Netgear WG111v2 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Netgear WG111v2 - Mandriva ; I'm trying to get a Netgear usb WG111v2 nic working with no luck. Mandriva 2008 sees it and installs drivers for it. When I go to connect to my router that has wpa running, before I hit connect the Mandriva ...

  1. Netgear WG111v2

    I'm trying to get a Netgear usb WG111v2 nic working with no luck.
    Mandriva 2008 sees it and installs drivers for it. When I go to connect
    to my router that has wpa running, before I hit connect the Mandriva
    network center shows a +75% signal. Once I enter the wpa password and
    hit connect, it connects but the signal immediately drops to 12% and I
    can never browse the Internet. If I boot up on a Ubuntu live disc, the
    network card connects with zero problems. I really want to use Mandriva
    but I need wireless to work. I have even worse results with another usb
    nic I have (don't recall the model at the moment). It makes Mandriva not
    boot up. If I plug it in after Mandriva boots, I can't launch any
    programs until I reboot and unplug the nic. Both nics work perfectly
    under Ubuntu Live.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Netgear WG111v2

    Bob wrote:

    > I'm trying to get a Netgear usb WG111v2 nic working with no luck.
    > Mandriva 2008 sees it and installs drivers for it. When I go to connect
    > to my router that has wpa running, before I hit connect the Mandriva
    > network center shows a +75% signal. Once I enter the wpa password and
    > hit connect, it connects but the signal immediately drops to 12% and I
    > can never browse the Internet. If I boot up on a Ubuntu live disc, the
    > network card connects with zero problems. I really want to use Mandriva
    > but I need wireless to work. I have even worse results with another usb
    > nic I have (don't recall the model at the moment). It makes Mandriva not
    > boot up. If I plug it in after Mandriva boots, I can't launch any
    > programs until I reboot and unplug the nic. Both nics work perfectly
    > under Ubuntu Live.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

    i believe there is a problem with encrypted wireless. maybe it will work
    unencrypted ?

    --
    Love is all u need.

  3. Re: Netgear WG111v2

    Bob wrote:
    > I'm trying to get a Netgear usb WG111v2 nic working with no luck.
    > Mandriva 2008 sees it and installs drivers for it. When I go to connect
    > to my router that has wpa running, before I hit connect the Mandriva
    > network center shows a +75% signal. Once I enter the wpa password and
    > hit connect, it connects but the signal immediately drops to 12% and I
    > can never browse the Internet. If I boot up on a Ubuntu live disc, the
    > network card connects with zero problems. I really want to use Mandriva
    > but I need wireless to work. I have even worse results with another usb
    > nic I have (don't recall the model at the moment). It makes Mandriva not
    > boot up. If I plug it in after Mandriva boots, I can't launch any
    > programs until I reboot and unplug the nic. Both nics work perfectly
    > under Ubuntu Live.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

    When MDV sets it up, does it use a native driver or ndiswrapper ?
    (I haven't bothered to look up if a native driver exists)

    If you don't know, post the contents of the following if they exist :

    /etc/modprobe.conf
    /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf (don't show us your PSK)
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*

    I have one of these working on an MDV 2006 system with ndiswrapper
    but using the Sitecom WL-142 driver instead of the complete crap
    Netgear driver. I'm using WPA also.

  4. Re: Netgear WG111v2

    foo wrote:
    > Bob wrote:
    >> I'm trying to get a Netgear usb WG111v2 nic working with no luck.
    >> Mandriva 2008 sees it and installs drivers for it. When I go to
    >> connect to my router that has wpa running, before I hit connect the
    >> Mandriva network center shows a +75% signal. Once I enter the wpa
    >> password and hit connect, it connects but the signal immediately drops
    >> to 12% and I can never browse the Internet. If I boot up on a Ubuntu
    >> live disc, the network card connects with zero problems. I really want
    >> to use Mandriva
    >> but I need wireless to work. I have even worse results with another
    >> usb nic I have (don't recall the model at the moment). It makes
    >> Mandriva not boot up. If I plug it in after Mandriva boots, I can't
    >> launch any programs until I reboot and unplug the nic. Both nics work
    >> perfectly under Ubuntu Live.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > When MDV sets it up, does it use a native driver or ndiswrapper ?
    > (I haven't bothered to look up if a native driver exists)
    >
    > If you don't know, post the contents of the following if they exist :
    >
    > /etc/modprobe.conf
    > /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf (don't show us your PSK)
    > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*
    >
    > I have one of these working on an MDV 2006 system with ndiswrapper
    > but using the Sitecom WL-142 driver instead of the complete crap
    > Netgear driver. I'm using WPA also.

    Hi,

    MDV 2008 apparently has the driver for the WG111v2 card already. When I
    initially setup the card it gave me the option of using that driver or
    ndiswrapper. I went with the builtin driver. When that didn't work I
    tried using ndiswrapper but I always got an error "unable to find the
    ndiswrapper interface" when trying to install using that. I tried using
    the wl-142 driver you are using but MCC network setup says "no device
    supporting this driver is present". Could it be a 32/64bit issue?

    Thanks

  5. Re: Netgear WG111v2

    Bob wrote:
    > foo wrote:
    >> Bob wrote:
    >>> I'm trying to get a Netgear usb WG111v2 nic working with no luck.
    >>> Mandriva 2008 sees it and installs drivers for it. When I go to
    >>> connect to my router that has wpa running, before I hit connect the
    >>> Mandriva network center shows a +75% signal. Once I enter the wpa
    >>> password and hit connect, it connects but the signal immediately
    >>> drops to 12% and I can never browse the Internet. If I boot up on a
    >>> Ubuntu live disc, the network card connects with zero problems. I
    >>> really want to use Mandriva
    >>> but I need wireless to work. I have even worse results with another
    >>> usb nic I have (don't recall the model at the moment). It makes
    >>> Mandriva not boot up. If I plug it in after Mandriva boots, I can't
    >>> launch any programs until I reboot and unplug the nic. Both nics work
    >>> perfectly under Ubuntu Live.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> When MDV sets it up, does it use a native driver or ndiswrapper ?
    >> (I haven't bothered to look up if a native driver exists)
    >>
    >> If you don't know, post the contents of the following if they exist :
    >>
    >> /etc/modprobe.conf
    >> /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf (don't show us your PSK)
    >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*
    >>
    >> I have one of these working on an MDV 2006 system with ndiswrapper
    >> but using the Sitecom WL-142 driver instead of the complete crap
    >> Netgear driver. I'm using WPA also.
    >>

    > Hi,
    >
    > MDV 2008 apparently has the driver for the WG111v2 card already. When I
    > initially setup the card it gave me the option of using that driver or
    > ndiswrapper. I went with the builtin driver. When that didn't work I
    > tried using ndiswrapper but I always got an error "unable to find the
    > ndiswrapper interface" when trying to install using that. I tried using
    > the wl-142 driver you are using but MCC network setup says "no device
    > supporting this driver is present". Could it be a 32/64bit issue?

    To use the Sitecom driver with ndiswrapper, you need to tell
    ndiswrapper that the driver is for that Netgear device.

    If you don't have the "/etc/ndiswrapper/wlanuig" then :

    # unzip Sitecom_WL-142_driver.zip
    # ndiswrapper -i Drivers/WlanUIG.inf
    # rm -rf Driver Utility

    You will now have "/etc/ndiswrapper/wlanuig", then :

    # lsusb | grep NetGear
    Bus 005 Device 002: ID 0846:4240 NetGear, Inc.

    notice the "ID"

    # ndiswrapper -d 0846:4240 wlanuig
    Driver 'wlanuig' is used for '0846:4240'

    You will now have a symlink in /etc/ndiswrapper/wlanuig,
    mine is '0846:4240.F.conf -> 3574:907D.F.conf'.

    To see if it works :

    # modprobe ndiswrapper
    # dmesg | grep wlan0

    If dmesg shows a happy wlan0 :