No 'Mount points' in the MCC - Mandriva

This is a discussion on No 'Mount points' in the MCC - Mandriva ; I wanted to set mount a samba share in Mandriva 2008.0 following a clean install. Surprisingly there was no option. I have: 'Online Administration, Hardware, Network & Internet, System, Network Sharing, Local Disks, Security and Boot'. How can I now ...

  1. No 'Mount points' in the MCC

    I wanted to set mount a samba share in Mandriva 2008.0 following a clean
    install. Surprisingly there was no option.

    I have: 'Online Administration, Hardware, Network & Internet, System,
    Network Sharing, Local Disks, Security and Boot'. How can I now restore
    the 'Mount points' option?

  2. Re: No 'Mount points' in the MCC

    On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 14:27:16 +0000, Alan Secker wrote:

    > I wanted to set mount a samba share in Mandriva 2008.0 following a clean
    > install. Surprisingly there was no option.
    >
    > I have: 'Online Administration, Hardware, Network & Internet, System,
    > Network Sharing, Local Disks, Security and Boot'. How can I now restore
    > the 'Mount points' option?

    The network sharing option is the one you want. Set up samba on your
    system and share with a windoze system.

    I don't use samba as I no longer use windows, I have set up NFS to share
    my linux machines though.

  3. Re: No 'Mount points' in the MCC

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > I wanted to set mount a samba share in Mandriva 2008.0 following a clean
    > install. Surprisingly there was no option.
    >
    > I have: 'Online Administration, Hardware, Network & Internet, System,
    > Network Sharing, Local Disks, Security and Boot'. How can I now restore
    > the 'Mount points' option?

    MCC -> Network Sharing -> Share data with windows systems

    (The title of that module is a bit ambiguous.)

    Jim

  4. Re: No 'Mount points' in the MCC

    James Kerr wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >> I wanted to set mount a samba share in Mandriva 2008.0 following a clean
    >> install. Surprisingly there was no option.
    >>
    >> I have: 'Online Administration, Hardware, Network & Internet, System,
    >> Network Sharing, Local Disks, Security and Boot'. How can I now restore
    >> the 'Mount points' option?

    > MCC -> Network Sharing -> Share data with windows systems
    >
    > (The title of that module is a bit ambiguous.)
    >
    > Jim

    Sorted. I'm not sold on the revised presentation though. Thanks

    Alan

  5. Re: No 'Mount points' in the MCC

    Quote Originally Posted by James Kerr View Post
    Alan Secker wrote:

    MCC -> Network Sharing -> Share data with windows systems

    (The title of that module is a bit ambiguous.)

    Jim
    Yeah, the title is very confusing. I've just filed a bug to Mandriva in the hope they'll give it a better name in the next release.

    But this module has a lot to improve. In my company where there're about 50 PC in the domain, every press on the "Search servers" button takes ages to show up what I want. I'd rather like to have a field to enter an IP address or hostname.

    And at my home, pressing "Search servers" returns nothing since I've got some DNS problem there. Yeah, I know that's my problem and I need to solve it. But if it's possible to enter IP address/hostname, that problem of mine could be bypassed.

  6. Re: No 'Mount points' in the MCC

    Alan Secker wrote:

    MCC -> Network Sharing -> Share data with windows systems

    (The title of that module is a bit ambiguous.)

    Jim
    Yeah, that's very confusing. I've filed a bug to Mandriva and hope this would be changed in the next release.

    This module has a lot to improve. For instance, there're more than 50 PC in my company's domain. Every press on the "Search new servers" button takes ages to response and show what I needed. I'd rather like to have a field to enter just an IP address or hostname.

    Another example is my home LAN. I've got some DNS problem there that press on "Search new servers" returns nothing. Yeah, I know, I should solve my home LAN problem but if it's possible to enter IP address, that problem of mine could have been bypassed.

+ Reply to Thread