2008.0 PowerPack on laptop: No wireless connections - Mandriva

This is a discussion on 2008.0 PowerPack on laptop: No wireless connections - Mandriva ; A month ago I checked that 2008.0 'One' would install on my Toshiba laptop (as 2007.0 would not), and was pleasantly surprised that wireless connections worked 'right out of the box'. So I confidently ordered PowerPack and installed it today, ...

  1. 2008.0 PowerPack on laptop: No wireless connections

    A month ago I checked that 2008.0 'One' would install on my
    Toshiba laptop (as 2007.0 would not), and was pleasantly
    surprised that wireless connections worked 'right out of the
    box'.

    So I confidently ordered PowerPack and installed it today, only
    to find a complete absence of wireless connections. (If I boot
    Vista up instead, it does see connections (e.g. the signal from
    the Netgear router in the next room).)

    I realised I had not had the wireless card (Intel 3945) switched
    on during the install, so re-installed with it on. During the
    install I asked it to configure 'Wireless'. It did install some
    packages, then displayed a window with just one choice (radio
    button):

    "Use a Windows driver (with ndiswrapper)"

    When I then hit the Next key, it said:

    "The folder could not be displayed"(??).
    ERROR getting info from /media/cdrom, no such file or
    directory"

    So I abandnoned that, and continued to the end of Install.

    On re-booting, MCC's Network Centre showed no wireless SSIDs,
    and I could find no facility for configuring wireless.

    So, although wireless under 2008.0 'One' worked fine right away,
    PowerPack can't hack it 'out of the box'.

    I'm tempted to re-install 'One', but I really would like to
    persuade PP to do the right thing.

    Suggestions most welcome - please!

    --
    Maurice

  2. Re: 2008.0 PowerPack on laptop: No wireless connections

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 19:06:32 +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:

    8<--- snipped----------
    > On re-booting, MCC's Network Centre showed no wireless SSIDs, and I
    > could find no facility for configuring wireless.

    > Suggestions most welcome - please!

    -----------

    Open Mandriva Control Centre (MCC) / Network & Internet / Set up a new
    network interface.

    Select Wireless, then follow the instructions to either use ndiswrapper
    or, if a driver is available for your hardware use that.

    HTH

  3. Re: 2008.0 PowerPack on laptop: No wireless connections

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 03:52:53 -0600, Jo Shloe wrote:

    > Open Mandriva Control Centre (MCC) / Network & Internet / Set up a new
    > network interface.

    Thanks, Jo! It really was as simple as that, after all the
    confusing kefuffle at installation time that I mentioned.

    Once into that setup mode, it showed the SSID of the router in
    the next room, and I was up and away without doing anything
    further.

    (But still puzzled that the earlier 2008.0 'One' installation
    included the setup of wireless. I just logged on and there was
    the wireless connection ready for use...)

    [Breathes sigh of relief :-)) ]
    --
    Maurice

  4. Re: 2008.0 PowerPack on laptop: No wireless connections

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 19:06:32 +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > A month ago I checked that 2008.0 'One' would install on my Toshiba
    > laptop (as 2007.0 would not), and was pleasantly surprised that wireless
    > connections worked 'right out of the box'.
    >
    > So I confidently ordered PowerPack and installed it today, only to find
    > a complete absence of wireless connections. (If I boot Vista up instead,
    > it does see connections (e.g. the signal from the Netgear router in the
    > next room).)
    >
    > I realised I had not had the wireless card (Intel 3945) switched on
    > during the install, so re-installed with it on. During the install I
    > asked it to configure 'Wireless'. It did install some packages, then
    > displayed a window with just one choice (radio button):
    >
    > "Use a Windows driver (with ndiswrapper)"
    >
    > When I then hit the Next key, it said:
    >
    > "The folder could not be displayed"(??).
    > ERROR getting info from /media/cdrom, no such file or directory"
    >
    > So I abandnoned that, and continued to the end of Install.
    >
    > On re-booting, MCC's Network Centre showed no wireless SSIDs, and I
    > could find no facility for configuring wireless.
    >
    > So, although wireless under 2008.0 'One' worked fine right away,
    > PowerPack can't hack it 'out of the box'.
    >
    > I'm tempted to re-install 'One', but I really would like to persuade PP
    > to do the right thing.
    >
    > Suggestions most welcome - please!

    I see Jo solved your problem. I run a couple of A135 toshibas and they
    work in 2007 & 2008, wireless, hardwire, sometimes you just have to
    hunt. I immediately deleted vista off both of the machines as soon as i
    got it. Is your wireless a Intel ProWireless 3945ABG. When I am in my
    office I use a dual connection the hardwire with a static IP and the
    wireless to connect to the local lan. You would be surprised what I can
    do with this setup. I am going to replace all my notebooks and desktops
    with Toshibas cause they work great with Mandriva.

    --
    ´╗┐gone in a second......>>>>>>jjim
    registered Linux user 281836........

  5. Re: 2008.0 PowerPack on laptop: No wireless connections

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 12:46:07 +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 03:52:53 -0600, Jo Shloe wrote:
    >
    >> Open Mandriva Control Centre (MCC) / Network & Internet / Set up a new
    >> network interface.

    > Thanks, Jo! It really was as simple as that, after all the
    > confusing kefuffle at installation time that I mentioned.

    Glad to be of assistance. I've had this "feature" a couple of times on
    different machines. After much hair pulling I found it was best to skip
    the setup during installation if it didn't work straight away and return
    to set the wireless up after installation had completed.
    I have a Belkin wireless desktop card in one of my machines and 2008 is
    the only distro I can get to work with it despite hours of trying. Even
    the box version of 2007_1 wouldn't have it.

  6. Re: 2008.0 PowerPack on laptop: No wireless connections

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 14:16:39 -0600, jjim wrote:

    > Is your wireless a Intel ProWireless 3945ABG

    Yes. As you say, Mandriva works fine on the Toshiba (though
    2007.x would not load/install).

    One problem I notice is that photo's are a bit squashed down
    vertically. Can't find any screen resolution change option
    anywhere...

    --
    Maurice

  7. Re: 2008.0 PowerPack on laptop: No wireless connections

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 08:55:44 -0600, Jo Shloe wrote:

    > I found it was best to skip
    > the setup during installation if it didn't work straight away and return
    > to set the wireless up after installation had completed.

    I persisted in case it would want to use the wireless
    connection during installation.

    --
    Maurice

  8. Re: 2008.0 PowerPack on laptop: No wireless connections

    jjim writes:

    >On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 19:06:32 +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:

    >> A month ago I checked that 2008.0 'One' would install on my Toshiba
    >> laptop (as 2007.0 would not), and was pleasantly surprised that wireless
    >> connections worked 'right out of the box'.

    Yup, they should.

    >> So I confidently ordered PowerPack and installed it today, only to find
    >> a complete absence of wireless connections. (If I boot Vista up instead,
    >> it does see connections (e.g. the signal from the Netgear router in the
    >> next room).)
    >>
    >> I realised I had not had the wireless card (Intel 3945) switched on
    >> during the install, so re-installed with it on. During the install I
    >> asked it to configure 'Wireless'. It did install some packages, then
    >> displayed a window with just one choice (radio button):

    That is the wrong option. Not sure what you were doing.

    urpmi ipw3945d-1.7.22-4mdv2008.0.i586.rpm ipw3945-ucode-1.13-2mdv2007.0.noarch.rpm

    modprobe ipw3945
    iwlist s
    should now show you access points.

    >> "Use a Windows driver (with ndiswrapper)"

    the 3945 is one of the best supported cards with native support.

    >> When I then hit the Next key, it said:
    >>
    >> "The folder could not be displayed"(??).
    >> ERROR getting info from /media/cdrom, no such file or directory"
    >>
    >> So I abandnoned that, and continued to the end of Install.
    >>
    >> On re-booting, MCC's Network Centre showed no wireless SSIDs, and I
    >> could find no facility for configuring wireless.
    >>
    >> So, although wireless under 2008.0 'One' worked fine right away,
    >> PowerPack can't hack it 'out of the box'.
    >>
    >> I'm tempted to re-install 'One', but I really would like to persuade PP
    >> to do the right thing.
    >>
    >> Suggestions most welcome - please!

    >I see Jo solved your problem. I run a couple of A135 toshibas and they
    >work in 2007 & 2008, wireless, hardwire, sometimes you just have to
    >hunt. I immediately deleted vista off both of the machines as soon as i
    >got it. Is your wireless a Intel ProWireless 3945ABG. When I am in my
    >office I use a dual connection the hardwire with a static IP and the
    >wireless to connect to the local lan. You would be surprised what I can
    >do with this setup. I am going to replace all my notebooks and desktops
    >with Toshibas cause they work great with Mandriva.

+ Reply to Thread