Back when I was running Mandrake 10.1 on my Athlon machine the
machine would lock up at times when I would transfer large files
over NFS to my Celeron machine. But, lock-ups would only occur
when the Athlon machine had an active Cisco VPN connection
running. When the VPN was down, then the machine was completely
stable.

Then I upgraded both machines to Mandriva 2007.0. The symptom
changed. The Athlon machine would no longer lock up. But,
it's networking system would freeze and I'd have to restart it.
Again, there were only problems when the Cisco VPN client was
active.

A week ago I swapped out my network card in the Celeron machine,
taking out a 3com Combo (3c59x) card and installing a Lite-On
LNE100TX (tulip). Swapping the hardware has covered up the
problem and I can't make the Athlon machine's network hang
anymore.

The problem machine consists of: Mandriva 2007.0, Athlon 64-X2
processor on an ABIT-AV8-3rd-Eye motherboard with built-in 1Gb
ethernet, running version 4.8.00.0490 of Cisco's VPN client for
Linux.

The companion machine consists of: Mandriva 2007.0, Intel
Celeron processor on an Intel-D845PESV motherboard with PCI 100Mb
network card.

I'm posting this in case anyone else has a problem.

Cheers...

Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.