Low volume: mdv2008 and VIA High Definition Audio Controller - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Low volume: mdv2008 and VIA High Definition Audio Controller - Mandriva ; Running mdv2008 I get very low volume from my VIA High Definition Audio Controller. I have confirmed in kmix and aumix that sound is not muted (alsamixer fails with the message "function snd_mixer_load failed: Invalid argument"). I am using known ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Low volume: mdv2008 and VIA High Definition Audio Controller

  1. Low volume: mdv2008 and VIA High Definition Audio Controller

    Running mdv2008 I get very low volume from my VIA High Definition Audio
    Controller. I have confirmed in kmix and aumix that sound is not muted
    (alsamixer fails with the message "function snd_mixer_load failed:
    Invalid argument"). I am using known good speakers plugged into the
    correct soundcard jack, and I am attempting to play a known good audio
    file.

    I have tinkered with the sound settings in both KDE and Gnome, trying
    different sound systems and hardware settings. One thing in particular I
    tried in KDE is setting the sound system auto-suspend to 1 second.

    I ran alsaconf as root.

    Any ideas on what else I should be trying to get my volume up?

    TIA,
    --
    Warren Post
    Santa Rosa de Copán, Honduras
    http://srcopan.vze.com/

  2. Re: Low volume: mdv2008 and VIA High Definition Audio Controller

    Warren Post wrote:
    > Running mdv2008 I get very low volume from my VIA High Definition Audio
    > Controller. I have confirmed in kmix and aumix that sound is not muted
    > (alsamixer fails with the message "function snd_mixer_load failed:
    > Invalid argument"). I am using known good speakers plugged into the
    > correct soundcard jack, and I am attempting to play a known good audio
    > file.
    >
    > I have tinkered with the sound settings in both KDE and Gnome, trying
    > different sound systems and hardware settings. One thing in particular I
    > tried in KDE is setting the sound system auto-suspend to 1 second.
    >
    > I ran alsaconf as root.
    >
    > Any ideas on what else I should be trying to get my volume up?
    >
    > TIA,


    FWIW...

    I have a VIA chipset sound controller on my motherboard. I found a while
    back that with my system, the remote speaker volume is controlled in
    Kmix by a combination of the PCM and Headphone controls. Reduce either,
    and the volume goes down. The others, including the Master, have no
    effect. I have the PCM slider all the way up, and I control the volume
    through the headphone slider.

    Worth a shot, though YMMV. Hope this helps...

    TJ

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  3. Re: Low volume: mdv2008 and VIA High Definition Audio Controller

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 08:42:24 -0500, TJ wrote:

    > I have a VIA chipset sound controller on my motherboard. I found a while
    > back that with my system, the remote speaker volume is controlled in
    > Kmix by a combination of the PCM and Headphone controls. Reduce either,
    > and the volume goes down. The others, including the Master, have no
    > effect. I have the PCM slider all the way up, and I control the volume
    > through the headphone slider.


    Interesting. My kmix has neither master nor PCM nor headphone controls.
    Mine are line, microphone, pcm2 (but not pcm 1 or pcm), igain, and
    digital1 -- same as aumix. Fooling with all of them has no effect I can
    notice.
    --
    Warren Post
    Santa Rosa de Copán, Honduras
    http://srcopan.vze.com/

  4. Re: Low volume: mdv2008 and VIA High Definition Audio Controller

    Warren Post wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 08:42:24 -0500, TJ wrote:
    >
    >> I have a VIA chipset sound controller on my motherboard. I found a while
    >> back that with my system, the remote speaker volume is controlled in
    >> Kmix by a combination of the PCM and Headphone controls. Reduce either,
    >> and the volume goes down. The others, including the Master, have no
    >> effect. I have the PCM slider all the way up, and I control the volume
    >> through the headphone slider.

    >
    > Interesting. My kmix has neither master nor PCM nor headphone controls.
    > Mine are line, microphone, pcm2 (but not pcm 1 or pcm), igain, and
    > digital1 -- same as aumix. Fooling with all of them has no effect I can
    > notice.


    That IS interesting. Must have something to do with mine being
    integrated to the motherboard, probably a different VIA chipset. Under
    the output tab in KMix, I have sliders for Master, Master Mono,
    Headphones, 3D Control-Center, 3D Control-Depth, PCM, PC Speaker, and
    five labeled VIA DXS, whatever that is. The 3D and VIA DXS sliders don't
    have little green dots, which I assume means they're inactive. Another
    slider across the bottom is labeled VIA 8235, and seems to control the
    right/left balance. (OT: Would that it were that simple with politics. A
    nice, effective, simple right/left balance control. Sigh.) The only
    place I see a "Line" or "Mic" slider is under the input tab.

    TJ

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  5. Re: Low volume: mdv2008 and VIA High Definition Audio Controller

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 10:37:29 -0500, TJ wrote:

    > That IS interesting. Must have something to do with mine being
    > integrated to the motherboard, probably a different VIA chipset.


    Mine is on the motherboard too, so perhaps they are different chipsets?
    My mobo documentation identifies mine as a VIA P4M890.

    > (OT: Would that it were that simple with politics. A
    > nice, effective, simple right/left balance control. Sigh.)


    LOL!
    --
    Warren Post
    Santa Rosa de Copán, Honduras
    http://srcopan.vze.com/

  6. Re: Low volume: mdv2008 and VIA High Definition Audio Controller

    Warren Post wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 10:37:29 -0500, TJ wrote:
    >
    >> That IS interesting. Must have something to do with mine being
    >> integrated to the motherboard, probably a different VIA chipset.

    >
    > Mine is on the motherboard too, so perhaps they are different chipsets?
    > My mobo documentation identifies mine as a VIA P4M890.
    >

    My mobo manual says the audio chip is VIA VT1612A. This is a
    four-year-old computer, a custom-made job from a small company no longer
    in business. The company called it an "entry-level" model then, but it
    more than does the jobs I need it to do, even now.

    TJ

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  7. Re: Low volume: mdv2008 and VIA High Definition Audio Controller

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 00:18:01 -0500, Warren Post wrote:

    > Interesting. My kmix has neither master nor PCM nor headphone controls.
    > Mine are line, microphone, pcm2 (but not pcm 1 or pcm), igain, and
    > digital1 -- same as aumix. Fooling with all of them has no effect I can
    > notice.


    Any chance kmix is picking the wrong device? At the top of the kmix mixer
    window, the current mixer has a dropdown box to select the device. In my
    case, I have a VIA 8237, or a USB Camera, which has it's own mike.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  8. Re: Low volume: mdv2008 and VIA High Definition Audio Controller

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 19:43:02 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > Any chance kmix is picking the wrong device? At the top of the kmix
    > mixer window, the current mixer has a dropdown box to select the device.


    No, kmix only sees one device and so there is no dropdown box in my case.

    --
    Warren Post
    Santa Rosa de Copán, Honduras
    http://srcopan.vze.com/

  9. Re: Low volume: mdv2008 and VIA High Definition Audio Controller

    Warren Post wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 08:42:24 -0500, TJ wrote:
    >
    >> I have a VIA chipset sound controller on my motherboard. I found a while
    >> back that with my system, the remote speaker volume is controlled in
    >> Kmix by a combination of the PCM and Headphone controls. Reduce either,
    >> and the volume goes down. The others, including the Master, have no
    >> effect. I have the PCM slider all the way up, and I control the volume
    >> through the headphone slider.

    >
    > Interesting. My kmix has neither master nor PCM nor headphone controls.
    > Mine are line, microphone, pcm2 (but not pcm 1 or pcm), igain, and
    > digital1 -- same as aumix. Fooling with all of them has no effect I can
    > notice.


    I've been assuming you've read the Kmix Handbook, but I shouldn't have,
    since I hadn't read it myself. I just had a look, and it's full of
    interesting information. In case you haven't read it, try this: Right
    click on one of the output sliders, then click on "Channels" in the
    drop-down menu. Make sure all the boxes are checked. The ones that
    aren't checked won't appear when you call Kmix.

    Also, check to see that the green dot at the top of the slider is a
    bright green. A dark green indicates it's disabled.

    And yes, I see different sliders because I have a different chipset,
    with different capabilities. Saw that in the handbook, too. Docs-
    marvelous invention, those.

    TJ

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  10. Re: Low volume: mdv2008 and VIA High Definition Audio Controller

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 09:18:15 -0500, TJ wrote:

    > I've been assuming you've read the Kmix Handbook, but I shouldn't have,
    > since I hadn't read it myself. I just had a look, and it's full of
    > interesting information. In case you haven't read it, try this: Right
    > click on one of the output sliders, then click on "Channels" in the
    > drop-down menu. Make sure all the boxes are checked. The ones that
    > aren't checked won't appear when you call Kmix.
    >
    > Also, check to see that the green dot at the top of the slider is a
    > bright green. A dark green indicates it's disabled.


    In fact I had already read the manual and tried those things (ditto man
    aumix), but thanks for the always pertinent reminder that Docs Are Good
    Things.

    --
    Warren Post
    Santa Rosa de Copán, Honduras
    http://srcopan.vze.com/

  11. Re: Low volume: mdv2008 and VIA High Definition Audio Controller

    Warren Post wrote:
    > On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 09:18:15 -0500, TJ wrote:
    >
    >> I've been assuming you've read the Kmix Handbook, but I shouldn't have,
    >> since I hadn't read it myself. I just had a look, and it's full of
    >> interesting information. In case you haven't read it, try this: Right
    >> click on one of the output sliders, then click on "Channels" in the
    >> drop-down menu. Make sure all the boxes are checked. The ones that
    >> aren't checked won't appear when you call Kmix.
    >>
    >> Also, check to see that the green dot at the top of the slider is a
    >> bright green. A dark green indicates it's disabled.

    >
    > In fact I had already read the manual and tried those things (ditto man
    > aumix), but thanks for the always pertinent reminder that Docs Are Good
    > Things.
    >

    Well, we've exhausted my meager knowledge on this subject. You need an
    expert, not a fumbler like me. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

    TJ

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  12. Re: Low volume: mdv2008 and VIA High Definition Audio Controller

    Just to bring closure to this thread, I threw in the towel and bought
    another motherboard, not just for sound but other issues as well. My new
    Intel D945GCNL gives me sound out of the box.

    Many thanks to TJ and David for your time and advice.
    --
    Warren Post
    Santa Rosa de Copán, Honduras
    http://srcopan.vze.com/

  13. Re: Low volume: mdv2008 and VIA High Definition Audio Controller

    Warren Post wrote:
    > Just to bring closure to this thread, I threw in the towel and bought
    > another motherboard, not just for sound but other issues as well. My new
    > Intel D945GCNL gives me sound out of the box.
    >
    > Many thanks to TJ and David for your time and advice.


    You're welcome, Warren. Too bad we couldn't track down the problem, but
    that's the way it goes sometimes. I'm glad you're up and going now.

    TJ

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


+ Reply to Thread