2008 and webcam - Mandriva

This is a discussion on 2008 and webcam - Mandriva ; Gentlemen V4L doesn't appear to see my webcams: An old logitech Quickcam..............mcc sees the cam and list module mod_quickcam as the driver My other cam also logitech quickcam notebook pro.........seen but no module installed even tho' spca5xxx is installed on ...

  1. 2008 and webcam

    Gentlemen

    V4L doesn't appear to see my webcams:

    An old logitech Quickcam..............mcc sees the cam and list module
    mod_quickcam as the driver

    My other cam also logitech quickcam notebook pro.........seen but no module
    installed even tho' spca5xxx is installed on the system.

    Any suggestions where to look to solve this one.

    My laptop also has the same problem but only tried the quickcam notebook so
    far

    Regards

    Stuart

  2. Re: 2008 and webcam

    Stuart wrote:
    > Gentlemen
    >
    > V4L doesn't appear to see my webcams:
    >
    > An old logitech Quickcam..............mcc sees the cam and list module
    > mod_quickcam as the driver
    >
    > My other cam also logitech quickcam notebook pro.........seen but no module
    > installed even tho' spca5xxx is installed on the system.
    >
    > Any suggestions where to look to solve this one.
    >
    > My laptop also has the same problem but only tried the quickcam notebook so
    > far
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Stuart

    I have my sisters ligitech guickcam communicate stx working fine under
    linux with the gspca driver, maby try that and c what happins.

  3. Re: 2008 and webcam

    On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 19:38:26 -0500, Stuart wrote:

    > Gentlemen
    >
    > V4L doesn't appear to see my webcams:
    >
    > An old logitech Quickcam..............mcc sees the cam and list module
    > mod_quickcam as the driver
    >
    > My other cam also logitech quickcam notebook pro.........seen but no
    > module installed even tho' spca5xxx is installed on the system.
    >
    > Any suggestions where to look to solve this one.
    >
    > My laptop also has the same problem but only tried the quickcam notebook
    > so far

    Mine doesn't work either. The reason I assume is because there's no /dev/
    video device. I haven't taken the time to fix mine so there may be
    something else too.

  4. Re: 2008 and webcam

    Wes Newell wrote:

    > On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 19:38:26 -0500, Stuart wrote:
    >
    >> Gentlemen
    >>
    >> V4L doesn't appear to see my webcams:
    >>
    >> An old logitech Quickcam..............mcc sees the cam and list module
    >> mod_quickcam as the driver
    >>
    >> My other cam also logitech quickcam notebook pro.........seen but no
    >> module installed even tho' spca5xxx is installed on the system.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions where to look to solve this one.
    >>
    >> My laptop also has the same problem but only tried the quickcam notebook
    >> so far
    >>

    > Mine doesn't work either. The reason I assume is because there's no /dev/
    > video device. I haven't taken the time to fix mine so there may be
    > something else too.

    That is true there is no /dev/videodevice for the webcam or cams if both are
    connected. My TV tuner card tho' is generating such a device and V4L picks
    that one up. This should help me narrow my search. I'll forward the results
    if and when I solve this.

  5. Re: 2008 and webcam

    Wes Newell wrote:

    > On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 19:38:26 -0500, Stuart wrote:
    >
    >> Gentlemen
    >>
    >> V4L doesn't appear to see my webcams:
    >>
    >> An old logitech Quickcam..............mcc sees the cam and list module
    >> mod_quickcam as the driver
    >>
    >> My other cam also logitech quickcam notebook pro.........seen but no
    >> module installed even tho' spca5xxx is installed on the system.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions where to look to solve this one.
    >>
    >> My laptop also has the same problem but only tried the quickcam notebook
    >> so far
    >>

    > Mine doesn't work either. The reason I assume is because there's no /dev/
    > video device. I haven't taken the time to fix mine so there may be
    > something else too.

    Gentlemen and Ladies

    As Promised a solution:-

    It would appear that the driver module doesn't load for some reason so

    su to root

    modprobe -f gspca

    (assuming gspca is the wanted driver as used by the quickcam notebook pro)

    and hey presto all works. I haven't tried forcing the other driver yet but I
    only need 1 webcam at once :-)

    To make it permanent I am told to add

    modprobe -f gspca

    to /etc/rc.local

    I haven't checked this one out yet.

    Regards

    Stuart

  6. Re: 2008 and webcam

    On Dec 20, 8:45 pm, Stuart wrote:
    > Wes Newell wrote:
    > > On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 19:38:26 -0500, Stuart wrote:

    > >> Gentlemen

    > >> V4L doesn't appear to see my webcams:

    > >> An old logitech Quickcam..............mcc sees the cam and list module
    > >> mod_quickcam as the driver

    > >> My other cam also logitech quickcam notebook pro.........seen but no
    > >> module installed even tho' spca5xxx is installed on the system.

    > >> Any suggestions where to look to solve this one.

    > >> My laptop also has the same problem but only tried the quickcam notebook
    > >> so far

    > > Mine doesn't work either. The reason I assume is because there's no /dev/
    > > video device. I haven't taken the time to fix mine so there may be
    > > something else too.

    > Gentlemen and Ladies
    >
    > As Promised a solution:-
    >
    > It would appear that the driver module doesn't load for some reason so
    >
    > su to root
    >
    > modprobe -f gspca
    >
    > (assuming gspca is the wanted driver as used by the quickcam notebook pro)
    >
    > and hey presto all works. I haven't tried forcing the other driver yet but I
    > only need 1 webcam at once :-)
    >
    > To make it permanent I am told to add
    >
    > modprobe -f gspca
    >
    > to /etc/rc.local
    >
    > I haven't checked this one out yet.

    THat seems to be the easy part. Did you have to do makedev /dev/video
    or something? When you do an ls /dev/video -l does it show the date
    when that was created? You may have v4l (video for linux) installed on
    such a date. In my case the device does not exist, and my Creative
    webcam (USB) does not get recognized by any of the cam-related apps I
    dfindin Mandriva (gtkam, etc)

  7. Re: 2008 and webcam

    shedied@gmail.com wrote:

    > On Dec 20, 8:45 pm, Stuart wrote:
    >> Wes Newell wrote:

    >> > Mine doesn't work either. The reason I assume is because there's no
    >> > /dev/ video device. I haven't taken the time to fix mine so there may
    >> > be something else too.

    >> Gentlemen and Ladies
    >>
    >> As Promised a solution:-
    >>
    >> It would appear that the driver module doesn't load for some reason so
    >>
    >> su to root
    >>
    >> modprobe -f gspca
    >>
    >> (assuming gspca is the wanted driver as used by the quickcam notebook
    >> pro)
    >>
    >> and hey presto all works. I haven't tried forcing the other driver yet
    >> but I only need 1 webcam at once :-)
    >>
    >> To make it permanent I am told to add
    >>
    >> modprobe -f gspca
    >>
    >> to /etc/rc.local
    >>
    >> I haven't checked this one out yet.

    > THat seems to be the easy part. Did you have to do makedev /dev/video
    > or something? When you do an ls /dev/video -l does it show the date
    > when that was created? You may have v4l (video for linux) installed on
    > such a date. In my case the device does not exist, and my Creative
    > webcam (USB) does not get recognized by any of the cam-related apps I
    > dfindin Mandriva (gtkam, etc)

    No I didn't need too.

    When I try ls /dev/video -l it just says

    ls /dev/video -l
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2007-12-21 15:36 /dev/video -> v4l/video0

    I did the modprobe as root I assume you tried the same.

    I think Mandriva should look at this webcam stuff tho' it used to work alot
    better.

  8. Re: 2008 and webcam

    Stuart wrote:

    > Wes Newell wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 19:38:26 -0500, Stuart wrote:
    >>
    >>> Gentlemen
    >>>
    >>> V4L doesn't appear to see my webcams:
    >>>
    >>> An old logitech Quickcam..............mcc sees the cam and list module
    >>> mod_quickcam as the driver
    >>>
    >>> My other cam also logitech quickcam notebook pro.........seen but no
    >>> module installed even tho' spca5xxx is installed on the system.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions where to look to solve this one.
    >>>
    >>> My laptop also has the same problem but only tried the quickcam notebook
    >>> so far
    >>>

    >> Mine doesn't work either. The reason I assume is because there's no /dev/
    >> video device. I haven't taken the time to fix mine so there may be
    >> something else too.
    >>

    > Gentlemen and Ladies
    >
    > As Promised a solution:-
    >
    > It would appear that the driver module doesn't load for some reason so
    >
    > su to root
    >
    > modprobe -f gspca
    >
    > (assuming gspca is the wanted driver as used by the quickcam notebook pro)
    >
    > and hey presto all works. I haven't tried forcing the other driver yet but
    > I only need 1 webcam at once :-)
    >
    > To make it permanent I am told to add
    >
    > modprobe -f gspca
    >
    > to /etc/rc.local
    >
    > I haven't checked this one out yet.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Stuart

    Further followup

    To make it permanent I am told to add

    modprobe -f gspca

    to /etc/rc.local

    This has now been checked and in my case works.

  9. Re: 2008 and webcam

    On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 20:23:57 -0500, Stuart wrote:

    > To make it permanent I am told to add
    >
    > modprobe -f gspca
    >
    > to /etc/rc.local
    >
    > This has now been checked and in my case works.

    That driver doesn't work with the old quickcam express. I got this old QC
    express free when I first installed either ISDN or DSL for the first time.
    That was about 10 years ago. Maybe it's time to upgrade.:-)
    One of these days.

  10. Re: 2008 and webcam

    On Dec 22, 1:33 am, Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 20:23:57 -0500, Stuart wrote:
    > > To make it permanent I am told to add

    > > modprobe -f gspca

    > > to /etc/rc.local

    > > This has now been checked and in my case works.

    > That driver doesn't work with the old quickcam express. I got this old QC
    > express free when I first installed either ISDN or DSL for the first time.
    > That was about 10 years ago. Maybe it's time to upgrade.:-)
    > One of these days.

    I've tried perusing the webcam pages from time to time but between
    kernel module this or has-been-known-to-work that I can't figure out
    which one will work out-of-the-box with Mandriva. The only app I've
    seen to test it out is ekiga, which requires SIP that I don't really
    need. Can't figure out what the hype is all about with this latest
    incarnation of GNOMEmeeting. I only need the webcam for that Yahoo
    clone Gyach-e something.

    Keep us posted even if you went and bought a Mac and just used adium
    with that slick looking camera they have.

  11. Re: 2008 and webcam

    On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 08:05:21 -0800, shedied wrote:

    > On Dec 22, 1:33 am, Wes Newell wrote:
    >> On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 20:23:57 -0500, Stuart wrote:
    >> > To make it permanent I am told to add

    >> > modprobe -f gspca

    >> > to /etc/rc.local

    >> > This has now been checked and in my case works.

    >> That driver doesn't work with the old quickcam express. I got this old
    >> QC express free when I first installed either ISDN or DSL for the first
    >> time. That was about 10 years ago. Maybe it's time to upgrade.:-) One
    >> of these days.
    >>

    > I've tried perusing the webcam pages from time to time but between
    > kernel module this or has-been-known-to-work that I can't figure out
    > which one will work out-of-the-box with Mandriva. The only app I've seen
    > to test it out is ekiga, which requires SIP that I don't really need.
    > Can't figure out what the hype is all about with this latest incarnation
    > of GNOMEmeeting. I only need the webcam for that Yahoo clone Gyach-e
    > something.
    >
    > Keep us posted even if you went and bought a Mac and just used adium
    > with that slick looking camera they have.

    Well, I've been building the quickcam driver for it since several distros
    back, but the old 6.04 version I had errored out for some reason.
    Installed the version that came with 2008 and it does the same thing. I
    have a feeling it's because there's something screwed up with kernel
    version sources. Maybe one of these days I'll devote some time to it, but
    it's not a high priority. IOW's I wouldn't have a webcam if this one
    wasn't free.:-)

  12. Re: 2008 and webcam

    On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 07:29:13 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

    > On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 19:38:26 -0500, Stuart wrote:
    >
    >> Gentlemen
    >>
    >> V4L doesn't appear to see my webcams:
    >>
    >> An old logitech Quickcam..............mcc sees the cam and list module
    >> mod_quickcam as the driver
    >>
    >> My other cam also logitech quickcam notebook pro.........seen but no
    >> module installed even tho' spca5xxx is installed on the system.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions where to look to solve this one.
    >>
    >> My laptop also has the same problem but only tried the quickcam
    >> notebook so far
    >>

    > Mine doesn't work either. The reason I assume is because there's no
    > /dev/ video device. I haven't taken the time to fix mine so there may be
    > something else too.

    Ok, I found out the quickcam driver isn't in 2008. So I downloaded it "qc-
    usb-0.6.6.tar.gz" a while back. But I just installed it a few minutes ago.
    Simple process. Had the file in my home dir. Used xwc file manager to
    extract it. Extracted to qc-usb-0.6.6 dir. Then opened a terminal and this;

    cd qc-usb-0.6.6

    make all

    su to root, then

    make install

    modprobe quickcam

    That was all there was to it. /dev/video and /dev/video0 appeared. Tested
    with gqcam -s. Works fine. This is a real old QC express I got for free
    probably 10 years ago. I would buy a new one, but averaged out I doubt
    I've used this once a year. Anyway it works.

  13. Re: 2008 and webcam

    Wes Newell wrote:

    > On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 07:29:13 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 19:38:26 -0500, Stuart wrote:
    >>
    >>> Gentlemen
    >>>
    >>> V4L doesn't appear to see my webcams:
    >>>
    >>> An old logitech Quickcam..............mcc sees the cam and
    >>> list module mod_quickcam as the driver
    >>>
    >>> My other cam also logitech quickcam notebook pro.........seen
    >>> but no module installed even tho' spca5xxx is installed on
    >>> the system.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions where to look to solve this one.
    >>>
    >>> My laptop also has the same problem but only tried the
    >>> quickcam notebook so far
    >>>

    >> Mine doesn't work either. The reason I assume is because
    >> there's no /dev/ video device. I haven't taken the time to fix
    >> mine so there may be something else too.

    > Ok, I found out the quickcam driver isn't in 2008. So I
    > downloaded it "qc- usb-0.6.6.tar.gz" a while back. But I just

    Maybe you needed something else but there is a driver in contrib
    and a newer version in contrib/backports. Do you have your
    sources set up? If not then it's a couple of clicks in the
    mandriva control center then a trip to easyurpmi.zarb.org to
    find mirrors for the plf stuff.
    ..
    > installed it a few minutes ago. Simple process. Had the file in
    > my home dir. Used xwc file manager to extract it. Extracted to
    > qc-usb-0.6.6 dir. Then opened a terminal and this;
    >
    > cd qc-usb-0.6.6
    >
    > make all
    >
    > su to root, then
    >
    > make install
    >
    > modprobe quickcam
    >
    > That was all there was to it. /dev/video and /dev/video0
    > appeared. Tested with gqcam -s. Works fine. This is a real old
    > QC express I got for free probably 10 years ago. I would buy a
    > new one, but averaged out I doubt I've used this once a year.
    > Anyway it works.

  14. Re: 2008 and webcam

    On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 15:52:15 +0100, Syd wrote:

    > Wes Newell wrote:

    >>> Mine doesn't work either. The reason I assume is because there's no
    >>> /dev/ video device. I haven't taken the time to fix mine so there may
    >>> be something else too.

    >> Ok, I found out the quickcam driver isn't in 2008. So I downloaded it
    >> "qc- usb-0.6.6.tar.gz" a while back. But I just
    >> installed it a few minutes ago. Simple process. Had the file in my home
    >> dir. Used xwc file manager to extract it. Extracted to qc-usb-0.6.6
    >> dir. Then opened a terminal and this;
    >>
    >> cd qc-usb-0.6.6
    >>
    >> make all
    >>
    >> su to root, then
    >>
    >> make install
    >>
    >> modprobe quickcam
    >>
    >> That was all there was to it. /dev/video and /dev/video0 appeared.
    >> Tested with gqcam -s. Works fine. This is a real old QC express I got
    >> for free probably 10 years ago. I would buy a new one, but averaged out
    >> I doubt I've used this once a year. Anyway it works.

    > Maybe you needed something else but there is a driver in contrib and a
    > newer version in contrib/backports. Do you have your sources set up? If
    > not then it's a couple of clicks in the mandriva control center then a
    > trip to easyurpmi.zarb.org to find mirrors for the plf stuff.
    > .

    Uhh, if I didn't have the sources installed, the driver wouldn't have
    compiled.:-)

    I tried the contrib drivers. They didn't work for some reason and rather
    than screwing with what someone else did with them (or figure out if I
    screwed up or the file was corrupt) it only took a couple of minutes to
    install the source.