Non-existent eth0 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Non-existent eth0 - Mandriva ; Running MDV 2008. My ethernet port on the motherboard went south, so I plugged in an ethernet PCI board. It works fine as eth1. While booting up, there are some messages like: Bringing up interface eth0: Device eth0 does not ...

  1. Non-existent eth0

    Running MDV 2008.
    My ethernet port on the motherboard went south, so I plugged
    in an ethernet PCI board. It works fine as eth1.

    While booting up, there are some messages like:
    Bringing up interface eth0: Device eth0 does not seem to be present delaying initialization
    Device eth0 does not exist (repeated about 5 times).

    Where does the name eth0 exist so I can remove it?

  2. Re: Non-existent eth0

    On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 20:47:32 -0800, Bill Pfeifer wrote:
    > Running MDV 2008.
    > My ethernet port on the motherboard went south, so I plugged
    > in an ethernet PCI board. It works fine as eth1.
    >
    > While booting up, there are some messages like:
    > Bringing up interface eth0: Device eth0 does not seem to be present delaying initialization
    > Device eth0 does not exist (repeated about 5 times).
    >
    > Where does the name eth0 exist so I can remove it?

    Here, extract this script, chmod it, run it as root, then serach for eth0.

    -------- standard debug network problem text/script follows: ------------
    dump_net.txt version 4.1

    If you read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    it will suggest you provide any information about your setup which might
    help troubleshoot your problem. Example, Internet connection type,
    (cable, adsl,,,), it's hardware, (vendor/model of the modem).
    Maybe that your system is hooked to a hub/switch/router and type of
    hookup, (Ethernet,usb, wireless,...), distribution, config file values,... .

    We need to know about your network hardware and see your config settings.

    Something does not start up, try
    dmesg
    and/or look through /var/log/messages for an error message.

    If your problem is slow network give a URL so we can try it.

    Once you get your network running, you may want to run xx one last time
    and save the output file for disk crash/new installs

    Might not hurt to save xx for one of a network debugging checklist steps.

    The following ambidextrous script is for suse, mandriva, ubuntu, kubuntu
    and will dump your hardware status, network settings and config files used
    in network setup. We need that information to troubleshoot your problem.

    If you are having to use windows to access Usenet:
    Format a diskette on the windows system.

    Copy the following xx.txt script into xx.txt using notepad.exe
    then save xx.txt to the diskette/cd/usb stick.

    To get the script results back to Windows and
    none of the above hardware works, you can use http://www.fs-driver.org/

    If you do not want some malware writing to linux. You can replace it
    with http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/ which does not
    provide write access to linux.

    The above assumes you have not created a FAT partition to exchange
    files between OSs. If you did, copy dosa.txt to it from linux and read
    it from windows.

    I do recommend remove/installing the windows/linux file system
    driver after you get the linux network up.

    Makes your Windows Anti Virus scanner run much faster after removal.

    Also, if logged into windows, it would be nice to include your windows
    network settings. Click up a Prompt/cmd/terminal and add in contents from
    ipconfig /all
    when you reply with linux settings.

    If using linux for Usenet access, su - root, copy script text into xx
    chmod +x xx
    ./xx

    and include a.txt (if on linux) or dosa.txt (if on windows) in your reply.

    NOTE: to become root, you need to do a
    su - root
    not su root

    For the suse, ubuntu, kubuntu users,
    sudo -i
    chmod +x xx
    ../xx

    exit will exit the sudo -i command.

    If xx is not in your home directory, you will have to provide the full
    path in place of $HOME. Example:
    sudo -i
    chmod +x /some/where/xx
    /some/where/xx

    ------------------ Script starts below this line ---------
    #!/bin/bash
    #************************************************* ************
    #*
    #* xx - Dump network config files and network hardware status
    #*
    #* Output: a.txt linux file
    #* dosa.txt Windows file
    #*
    #************************************************* ************

    _fn=a.txt
    _out_fn=$PWD/$_fn
    _dos_fn=$PWD/dos${_fn}
    _home=$PWD

    function cat_fn
    {
    _fn=$1
    if [ -f $_fn ] ; then
    _count=$(stat -c %s $_fn )
    if [ $_count -gt 0 ] ; then
    echo "======== cat $_fn ==========" >> $_out_fn
    cat $_fn >> $_out_fn
    fi
    fi
    } # end cat_fn

    function grep_fn
    {
    _fn=$1
    if [ -e $_fn ] ; then
    _count=$(stat -c %s $_fn )
    if [ $_count -gt 0 ] ; then
    _count=$(grep -v '^#' $_fn | wc -l)
    if [ $_count -gt 0 ] ; then
    echo "======== grep -v '^#' $_fn ==========" >> $_out_fn
    if [ "$_fn" != "shorewall.conf" ] ; then
    grep -v '^#' $_fn >> $_out_fn
    else
    awk 'empty{if (!/^#/) print; empty=0} /^$/{empty=1}' $_fn >> $_out_fn
    fi
    fi
    fi
    fi
    } # end grep_fn

    function ls_dir
    {
    _dr=$1
    if [ -d $_dr ] ; then
    echo "========= cd $_dr ; ls -al ========" >> $_out_fn
    cd $_dr
    ls -al >> $_out_fn
    fi
    } # end ls_dir

    function tail_fn
    {
    _fn=$1
    if [ -e $_fn ] ; then
    echo "======== tail -18 $_fn ==========" >> $_out_fn
    tail -18 $_fn >> $_out_fn
    fi
    } # end tail_fn

    #********************************
    # check if commands are in $PATH
    # and if not add them to PATH
    #********************************

    _path=""
    type ifconfig > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -ne 0 ] ; then
    _path="${_path}/sbin:"
    fi

    type cat > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -ne 0 ] ; then
    _path="${_path}/bin:"
    fi

    type id > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -ne 0 ] ; then
    _path="${_path}/usr/bin:"
    fi

    if [ -n "$_path" ] ; then
    PATH=${_path}$PATH
    export PATH
    fi

    #********************************
    # check if root and logged in correctly
    #********************************

    _uid=$(id --user)

    if [ $_uid -ne 0 ] ; then
    echo " "
    echo "You need to be root to run $0"
    echo "Click up a terminal and do the following:"
    echo " "
    echo "su - root"
    echo "$PWD/xx"
    echo " "
    echo "or "
    echo " "
    echo "sudo -i"
    echo "$PWD/xx"
    echo " "
    exit 1
    fi

    root_flg=1

    if [ -n "$LOGNAME" ] ; then
    if [ "$LOGNAME" != "root" ] ; then
    root_flg=0
    fi
    fi

    if [ -n "$USER" ] ; then
    if [ "$USER" != "root" ] ; then
    root_flg=0
    fi
    fi

    if [ $root_flg -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo " "
    echo "Guessing you did a su root"
    echo "instead of a su - root"
    echo "please exit/logout of this session and do the following:"
    echo " "
    echo "su - root"
    echo "$PWD/xx"
    echo " "
    echo "or "
    echo " "
    echo "sudo -i"
    echo "$PWD/xx"
    echo " "
    exit 1
    fi

    #********************************
    # main code starts here
    #********************************

    echo "Working, output will be in $_out_fn "

    date > $_out_fn
    chmod 666 $_out_fn

    if [ -n "$_path" ] ; then
    echo "======== echo $PATH ==========" >> $_out_fn
    echo "$PATH" >> $_out_fn 2>&1
    fi

    cat_fn /etc/product.id

    for _d in /etc/*release ; do
    if [ ! -d $_d ] ; then
    echo "======== cat $_d ==========" >> $_out_fn
    cat $_d >> $_out_fn
    fi
    done

    echo "======== uname -rvi =============" >> $_out_fn
    uname -rvi >> $_out_fn

    for _d in /etc/*version ; do
    if [ ! -d $_d ] ; then
    echo "======== cat $_d ==========" >> $_out_fn
    cat $_d >> $_out_fn
    fi
    done

    cat_fn /proc/*version

    type lsb_release > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "======== lsb_release -a ==========" >> $_out_fn
    lsb_release -a >> $_out_fn 2>&1
    fi

    echo " " >> $_out_fn
    if [ -n "$SECURE_LEVEL" ] ; then
    echo "msec security level is $SECURE_LEVEL" >> $_out_fn
    fi

    echo "
    $(grep 'model name' /proc/cpuinfo)
    $(grep 'cpu MHz' /proc/cpuinfo)

    " >> $_out_fn

    echo "======== free ==========" >> $_out_fn
    free >> $_out_fn 2>&1
    echo " " >> $_out_fn

    if [ -e /etc/inittab ] ; then
    _line=$(grep :initdefault /etc/inittab)
    set -- $(IFS=':'; echo $_line)
    echo " " >> $_out_fn
    echo "Default run level is $2" >> $_out_fn
    echo " " >> $_out_fn
    fi

    type chkconfig > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "======== chkconfig --list ==========" >> $_out_fn
    for _serv in avahi named tmdns ; do
    chkconfig --list | grep -i $_serv > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "Double check if /$_serv/ needs to be disabled on boot" >> $_out_fn
    chkconfig --list | grep -i $_serv >> $_out_fn
    fi
    done

    chkconfig --list >> $_out_fn

    else
    echo "======== ls -o /etc/rcS.d/ ==========" >> $_out_fn
    for _serv in avahi named tmdns ; do
    ls /etc/rcS.d/S* | grep $_serv > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "Double check if /$_serv/ needs to be disabled on boot" >> $_out_fn
    fi
    done

    ls -o /etc/rcS.d >> $_out_fn
    fi

    _fn=/etc/nsswitch.conf
    if [ -e $_fn ] ; then
    echo "======== grep hosts: $_fn ==========" >> $_out_fn
    grep hosts: $_fn >> $_out_fn
    fi

    grep_fn /etc/resolv.conf

    grep_fn /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head
    cat_fn /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base
    cat_fn /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail

    echo "======== hostname --fqdn ==========" >> $_out_fn
    hostname --fqdn >> $_out_fn

    cat_fn /etc/netprofile/profiles/default/files/etc/hosts
    cat_fn /etc/hostname
    cat_fn /etc/HOSTNAME

    ls /etc/mod*.conf > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "======== grep eth /etc/mod*.conf ==========" >> $_out_fn
    grep eth /etc/mod*.conf >> $_out_fn
    fi

    cat_fn /etc/dhclient-enter-hooks
    cat_fn /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks

    grep_fn /etc/host.conf

    echo "================ ifconfig -a ==============" >> $_out_fn
    ifconfig -a >> $_out_fn

    cat_fn /etc/iftab
    cat_fn /etc/udev/rules.d/61-net_config.rules

    echo "============== route -n =================" >> $_out_fn
    route -n >> $_out_fn

    cat_fn /etc/sysconfig/network/routes

    cat_fn /etc/sysconfig/network
    grep_fn /etc/mkinitramfs/initramfs.conf

    echo "========== head -15 /etc/hosts ===========" >> $_out_fn
    head -15 /etc/hosts >> $_out_fn

    cat_fn /etc/network/interfaces
    cat_fn /var/run/network/ifstate

    _cmd=""
    type ethtool > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    _cmd="ethtool"
    fi

    type mii-tool > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    _cmd="mii-tool -v"
    fi

    if [ -z "$_cmd" ] ; then
    echo "==== mii-tool/ethtool NOT INSTALLED ====" >> $_out_fn
    fi

    for nic in 0 1 2 ; do

    if [ -n "$_cmd" ] ; then
    $_cmd eth$nic > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "======== $_cmd eth$nic ==========" >> $_out_fn
    $_cmd eth$nic >> $_out_fn
    fi
    fi

    echo "=== dmesg | grep eth$nic | grep -v SRC= ===" >> $_out_fn
    dmesg | grep eth$nic | grep -v SRC= >> $_out_fn

    echo "=== grep eth$nic /var/log/messages | tail -10 ===" >> $_out_fn
    grep eth$nic /var/log/messages | tail -10 >> $_out_fn

    cat_fn /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth$nic
    cat_fn /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth$nic
    cat_fn /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-eth$nic

    ifconfig eth$nic > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    set $(ifconfig eth$nic | tr [A-Z] [a-z])
    cat_fn /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth-id-$5
    fi

    tail_fn /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient-eth${nic}.leases
    tail_fn /var/lib/dhclient/dhclient-eth${nic}.leases
    tail_fn /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-eth${nic}.info

    done # end for nic in 0 1 2 ; do

    _dir=/etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d
    if [ -d $_dir ] ; then
    ls_dir $_dir

    for _d in "if-up.d" "if-down.d" "if-pre-up.d" "if-post-down.d" ; do
    if [ -e /etc/network/${_d} ] ; then
    echo "==== cd /etc/network/${_d} ; ls -al ===" >> $_out_fn
    cd /etc/network/${_d}
    ls -al >> $_out_fn
    fi
    done
    fi

    if [ -d /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts ] ; then
    for _d in "ifdown.d" "ifup.d" ; do
    if [ -e /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/${_d} ] ; then
    _cmd="cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/${_d} ; ls -al "
    echo "===== $_cmd ====" >> $_out_fn
    cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/${_d}
    ls -al >> $_out_fn
    fi
    done
    fi

    ls_dir /etc/dhcp3/dhclient-exit-hooks.d
    ls_dir /etc/resolvconf/update.d

    if [ -d /etc/shorewall ] ; then
    _count=$(chkconfig --list shorewall | grep -c n )
    if [ $_count -gt 0 ] ; then
    echo "======= Shorewall settings =========" >> $_out_fn
    cd /etc/shorewall
    for _f in $(ls) ; do
    echo "======= $_f =========" >> $_out_fn
    grep_fn $_f
    done
    fi
    fi

    cd $_home

    grep_fn /etc/hosts.allow
    grep_fn /etc/hosts.deny
    echo "==== end of config/network data dump =======" >> $_out_fn

    awk '{print $0 "\r" }' $_out_fn > $_dos_fn
    chmod 666 $_dos_fn

    echo " "
    echo "If posting via linux, post contents of $_out_fn"
    echo "You might want to copy it to your account with the command"
    echo "cp $_out_fn ~your_login"
    echo " "
    echo "If posting via windows, post contents of $_dos_fn"
    echo " "
    echo "If using diskette,"
    echo "Copy $_dos_fn to diskette with the following commands:"
    echo " "
    echo "mkdir -p /floppy"
    echo "mount -t auto /dev/fd0 /floppy"
    echo "cp $_dos_fn /floppy"
    echo "umount /floppy "
    echo " "
    echo "and $_dos_fn is ready for windows from diskette"
    echo " "

    #*********** end of dump xx.txt script *********

    ----------- script ends above this line ------------------------

    and then copy xx.txt to the diskette.

    On some linux distributions, you may need to get into the User/Group
    screen, show all users, double click root, create the password, and
    enable root. Root's password should never be the same as anyone else's.

    To move xx.txt from diskette to the linux box, click up a linux terminal
    su - root
    (root's passwd)

    mkdir -p /floppy
    mount -t auto /dev/fd0 /floppy
    tr -d '\015' < /floppy/xx.txt > xx
    chmod +x xx
    ../xx

    Back on the windows OS, you can cut/paste the a:\dosa.txt into your reply
    under windows.
    Do not attach it.

    When you do reply, please remove/trim my response/text/script from your reply
    before you add in the results/output of the script.

    If you are dual booting the box, you can copy xx.txt to linux from windows.
    Note: The following assumes /dev/hda1 is where windows is installed on the
    first partition on the C: drive
    If you have sata drive, you may have to use /dev/sda1 instead of /dev/hda1.

    cat /etc/fstab to see which value will be required.
    Do keep quotes used in the following:
    mkdir -p /doze
    mount -t auto /dev/hda1 /doze
    tr -d '\015' < "/doze/wherever/you_saved/xx.txt" > xx
    umount /doze

    On windows you can read dosa.txt from a linux partition if you installed
    windows linux file system driver from
    http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm

    Remember to remove/uninstall it to allow your Windows Anti Virus
    scanner to run faster.

  3. Re: Non-existent eth0

    On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 23:47:32 -0500, Bill Pfeifer wrote:

    > Where does the name eth0 exist so I can remove it?

    In /etc/udev/rules.d/61-net_config.rules

    Remove the entire line for both eth0, and eth1.

    On your next boot, what was eth1 will become eth0, assuming you've
    disabled to the onboard nic, in your bios setup program.

    On reboot, udev will create a new line, for the new version of eth0.

    You may need to delete the network connections in mcc, and recreate
    the one for eth0.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: Non-existent eth0

    Bit Twister writes:

    >On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 20:47:32 -0800, Bill Pfeifer wrote:
    >> Running MDV 2008.
    >> My ethernet port on the motherboard went south, so I plugged
    >> in an ethernet PCI board. It works fine as eth1.
    >>
    >> While booting up, there are some messages like:
    >> Bringing up interface eth0: Device eth0 does not seem to be present delaying initialization
    >> Device eth0 does not exist (repeated about 5 times).
    >>
    >> Where does the name eth0 exist so I can remove it?

    >Here, extract this script, chmod it, run it as root, then serach for eth0.

    I am sorry, but this is a sledghammer for mosquito solution.

    /etc/modprobe.conf
    may well contain a reference to eth0.
    may exist, or an ifcfg-* file may contain eth0

> [...]

    >When you do reply, please remove/trim my response/text/script from your reply
    >before you add in the results/output of the script.

    >If you are dual booting the box, you can copy xx.txt to linux from windows.
    >Note: The following assumes /dev/hda1 is where windows is installed on the
    >first partition on the C: drive
    >If you have sata drive, you may have to use /dev/sda1 instead of /dev/hda1.

    >cat /etc/fstab to see which value will be required.
    > Do keep quotes used in the following:
    >mkdir -p /doze
    >mount -t auto /dev/hda1 /doze
    >tr -d '\015' < "/doze/wherever/you_saved/xx.txt" > xx
    >umount /doze

    >On windows you can read dosa.txt from a linux partition if you installed
    >windows linux file system driver from
    >http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm

    >Remember to remove/uninstall it to allow your Windows Anti Virus

  5. Re: Non-existent eth0

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 00:09:03 GMT, Unruh wrote:

    > I am sorry, but this is a sledghammer for mosquito solution.

    I hear what you are saying, but, the OP winds up with copy of network
    configuration files which might be used for debugging the network in
    the future. Also, gives OP a copy to compare with if his changes do
    not work.

    PS: Feel free to trim your replies, please.

    559 line reply for about 5 lines is pretty poor netiquette

  6. Re: Non-existent eth0

    Bill Pfeifer wrote:

    > Running MDV 2008.
    > My ethernet port on the motherboard went south, so I plugged
    > in an ethernet PCI board. It works fine as eth1.
    >
    > While booting up, there are some messages like:
    > Bringing up interface eth0: Device eth0 does not seem to be present
    > delaying initialization ....
    > Device eth0 does not exist (repeated about 5 times).
    >
    > Where does the name eth0 exist so I can remove it?

    i would start with your bios. turn off the nic on the motherboard in your
    bios.

    --
    Love is all u need.

  7. Re: Non-existent eth0

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > Here, extract this script, chmod it, run it as root, then serach for eth0.

    Thanks.
    I made sure that the on-board ethernet was disabled in BIOS.
    I also tried Dave Hodgins's suggestion.
    /etc/udev/rules.d/61-net_config.rules contains:
    # udev persistent rules for net subsystem
    # Generated by Mandriva udev rules
    # See /etc/udev/rules.d/62-create_persistent.rules

    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}=="00:09:5b:0a:41:f3", NAME="eth1",
    NV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"

    My main problem is that I'm still pretty ignorant when it comes to the guts of Linux.

    Here is the output from your script:

    Mon Nov 26 20:36:43 PST 2007
    ======== cat /etc/product.id ==========
    vendor=Mandriva,distribution=Mandriva Linux,type=Basic,version=2008.0,branch=Devel,relea se=1,arch=i586,product=Powerpack
    ======== cat /etc/mandrakelinux-release ==========
    ======== cat /etc/mandrake-release ==========
    ======== cat /etc/mandriva-release ==========
    ======== cat /etc/redhat-release ==========
    ======== cat /etc/release ==========
    ======== uname -rvi =============
    2.6.22.9-desktop-1mdv #1 SMP Thu Sep 27 04:07:04 CEST 2007 unknown
    ======== cat /etc/version ==========
    2008.0.0 5 Tycho

    msec security level is 3

    model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.66GHz
    model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.66GHz
    cpu MHz : 333.325
    cpu MHz : 333.325

    ======== free ==========
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 1035556 522680 512876 0 19024 364492
    -/+ buffers/cache: 139164 896392
    Swap: 4594508 0 4594508

    Default run level is 5

    ======== chkconfig --list ==========
    Double check if /avahi/ needs to be disabled on boot
    avahi-daemon 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4ff 5n 6ff
    acpi 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    acpid 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    alsa 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    atd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    avahi-daemon 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4ff 5n 6ff
    consolekit 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    crond 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    cups 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    dkms 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    dm 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5n 6ff
    haldaemon 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    harddrake 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    iptables 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    keytable 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    kheader 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4ff 5n 6ff
    ksysguard 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    lisa 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    mandi 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    messagebus 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    netconsole 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    netfs 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    network 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    network-up 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    nfs-common 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    ntpd 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    numlock 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    partmon 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    portmap 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    resolvconf 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    shorewall 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    smb 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    sound 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    syslog 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    ======== grep hosts: /etc/nsswitch.conf ==========
    hosts: files nis dns
    ======== grep -v '^#' /etc/resolv.conf ==========
    nameserver 192.168.0.1
    search MSHOME
    ======== hostname --fqdn ==========
    ======== cat /etc/netprofile/profiles/default/files/etc/hosts ==========
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    ======== grep eth /etc/mod*.conf ==========
    alias eth1 natsemi
    ======== grep -v '^#' /etc/host.conf ==========
    order hosts,bind
    multi on
    nospoof on
    spoofalert on
    ================ ifconfig -a ==============
    eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:09:5B:0A:41:F3
    inet addr:192.168.0.100 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::209:5bff:fe0a:41f3/64 Scope:Link
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:2351404 (2.2 MiB) TX bytes:363272 (354.7 KiB)
    Interrupt:19 Base address:0xe000

    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:18981 (18.5 KiB) TX bytes:18981 (18.5 KiB)

    ======== cat /etc/iftab ==========
    #eth0 mac 00:19:21:3b:6a:6b
    eth1 mac 00:09:5b:0a:41:f3
    ======== cat /etc/udev/rules.d/61-net_config.rules ==========
    # udev persistent rules for net subsystem
    # Generated by Mandriva udev rules
    # See /etc/udev/rules.d/62-create_persistent.rules

    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}=="00:09:5b:0a:41:f3", NAME="eth1",
    ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    ============== route -n =================
    Kernel IP routing table
    192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 10 0 0 eth1
    127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
    0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 10 0 0 eth1
    ======== cat /etc/sysconfig/network ==========
    NETWORKING_IPV6=no # speedup DNS lookups
    NOZEROCONF=yes # no doze lookups needed
    NEEDHOSTNAME=no # I'll use my own hostname
    NETWORKING=yes
    HOSTNAME=wb.home.invalid
    # used to be only:
    #NETWORKING-yes
    ========== head -15 /etc/hosts ===========
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    === dmesg | grep eth0 | grep -v SRC= ===
    natsemi eth0: NatSemi DP8381[56] at 0xfebff000 (0000:00:09.0), 00:09:5b:0a:41:f3, IRQ 19, port TP.
    udev: renamed network interface eth0 to eth1
    === grep eth0 /var/log/messages | tail -10 ===
    Nov 26 15:36:24 wb kernel: natsemi eth0: NatSemi DP8381[56] at 0xfebff000 (0000:00:09.0), 00:09:5b:0a:41:f3, IRQ 18,
    port TP.
    Nov 26 15:36:24 wb kernel: udev: renamed network interface eth0 to eth1
    Nov 26 16:29:53 wb kernel: natsemi eth0: NatSemi DP8381[56] at 0xfebff000 (0000:00:09.0), 00:09:5b:0a:41:f3, IRQ 18,
    port TP.
    Nov 26 16:29:53 wb kernel: udev: renamed network interface eth0 to eth1
    Nov 26 19:28:52 wb kernel: natsemi eth0: NatSemi DP8381[56] at 0xfebff000 (0000:00:09.0), 00:09:5b:0a:41:f3, IRQ 18,
    port TP.
    Nov 26 19:28:52 wb kernel: udev: renamed network interface eth0 to eth1
    Nov 26 19:51:01 wb kernel: natsemi eth0: NatSemi DP8381[56] at 0xfebff000 (0000:00:09.0), 00:09:5b:0a:41:f3, IRQ 18,
    port TP.
    Nov 26 19:51:01 wb kernel: udev: renamed network interface eth0 to eth1
    Nov 26 20:00:55 wb kernel: natsemi eth0: NatSemi DP8381[56] at 0xfebff000 (0000:00:09.0), 00:09:5b:0a:41:f3, IRQ 19,
    port TP.
    Nov 26 20:00:55 wb kernel: udev: renamed network interface eth0 to eth1
    ======== cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 ==========
    DEVICE=eth0
    BOOTPROTO=dhcp
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    ONBOOT=yes
    METRIC=10
    ======== tail -18 /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient-eth0.leases ==========
    renew 2 2007/11/6 16:13:41;
    rebind 5 2007/11/9 10:33:06;
    expire 6 2007/11/10 07:33:06;
    }
    lease {
    interface "eth0";
    fixed-address 192.168.0.100;
    option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
    option routers 192.168.0.1;
    option dhcp-lease-time 604800;
    option dhcp-message-type 5;
    option dhcp-server-identifier 192.168.0.1;
    option domain-name-servers 192.168.0.1;
    option domain-name "MSHOME";
    renew 4 2007/11/29 22:47:11;
    rebind 1 2007/12/3 02:32:39;
    expire 1 2007/12/3 23:32:39;
    }
    ======== mii-tool -v eth1 ==========
    eth1: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok
    product info: vendor 08:00:17, model 2 rev 1
    basic mode: autonegotiation enabled
    basic status: autonegotiation complete, link ok
    capabilities: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
    advertising: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD flow-control
    link partner: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
    === dmesg | grep eth1 | grep -v SRC= ===
    udev: renamed network interface eth0 to eth1
    eth1: DSPCFG accepted after 0 usec.
    eth1: link up.
    eth1: Setting full-duplex based on negotiated link capability.
    martian source 255.255.255.255 from 192.168.0.1, on dev eth1
    eth1: no IPv6 routers present
    === grep eth1 /var/log/messages | tail -10 ===
    Nov 26 20:00:59 wb dhclient: DHCPREQUEST on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
    Nov 26 20:00:59 wb kernel: martian source 255.255.255.255 from 192.168.0.1, on dev eth1
    Nov 26 20:00:59 wb ifplugd(eth1)[4010]: client: Determining IP information for eth1... done.
    Nov 26 20:00:59 wb ifplugd(eth1)[4010]: Program executed successfully.
    Nov 26 20:01:06 wb avahi-daemon[4596]: Joining mDNS multicast group on interface eth1.IPv4 with address 192.168.0.100.
    Nov 26 20:01:06 wb avahi-daemon[4596]: New relevant interface eth1.IPv4 for mDNS.
    Nov 26 20:01:06 wb avahi-daemon[4596]: Registering new address record for fe80::209:5bff:fe0a:41f3 on eth1.*.
    Nov 26 20:01:06 wb avahi-daemon[4596]: Registering new address record for 192.168.0.100 on eth1.IPv4.
    Nov 26 20:01:11 wb ntpd[5244]: Listening on interface #3 eth1, fe80::209:5bff:fe0a:41f3#123 Enabled
    Nov 26 20:01:11 wb ntpd[5244]: Listening on interface #5 eth1, 192.168.0.100#123 Enabled
    ======== cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 ==========
    DEVICE=eth1
    BOOTPROTO=dhcp
    ONBOOT=yes
    METRIC=10
    MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no
    USERCTL=no
    RESOLV_MODS=no
    IPV6INIT=no
    IPV6TO4INIT=no
    DHCP_CLIENT=dhclient
    NEEDHOSTNAME=no
    PEERDNS=yes
    PEERYP=yes
    PEERNTPD=no
    ======== tail -18 /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient-eth1.leases ==========
    renew 4 2007/11/29 20:53:28;
    rebind 1 2007/12/3 06:51:07;
    expire 2 2007/12/4 03:51:07;
    }
    lease {
    interface "eth1";
    fixed-address 192.168.0.100;
    option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
    option routers 192.168.0.1;
    option dhcp-lease-time 604800;
    option dhcp-message-type 5;
    option dhcp-server-identifier 192.168.0.1;
    option domain-name-servers 192.168.0.1;
    option domain-name "MSHOME";
    renew 5 2007/11/30 00:16:49;
    rebind 1 2007/12/3 07:00:59;
    expire 2 2007/12/4 04:00:59;
    }
    === dmesg | grep eth2 | grep -v SRC= ===
    === grep eth2 /var/log/messages | tail -10 ===
    ===== cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifdown.d ; ls -al ====
    total 12
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-10-21 20:43 .
    drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 2007-11-08 20:07 ..
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 224 2007-10-03 14:49 vpn
    ===== cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup.d ; ls -al ====
    total 16
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-10-21 20:47 .
    drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 2007-11-08 20:07 ..
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 676 2007-01-28 15:26 netprofile
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 225 2007-10-03 14:49 vpn
    ========= cd /etc/resolvconf/update.d ; ls -al ========
    total 24
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-10-21 20:43 .
    drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 2007-10-21 20:43 ..
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3542 2006-03-08 09:03 bind
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2969 2006-07-28 08:05 dnscache
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4293 2007-07-06 09:33 libc
    ======= Shorewall settings =========
    ======= accounting =========
    ======= actions =========
    ======= blacklist =========
    ======= continue =========
    ======= ecn =========
    ======= hosts =========
    ======= init =========
    ======= initdone =========
    ======= interfaces =========
    ======== grep -v '^#' interfaces ==========
    net eth0 detect
    loc eth1 detect
    ======= ipsec =========
    ======= maclist =========
    ======= Makefile =========
    ======== grep -v '^#' Makefile ==========
    VARDIR=/var/lib/shorewall
    CONFDIR=/etc/shorewall
    RESTOREFILE?=.restore
    all: $(VARDIR)/${RESTOREFILE}

    $(VARDIR)/${RESTOREFILE}: $(CONFDIR)/*
    @/sbin/shorewall -q save >/dev/null; \
    if \
    /sbin/shorewall -q restart >/dev/null 2>&1; \
    then \
    /sbin/shorewall -q save >/dev/null; \
    else \
    /sbin/shorewall -q restart 2>&1 | tail >&2; \
    fi

    ======= masq =========
    ======= nat =========
    ======= netmap =========
    ======= params =========
    ======= policy =========
    ======== grep -v '^#' policy ==========
    loc net ACCEPT
    loc fw ACCEPT
    fw loc ACCEPT
    fw net ACCEPT
    net all DROP info
    all all REJECT info
    ======= providers =========
    ======= proxyarp =========
    ======= route_rules =========
    ======= routestopped =========
    ======= rules =========
    ======== grep -v '^#' rules ==========
    INCLUDE rules.drakx
    ======= rules.drakx =========
    ======= shorewall.conf =========
    ======== grep -v '^#' shorewall.conf ==========
    STARTUP_ENABLED=Yes
    VERBOSITY=1
    SHOREWALL_COMPILER=shell
    LOGFILE=/var/log/messages
    LOGFORMAT="Shorewall:%s:%s:"
    LOGTAGONLY=No
    LOGRATE=
    LOGBURST=
    LOGALLNEW=
    BLACKLIST_LOGLEVEL=
    MACLIST_LOG_LEVEL=info
    TCP_FLAGS_LOG_LEVEL=info
    RFC1918_LOG_LEVEL=info
    SMURF_LOG_LEVEL=info
    LOG_MARTIANS=No
    IPTABLES=
    PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin
    SHOREWALL_SHELL=/bin/sh
    SUBSYSLOCK=/var/lock/subsys/shorewall
    MODULESDIR=
    CONFIG_PATH=/etc/shorewall:/usr/share/shorewall
    RESTOREFILE=
    IPSECFILE=zones
    LOCKFILE=
    DROP_DEFAULT="Drop"
    RSH_COMMAND='ssh ${root}@${system} ${command}'
    IP_FORWARDING=Keep
    ADD_IP_ALIASES=Yes
    ADD_SNAT_ALIASES=No
    RETAIN_ALIASES=No
    TC_ENABLED=Internal
    TC_EXPERT=No
    CLEAR_TC=Yes
    MARK_IN_FORWARD_CHAIN=No
    CLAMPMSS=No
    ROUTE_FILTER=No
    DETECT_DNAT_IPADDRS=No
    MUTEX_TIMEOUT=60
    ADMINISABSENTMINDED=Yes
    BLACKLISTNEWONLY=Yes
    DELAYBLACKLISTLOAD=No
    MODULE_SUFFIX=
    DISABLE_IPV6=Yes
    BRIDGING=No
    DYNAMIC_ZONES=No
    PKTTYPE=Yes
    RFC1918_STRICT=No
    MACLIST_TABLE=filter
    MACLIST_TTL=
    SAVE_IPSETS=No
    MAPOLDACTIONS=No
    FASTACCEPT=No
    IMPLICIT_CONTINUE=Yes
    HIGH_ROUTE_MARKS=No
    USE_ACTIONS=Yes
    OPTIMIZE=0
    EXPORTPARAMS=Yes
    BLACKLIST_DISPOSITION=DROP
    MACLIST_DISPOSITION=REJECT
    TCP_FLAGS_DISPOSITION=DROP
    ======= start =========
    ======== grep -v '^#' start ==========
    INCLUDE /etc/ifw/start
    INCLUDE /etc/ifw/rules
    iptables -I INPUT 2 -j Ifw
    ======= started =========
    ======= stop =========
    ======== grep -v '^#' stop ==========
    iptables -D INPUT -j Ifw
    INCLUDE /etc/ifw/stop
    ======= stopped =========
    ======= tcclasses =========
    ======= tcdevices =========
    ======= tcrules =========
    ======= tos =========
    ======= tunnels =========
    ======= zones =========
    ======== grep -v '^#' zones ==========
    net ipv4
    loc ipv4
    fw firewall
    ======== grep -v '^#' /etc/hosts.allow ==========

    ======== grep -v '^#' /etc/hosts.deny ==========

    ==== end of config/network data dump =======

  8. Re: Non-existent eth0

    On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 20:59:31 -0800, Bill Pfeifer wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:

    Please, look around in your editor and set wrap about 70 please. Some
    subject matter experts may not reply if they have to re-wrap your post.

    > My main problem is that I'm still pretty ignorant when it comes to the guts of Linux.

    No problem. I gave the script to show files used in networking.
    I have no idea what is going to happen on next boot,
    You have disabled the On Board nic in bios.
    But you have left eth0 in some config files.

    When you reboot, and Internet does not work, get into MCC network and
    delete all connections, and configure them again. Then do the
    firewall.

    > Default run level is 5
    >
    > ======== chkconfig --list ==========
    > Double check if /avahi/ needs to be disabled on boot
    > avahi-daemon 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4ff 5n 6ff

    I recommend stopping and disabling that daemon/service, click up a terminal
    su - root
    service avahi-daemon stop
    chkconfig --del avahi-daemon

    > ======== grep hosts: /etc/nsswitch.conf ==========
    > hosts: files nis dns

    To speed up dns lookups I modify the line to look like
    hosts: files dns

    You can do a
    gedit /etc/nsswitch.conf
    to make the change, do click Save, Quit when done.

    > ======== hostname --fqdn ==========

    Hmmm, some daemons/services like to have a Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN)
    You have set hostname on boot but dhcp client wiped it out.
    We can fix that here in a little bit.

    > ======== cat /etc/iftab ==========
    > #eth0 mac 00:19:21:3b:6a:6b
    > eth1 mac 00:09:5b:0a:41:f3

    Sometimes you can get away with adding comments, sometimes you cannot
    I would delete the eth0 line if me. Your call.

    > ======== cat /etc/sysconfig/network ==========
    > NETWORKING_IPV6=no # speedup DNS lookups
    > NOZEROCONF=yes # no doze lookups needed
    > NEEDHOSTNAME=no # I'll use my own hostname
    > NETWORKING=yes
    > HOSTNAME=wb.home.invalid
    > # used to be only:
    > #NETWORKING-yes

    > ========== head -15 /etc/hosts ===========
    > 127.0.0.1 localhost

    Here is where we make a FQDN gedit /etc/hosts
    to make /etc/hosts look like

    127.0.0.1 wb.home.invalid wb localhost

    > ======== cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 ==========
    > DEVICE=eth0
    > BOOTPROTO=dhcp
    > NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    > ONBOOT=yes
    > METRIC=10

    gedit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
    and change ONBOOT=yes
    to ONBOOT=no

    Save, Quit

    > ======== tail -18 /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient-eth0.leases ==========

    General clean up, delete that file,

    rm /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient-eth0.leases

    > ======== cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 ==========
    > DEVICE=eth1
    > BOOTPROTO=dhcp
    > ONBOOT=yes
    > METRIC=10
    > MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no
    > USERCTL=no
    > RESOLV_MODS=no
    > IPV6INIT=no
    > IPV6TO4INIT=no
    > DHCP_CLIENT=dhclient
    > NEEDHOSTNAME=no
    > PEERDNS=yes
    > PEERYP=yes
    > PEERNTPD=no

    Hmmm, look at that, NEEDHOSTNAME=no, guessing eth0 was wiping out hostname.

    > ======== grep -v '^#' interfaces ==========
    > net eth0 detect
    > loc eth1 detect

    After you change the config files, you need to get into Mandriva
    Control Center--> Security-->
    Advanced setup for network interfaces and firewall

    and configure JUST eth1.

  9. Re: Non-existent eth0

    I followed your instructions, rebooted, and no more
    messages about eth0. Everything works.

    Thank you so much.

  10. Re: Non-existent eth0

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:18:46 -0800, Bill Pfeifer wrote:
    > I followed your instructions, rebooted, and no more
    > messages about eth0. Everything works.

    Was beginning to think you were dead in the water.

    Does hostname return wb.home.invalid ?

  11. Re: Non-existent eth0

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:18:46 -0800, Bill Pfeifer wrote:
    >> I followed your instructions, rebooted, and no more
    >> messages about eth0. Everything works.

    > Was beginning to think you were dead in the water.

    No, I was away from the computer.

    > Does hostname return wb.home.invalid ?

    Yes, it does.

  12. Re: Non-existent eth0

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 20:15:04 -0800, Bill Pfeifer wrote:

    >> Does hostname return wb.home.invalid ?

    > Yes, it does.

    Good, some daemons/services like a Fully Qualified Domain Names (FQDN)

+ Reply to Thread