My ability to playback video is gone. - Mandriva

This is a discussion on My ability to playback video is gone. - Mandriva ; Using Mandriva 2008. I've lost the capability to play movies. The audio plays, but no video appears. Doesn't matter if it's mpeg, .avi or whatever. The icons in my movies folder shows the same image previews of the movies that ...

  1. My ability to playback video is gone.

    Using Mandriva 2008. I've lost the capability to play movies. The audio
    plays, but no video appears. Doesn't matter if it's mpeg, .avi or
    whatever. The icons in my movies folder shows the same image previews of
    the movies that it always has and these movies all worked just fine a few
    days ago. Did one of Mandriva's updates trash something? Anybody else
    experience this loss?

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

  2. Re: My ability to playback video is gone.

    JTJersey wrote:

    > Using Mandriva 2008. I've lost the capability to play movies. The audio
    > plays, but no video appears. Doesn't matter if it's mpeg, .avi or
    > whatever. The icons in my movies folder shows the same image previews of
    > the movies that it always has and these movies all worked just fine a few
    > days ago. Did one of Mandriva's updates trash something? Anybody else
    > experience this loss?

    go into the preferences of your video software and hunt around and u will
    find a place where u will blend. after some of my updates my video worked
    but it was choppy. changin the default from disabled to blend set me back
    up.
    maybe this will help u.

    --
    Love is all u need.

  3. Re: My ability to playback video is gone.

    On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 22:20:33 -0600, patrick_darcy wrote:

    > JTJersey wrote:
    >
    >> Using Mandriva 2008. I've lost the capability to play movies. The
    >> audio plays, but no video appears. Doesn't matter if it's mpeg, .avi
    >> or whatever. The icons in my movies folder shows the same image
    >> previews of the movies that it always has and these movies all worked
    >> just fine a few days ago. Did one of Mandriva's updates trash
    >> something? Anybody else experience this loss?
    >>

    > go into the preferences of your video software and hunt around and u
    > will find a place where u will blend. after some of my updates my video
    > worked but it was choppy. changin the default from disabled to blend set
    > me back up.
    > maybe this will help u.

    This is downright bizarre. I figured the only program I hadn't tried was
    LinDVD, so I brought it up, selected an mpeg and hit play and my speakers
    went berserk. Nothing but full volume static, no volume control at all,
    had to shut down to get it to stop. Rebooted, but the static from the
    speakers began immediately. Shut down and yanked the Creative Sound
    Blaster PCI card from the system and plugged the speakers into the
    motherboard sound jack. The screeching static stopped, sounds are back to
    normal and the video works again. I mean, what the f was that all about?

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

  4. Re: My ability to playback video is gone.

    JTJersey wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 22:20:33 -0600, patrick_darcy wrote:
    >
    >> JTJersey wrote:
    >>
    >>> Using Mandriva 2008. I've lost the capability to play movies. The
    >>> audio plays, but no video appears. Doesn't matter if it's mpeg, .avi
    >>> or whatever. The icons in my movies folder shows the same image
    >>> previews of the movies that it always has and these movies all worked
    >>> just fine a few days ago. Did one of Mandriva's updates trash
    >>> something? Anybody else experience this loss?
    >>>

    >> go into the preferences of your video software and hunt around and u
    >> will find a place where u will blend. after some of my updates my video
    >> worked but it was choppy. changin the default from disabled to blend set
    >> me back up.
    >> maybe this will help u.

    > This is downright bizarre. I figured the only program I hadn't tried was
    > LinDVD, so I brought it up, selected an mpeg and hit play and my speakers
    > went berserk. Nothing but full volume static, no volume control at all,
    > had to shut down to get it to stop. Rebooted, but the static from the
    > speakers began immediately. Shut down and yanked the Creative Sound
    > Blaster PCI card from the system and plugged the speakers into the
    > motherboard sound jack. The screeching static stopped, sounds are back to
    > normal and the video works again. I mean, what the f was that all about?

    Bad sound card, maybe? Or maybe there's been a change in the way the PCI
    bus or the various interrupts are handled. We did just get a kernal
    update, or at least I did. I wish I could do more to help, but all I can
    really do is sympathize.

    I had an old PCI Sound Blaster that I tried with Mandriva 2006 once. I
    was trying to add a joystick port, which was thoughtfully omitted from
    my motherboard. Anyway, even though this card was listed in the database
    as working, it messed things up for me. Oh, the sound part worked fine,
    and everything worked fine if I booted into Windows 98SE. But for some
    reason when using Mandriva my serial port, and thus the dialup Internet
    connection I used at the time, slowed to a crawl. Once I ripped the card
    back out again, things returned to normal.

    I never found the true source of the problem, but I always speculated
    that it had something to do with interrupt handling. Nobody else seemed
    to have the problem, so I assumed it was unique to my hardware setup.
    Your problem sounds similar, but then I'm no hardware brain trust.

    TJ

  5. Re: My ability to playback video is gone.

    JTJersey wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 22:20:33 -0600, patrick_darcy wrote:
    >
    >> JTJersey wrote:
    >>
    >>> Using Mandriva 2008. I've lost the capability to play movies. The
    >>> audio plays, but no video appears. Doesn't matter if it's mpeg, .avi
    >>> or whatever. The icons in my movies folder shows the same image
    >>> previews of the movies that it always has and these movies all worked
    >>> just fine a few days ago. Did one of Mandriva's updates trash
    >>> something? Anybody else experience this loss?
    >>>

    >> go into the preferences of your video software and hunt around and u
    >> will find a place where u will blend. after some of my updates my video
    >> worked but it was choppy. changin the default from disabled to blend set
    >> me back up.
    >> maybe this will help u.

    > This is downright bizarre. I figured the only program I hadn't tried was
    > LinDVD, so I brought it up, selected an mpeg and hit play and my speakers
    > went berserk. Nothing but full volume static, no volume control at all,
    > had to shut down to get it to stop. Rebooted, but the static from the
    > speakers began immediately. Shut down and yanked the Creative Sound
    > Blaster PCI card from the system and plugged the speakers into the
    > motherboard sound jack. The screeching static stopped, sounds are back to
    > normal and the video works again. I mean, what the f was that all about?

    i had a problem with my pci sound blaster live. it would show up in the
    control center and then it wouldnt and it wouldnt work and then it tried
    but failed. i took my sound card out and cleaned it up. after using it for
    years all it needed was to have the contacts cleaned , i installed it again
    and then i reinstalled my os and it has worked ever since.

    --
    Love is all u need.

+ Reply to Thread