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 12:16:29 -0500, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > On reboot, the 'face' DOES appear for the 2nd user
    > in the 2-user Login list (which happens to be the first user
    > defined in MCC/System/Manage Users), but NOT for the 1st user in
    > Why would it not show both?

    Double check the file names. For each user, check the output of
    file $user/.face

    I expect a typo in filename, such as missing the leading period.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  13. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 14:04:26 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > Double check the file names. For each user, check the output of
    > file $user/.face

    Already done! No visible error. In fact, I made the same
    changes in the installation of 2008.0 on the external USB drive.
    Exacty the same result: No icon for 1st user in Login list.

    > I expect a typo in filename, such as missing the leading

    period.

    So did I, but no error visible.
    (If use Konqueror to look in /home/$USER at the .face file for
    the missing icon, the face shows up correctly.)

    In both user sessions I did a Find File for ".face", and in both
    cases the file was found in /home/$USER.

    Mmm. This is beginning to remind me of the time I tried to
    change the background colour for (old) Pan... (Got there in end.)

    --
    /\/\aurice

  14. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 15:26:20 -0500, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > Already done! No visible error. In fact, I made the same
    > changes in the installation of 2008.0 on the external USB drive.
    > Exacty the same result: No icon for 1st user in Login list.

    Strange. I have two visible users, both with icons showing. I'm
    out of ideas, for where to look.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  15. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 10:08:53 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > I have two visible users, both with icons showing. I'm
    > out of ideas, for where to look.

    Good for you! Do you have 'List + Icons' set, or just icons?
    (UserList= true or false in /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc)

    By the way, I've just tried adding a 3rd user (and copied its
    $USER.png from /usr/share/faces into /home/$USER as ".face").

    Result: the Login structure still only shows an icon for the
    3rd entry in the Login list (which is the 1st in the
    MCC/System/Manage Users list.)

    I'm very disappointed at this lopsided result.
    What on earth can be causing it???
    --
    /\/\aurice

  16. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 11:41:35 -0500, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > Good for you! Do you have 'List + Icons' set, or just icons?
    > (UserList= true or false in /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc)

    $ grep List /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc
    UserList=true

    Note that /usr/share/config is a symlink to /etc/kde, at least it is
    on my system.

    > I'm very disappointed at this lopsided result.
    > What on earth can be causing it???

    I'm out of ideas for how to solve the problem. As I can't recreate it,
    it's hard to figure out how to troubleshoot it.

    If you'd like, you can email me a complete copy of your kdmrc file, and
    I'll compare it to mine, to see if I can spot any problems. See sig
    for address change.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  17. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 16:41:35 +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > the Login structure still only shows an icon for the
    > 3rd entry in the Login list

    Thought perhaps it might be an alphabetic-order glitch (as
    Login list shows reverse order alphabetically), so tried adding a
    new user 'zen'.

    Result: Still only the 1st user defined in MCC/System/Manage
    Users has a 'face' icon (though all have a ".face" file in
    /home/$USER).

    --
    /\/\aurice

  18. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 18:08:17 +0000, I wrote:

    > (It would also be at odds with 'face' actions taken in
    > MCC/System/Manage Users - unless the latter can somehow be
    > directed to update the .face files in /homes...)

    One way to resolve that would be to make the ".face" file a
    symbolic reference to the $USER.png file in /usr/share/faces.

    (Have tried that, and it does work.)

    --
    /\/\aurice

  19. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    Finally cracked it (but don't understand why...):

    What I tried was:

    (1) In /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc I changed the FaceDir line to:
    FaceDir=/usr/share/faces instead of:
    FaceDir=/usr/share/mdk/faces
    (which I had tried before but with no success)

    and set FaceSource=PreferAdmin (to prefer the FaceDir source)

    (2) In /usr/share/faces, I copied all $USER.png as $USER.face

    And that works!!!!!

    Many thanks to all who pitched in with suggestions!
    Much appreciated...

    --
    /\/\aurice

  20. Re: Multiple users: Icons

    On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 17:38:48 +0000, I wrote:

    > copied all $USER.png as $USER.face

    - as Symbolic ref's to the .png files (so as to pick up
    any changes to the .png files in MCC/System/Manage Users).

    --
    /\/\aurice

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast