when delete isn't delete - Mandriva

This is a discussion on when delete isn't delete - Mandriva ; I learned something today. /home filled up and I couldn't figure out why. For the past two years I thought I was actually cleaning house when hitting the delete key. Turns out there was 1.7gb of deleted files sitting in ...

  1. when delete isn't delete

    I learned something today. /home filled up and I couldn't figure out why.
    For the past two years I thought I was actually cleaning house when
    hitting the delete key. Turns out there was 1.7gb of deleted files sitting
    in /home/foo/.Trash-0 Anyone else seen this?

  2. Re: when delete isn't delete

    On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 22:58:35 -0500, mr.b wrote:

    > I learned something today. /home filled up and I couldn't figure out why.
    > For the past two years I thought I was actually cleaning house when
    > hitting the delete key. Turns out there was 1.7gb of deleted files sitting
    > in /home/foo/.Trash-0 Anyone else seen this?

    No. Everyone else knows what a Trash bin is, and empties it once in a
    while.

  3. Re: when delete isn't delete

    On 2007-11-27, mr.b wrote:

    > I learned something today. /home filled up and I couldn't figure out why.
    > For the past two years I thought I was actually cleaning house when
    > hitting the delete key. Turns out there was 1.7gb of deleted files sitting
    > in /home/foo/.Trash-0 Anyone else seen this?

    That's what you get for using a GUI tool that doesn't do what you
    tell it to.

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson, author |
    2005, Apress | GNU General Public Licence

  4. Re: when delete isn't delete

    Dan C wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 22:58:35 -0500, mr.b wrote:
    >
    >> I learned something today. /home filled up and I couldn't figure out
    >> why. For the past two years I thought I was actually cleaning house when
    >> hitting the delete key. Turns out there was 1.7gb of deleted files
    >> sitting
    >> in /home/foo/.Trash-0 Anyone else seen this?

    > No. Everyone else knows what a Trash bin is, and empties it once in a
    > while.

    And there is a setting in Konqueror (were you using that one?) which changes
    this behavior into real delete. Meaning also that if you then delete
    something by mistake, it really is gone forever!!!

    Herman Viaene
    --
    Veel mensen danken hun goed geweten aan hun slecht geheugen. (G. Bomans)

    Lots of people owe their good conscience to their bad memory (G. Bomans)

  5. Re: when delete isn't delete

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 09:30:10 +0100, herman.viaene wrote:

    > And there is a setting in Konqueror (were you using that one?) which
    > changes this behavior into real delete. Meaning also that if you then
    > delete something by mistake, it really is gone forever!!!

    no, I haven't...I've used rm almost exclusively, I used Nautilus for
    a bit when trying to find out where the cruft was hiding...and I got the
    path wrong..the file is owned by root /home/.Trash-0 and everything I
    thought was going pfffft when I used rm, ended up there...odd

  6. Re: when delete isn't delete

    On 2007-11-27, herman.viaene@thuis.be wrote:

    > Dan C wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 22:58:35 -0500, mr.b wrote:
    >>
    >>> I learned something today. /home filled up and I couldn't figure out
    >>> why. For the past two years I thought I was actually cleaning house when
    >>> hitting the delete key. Turns out there was 1.7gb of deleted files
    >>> sitting
    >>> in /home/foo/.Trash-0 Anyone else seen this?

    >> No. Everyone else knows what a Trash bin is,

    It's something that sits under my desk; I've never used one on a
    computer.

    >> and empties it once in a
    >> while.

    Only if I empty it.

    > And there is a setting in Konqueror (were you using that one?) which changes
    > this behavior into real delete.

    Which is the way it should be.

    Saving to a trash directory should be an explicit choice rather
    than a pseudo delete.

    > Meaning also that if you then delete
    > something by mistake, it really is gone forever!!!

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson, author |
    2005, Apress | GNU General Public Licence

  7. Re: when delete isn't delete

    on Tuesday 27 November 2007 14:58
    mr.b wrote:

    > I learned something today. /home filled up and I couldn't figure out why.
    > For the past two years I thought I was actually cleaning house when
    > hitting the delete key. Turns out there was 1.7gb of deleted files sitting
    > in /home/foo/.Trash-0 Anyone else seen this?

    In Konqueror Shift-Delete probably does what you want.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  8. Re: when delete isn't delete

    mr.b wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 09:30:10 +0100, herman.viaene wrote:
    >
    >> And there is a setting in Konqueror (were you using that one?) which
    >> changes this behavior into real delete. Meaning also that if you then
    >> delete something by mistake, it really is gone forever!!!

    > no, I haven't...I've used rm almost exclusively, I used Nautilus for
    > a bit when trying to find out where the cruft was hiding...and I got the
    > path wrong..the file is owned by root /home/.Trash-0 and everything I
    > thought was going pfffft when I used rm, ended up there...odd

    On the command line, run
    alias

    You may find a few other things that are not exactly what
    you think they are...

    Mandriva tries to set things up _nicely_ by default, but....

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  9. Re: when delete isn't delete

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 23:40:28 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:

    > On the command line, run
    > alias
    >
    > You may find a few other things that are not exactly what you think they
    > are...

    the list was short and AFAICT benign... rm = rm -i, among a few others...
    so just invoking interactive doesn't lead me to why everything was getting
    dumped to a root-owned trash file when it was a user doing rm...

  10. Re: when delete isn't delete

    mr.b wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 23:40:28 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    >> On the command line, run
    >> alias
    >>
    >> You may find a few other things that are not exactly what you think they
    >> are...

    > the list was short and AFAICT benign... rm = rm -i, among a few others...
    > so just invoking interactive doesn't lead me to why everything was getting
    > dumped to a root-owned trash file when it was a user doing rm...

    Odd. The default is usually a mv command with a trash bin as the
    destination, with or without the -i option.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely