openoffice menu - Mandriva

This is a discussion on openoffice menu - Mandriva ; After installing 2008, there are no launchers for OpenOffice apps in my menu. There is an Office menu, but nothing is under it. OpenOffice is installed. Opening a document launches it. This is KDE. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling OpenOffice ...

  1. openoffice menu

    After installing 2008, there are no launchers for OpenOffice apps in my
    menu. There is an Office menu, but nothing is under it.

    OpenOffice is installed. Opening a document launches it. This is KDE. I
    tried uninstalling and reinstalling OpenOffice to no avail.

    Is there a simple way to integrate OpenOffice into the menu?

    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    ¯`·..·¯`·-> freemont <-·¯`·..·¯

  2. Re: openoffice menu

    On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 19:47:36 +0000, freemont wrote:
    > After installing 2008, there are no launchers for OpenOffice apps in my
    > menu. There is an Office menu, but nothing is under it.
    >
    > OpenOffice is installed. Opening a document launches it. This is KDE. I
    > tried uninstalling and reinstalling OpenOffice to no avail.
    >
    > Is there a simple way to integrate OpenOffice into the menu?

    First we would need to know if it is your account or a system problem.
    Create another account, say junk.

    Log into junk and verify if you have open office selections under
    Office. If so, we know freemont's menu is dinked up if not system is
    dinked up.

    Simple kde user problem solution for me is to log into another account,
    click up a terminal,
    su - root
    cd ~dinked_up_user
    mv .kde .kde_broke

    exit
    exit
    log out of another account.
    log into dinked_up_user and .kde directory is rebuilt.

    Downside is dinked_up_user has to redo preferences and application
    setups or try to copy them back from .kde_broke

  3. Re: openoffice menu

    On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 20:36:43 +0000, Bit Twister writ:

    > First we would need to know if it is your account or a system problem.
    > Create another account, say junk.
    >
    > Log into junk and verify if you have open office selections under
    > Office. If so, we know freemont's menu is dinked up if not system is
    > dinked up.

    Good idea. Sure enough, the other user's menu is correct. Wonder what
    needs to be replaced in my own directory? I've been looking for hours and
    can't find anything.

    I really, really don't wish to just give up and start over with a
    fresh .kde. I'd rather fix it.

    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    ¯`·..·¯`·-> freemont <-·¯`·..·¯

  4. Re: openoffice menu

    On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 23:31:55 +0000, freemont wrote:

    > Good idea. Sure enough, the other user's menu is correct. Wonder what
    > needs to be replaced in my own directory? I've been looking for hours and
    > can't find anything.

    Best method I know would be to get a list of files in ~junk/.kde
    and as root, compare them against ~freemont/,kde

    Here click up a terminal log in as root, install the mlocate/locate
    package, create database used by locate, get junk's .kde fn list and diff
    them with your account.

    su - root

    urpmi mlocate
    /etc/cron.daily/mlocate.cron

    ---------------- diff script starts below this line. ----------------
    #************** start dif_files *****************
    #*
    #* Save as dif_files
    #* chmod +x dif_files
    #* Execute command si
    #* ./dif_files
    #*
    #************************************************* **

    locate junk/.kde > fn.lst
    while read line ; do
    _sfn=${line#/home/junk/}
    echo "running diff -bBw /home/freemont/${_sfn} $line"
    diff -bBw /home/freemont/${_sfn} $line
    done < fn.lst

    #************** end dif_files *****************

  5. Re: openoffice menu [solved]

    On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 00:09:22 +0000, Bit Twister writ:

    > Best method I know would be to get a list of files in ~junk/.kde and as
    > root, compare them against ~freemont/,kde

    Just saw this so I didn't get a chance to try it, but i found the problem
    file.

    /home/username/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu

    I just renamed menus to menus.old and clicked the button and there were
    all the default items. Didn't need to log out.

    I'll have to recreate the custom menu I'd created, but that's a small
    bother.

    Thanks for your suggestions.

    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"