NFS shares. Configuring the firewall - Mandriva

This is a discussion on NFS shares. Configuring the firewall - Mandriva ; Hi, I'm having some trouble configuring the firewall to work, or rather NFS to work if I enable the firewall on the server computer. Both machines running 2008_0, main machine as server on a wired connection to router, client on ...

  1. NFS shares. Configuring the firewall

    Hi, I'm having some trouble configuring the firewall to work, or rather
    NFS to work if I enable the firewall on the server computer.
    Both machines running 2008_0, main machine as server on a wired
    connection to router, client on a wireless connection. NFS works OK if I
    disable the firewall completely, but obviously I don't want to do that
    all the time.
    Can anyone suggest which ports I can leave open and enable the firewall,
    I've tried every combination of the regular options, (Web server, DNS
    server, ETC.) but unless I disable it completely I cannot connect from
    the client.

  2. Re: NFS shares. Configuring the firewall

    On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 09:47:03 -0600, Jo Shloe wrote:
    > Hi, I'm having some trouble configuring the firewall to work, or rather
    > NFS to work if I enable the firewall on the server computer.
    > Both machines running 2008_0, main machine as server on a wired
    > connection to router, client on a wireless connection. NFS works OK if I
    > disable the firewall completely, but obviously I don't want to do that
    > all the time.
    > Can anyone suggest which ports I can leave open and enable the firewall,

    You may get a hint by looking in /var/log/messages for shorewall messages.
    They will give the port, protocol, source ip

    When I work those kinds of problems, I'll click up a terminal on the
    firewall box,
    su - roo
    tail -f /var/log/messages

    and then attempt to access the system to see to messages scroll by.

    Hit Ctl c to abort the tail command.

    For extra points do a
    man shorewall-rules

    Would not hurt to install the shorewall-doc package if not already
    done so then cut/paste these into your browser:
    /usr/share/doc/shorewall-doc/Documentation_Index.html
    /usr/share/doc/shorewall-doc/index.html

  3. Re: NFS shares. Configuring the firewall

    Em Domingo, 25 de Novembro de 2007 15:47, Jo Shloe escreveu:

    > Hi, I'm having some trouble configuring the firewall to work, or rather
    > NFS to work if I enable the firewall on the server computer.
    > Both machines running 2008_0, main machine as server on a wired
    > connection to router, client on a wireless connection. NFS works OK if I
    > disable the firewall completely, but obviously I don't want to do that
    > all the time.
    > Can anyone suggest which ports I can leave open and enable the firewall,
    > I've tried every combination of the regular options, (Web server, DNS
    > server, ETC.) but unless I disable it completely I cannot connect from
    > the client.

    the dificulty is up with the mount command...
    check this

    http://www.lowth.com/LinWiz/nfs_help.html

    regards

+ Reply to Thread