No Java plugin with Mandriva 2008.0 PowerPack's Firefox 2.0.0.8 on laptop - Mandriva

This is a discussion on No Java plugin with Mandriva 2008.0 PowerPack's Firefox 2.0.0.8 on laptop - Mandriva ; Mandriva 2008.0 Powerpack's Firefox 2.0.0.8 comes with the Java plugin working on my 32-bit desktop, but not on the laptop's 64-bit installation. On the laptop, Java is installed, but I can see no way of creating the usual pointer between ...

  1. No Java plugin with Mandriva 2008.0 PowerPack's Firefox 2.0.0.8 on laptop

    Mandriva 2008.0 Powerpack's Firefox 2.0.0.8 comes with the Java
    plugin working on my 32-bit desktop, but not on the laptop's
    64-bit installation.

    On the laptop, Java is installed, but I can see no
    way of creating the usual pointer between Firefox and Java, which
    doesn't seem to have the 'plugin' file that the 32-bit version
    has.

    Anyone know what the answer is, please?

    --
    Maurice

  2. Re: No Java plugin with Mandriva 2008.0 PowerPack's Firefox 2.0.0.8on laptop

    Maurice Batey wrote:
    > Mandriva 2008.0 Powerpack's Firefox 2.0.0.8 comes with the Java
    > plugin working on my 32-bit desktop, but not on the laptop's
    > 64-bit installation.
    >
    > On the laptop, Java is installed, but I can see no
    > way of creating the usual pointer between Firefox and Java, which
    > doesn't seem to have the 'plugin' file that the 32-bit version
    > has.
    >
    > Anyone know what the answer is, please?

    The last java plugin that worked with Linux 64-bit was 1.4.2 I think.
    2008.0 comes with java 1.5.0.11 and 1.6 is available, but unless
    things have changed the Sun website says not to use these plugins for
    64-bit LInux.

    My system is jusing java (or javascript) where necessary for my
    purposes. I guess it is calling the jre programs rather than
    just using the plugin, but I have no real complaint.

    It might be possible to use ndiswrapper and run the 32-bit plugin,
    if you really want to futz around with it. I have never used
    ndiswrapper and don't feel like experimenting with it at the moment,
    so I cannot help.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: No Java plugin with Mandriva 2008.0 PowerPack's Firefox 2.0.0.8on laptop

    Jim Beard wrote:
    > Maurice Batey wrote:
    >> Mandriva 2008.0 Powerpack's Firefox 2.0.0.8 comes with the Java
    >> plugin working on my 32-bit desktop, but not on the laptop's
    >> 64-bit installation.
    >> On the laptop, Java is installed, but I can see no
    >> way of creating the usual pointer between Firefox and Java, which
    >> doesn't seem to have the 'plugin' file that the 32-bit version
    >> has.
    >>
    >> Anyone know what the answer is, please?

    > The last java plugin that worked with Linux 64-bit was 1.4.2 I think.
    > 2008.0 comes with java 1.5.0.11 and 1.6 is available, but unless
    > things have changed the Sun website says not to use these plugins for
    > 64-bit LInux.
    >
    > My system is jusing java (or javascript) where necessary for my
    > purposes. I guess it is calling the jre programs rather than
    > just using the plugin, but I have no real complaint.
    >
    > It might be possible to use ndiswrapper and run the 32-bit plugin,
    > if you really want to futz around with it. I have never used
    > ndiswrapper and don't feel like experimenting with it at the moment,
    > so I cannot help.

    I forgot to mention one thing. You can install 32-bit Firefox
    on a 64-bit system. That will allow you to use the 32-bit java
    pluging with the 32-bit Firefox.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --