Audio config tools ? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Audio config tools ? - Mandriva ; I cannot find any audio config tools. I have no working microphone input I use a fully updated 2008 Mandriva. But when I go to MCC and Hardware - soundcard, there is no driver-choosing button as in previous 'driva's and ...

  1. Audio config tools ?

    I cannot find any audio config tools. I have no working
    microphone input I use a fully updated 2008 Mandriva. But
    when I go to MCC and Hardware - soundcard, there is no
    driver-choosing button as in previous 'driva's and 'drake's.
    I cannot find any cli tool I used to use sndconf didnt I?
    I installed sndconfig, but its for legacy cards and doesnt
    see he onboard SB sound system.

    I did have working inputs in 2007, so I'm wondering what
    to do. If you've seen this, or can think of a way to work
    through this I'd be grateful.

    All my other sounds work and I do like the serengeti feel to the
    shutdown and boot of kde.

  2. Re: Audio config tools ?

    Marlene wrote:

    > I cannot find any audio config tools. I have no working
    > microphone input I use a fully updated 2008 Mandriva. But
    > when I go to MCC and Hardware - soundcard, there is no
    > driver-choosing button as in previous 'driva's and 'drake's.
    > I cannot find any cli tool I used to use sndconf didnt I?
    > I installed sndconfig, but its for legacy cards and doesnt
    > see he onboard SB sound system.
    >
    > I did have working inputs in 2007, so I'm wondering what
    > to do. If you've seen this, or can think of a way to work
    > through this I'd be grateful.
    >
    > All my other sounds work and I do like the serengeti feel to the
    > shutdown and boot of kde.

    Since you have looked at harddrake, have a look at aumix (for Gnome) or Kmix
    for KDE. I run KDE, and there are quite a few settings available under the
    KDE control panel. I assume that there is something similar under GNOME.
    The new version of Kmix allows you to choose which function is associated
    with the volume control in the System Tray.

    HTH,

    Doug.

  3. Re: Audio config tools ?

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > Marlene wrote:
    >
    >> I cannot find any audio config tools. I have no working
    >> microphone input I use a fully updated 2008 Mandriva. But
    >> when I go to MCC and Hardware - soundcard, there is no
    >> driver-choosing button as in previous 'driva's and 'drake's.
    >> I cannot find any cli tool I used to use sndconf didnt I?
    >> I installed sndconfig, but its for legacy cards and doesnt
    >> see he onboard SB sound system.
    >>
    >> I did have working inputs in 2007, so I'm wondering what
    >> to do. If you've seen this, or can think of a way to work
    >> through this I'd be grateful.
    >>
    >> All my other sounds work and I do like the serengeti feel to the
    >> shutdown and boot of kde.

    > Since you have looked at harddrake, have a look at aumix (for Gnome) or Kmix
    > for KDE. I run KDE, and there are quite a few settings available under the
    > KDE control panel. I assume that there is something similar under GNOME.
    > The new version of Kmix allows you to choose which function is associated
    > with the volume control in the System Tray.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Doug.

    Thanks Ive used kmix over and over and over and I cannot make any
    setting that allows me to record from a microphone. or even hear one.
    I used skype in 2007 but cannot under any circumstance or set of
    choices get krec to show any level at all, even when krec is booted
    from a terminal as root.

  4. Re: Audio config tools ?

    Marlene wrote:
    > Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >> Marlene wrote:
    >>
    >>> I cannot find any audio config tools. I have no working
    >>> microphone input I use a fully updated 2008 Mandriva. But
    >>> when I go to MCC and Hardware - soundcard, there is no
    >>> driver-choosing button as in previous 'driva's and 'drake's.
    >>> I cannot find any cli tool I used to use sndconf didnt I?
    >>> I installed sndconfig, but its for legacy cards and doesnt
    >>> see he onboard SB sound system.
    >>>
    >>> I did have working inputs in 2007, so I'm wondering what
    >>> to do. If you've seen this, or can think of a way to work
    >>> through this I'd be grateful.
    >>>
    >>> All my other sounds work and I do like the serengeti feel to the
    >>> shutdown and boot of kde.

    >> Since you have looked at harddrake, have a look at aumix (for Gnome)
    >> or Kmix
    >> for KDE. I run KDE, and there are quite a few settings available
    >> under the
    >> KDE control panel. I assume that there is something similar under
    >> GNOME. The new version of Kmix allows you to choose which function is
    >> associated
    >> with the volume control in the System Tray.
    >>
    >> HTH,
    >>
    >> Doug.

    > Thanks Ive used kmix over and over and over and I cannot make any
    > setting that allows me to record from a microphone. or even hear one.
    > I used skype in 2007 but cannot under any circumstance or set of choices
    > get krec to show any level at all, even when krec is booted from a
    > terminal as root.

    /usr/bin/alsamixer
    /usr/bin/alsamixergui
    /usr/bin/amixer
    /usr/bin/aumix
    /usr/bin/aumix-text
    /usr/bin/gnome-alsamixer
    /usr/bin/kmix
    /usr/bin/kmixctrl
    /usr/bin/xaumix

    Try man command from the above list; command --help if
    there is no man page (or look in KDE help files...).
    locate mix |grep bin
    to generate a list for your system (perhaps including
    an extraneous "mix" for something other than sound).

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely