Boot menu choices and benefits of purchase-advice please - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Boot menu choices and benefits of purchase-advice please - Mandriva ; Another *buntu convert here. Overall, I am very impressed with Mandriva 2008, and am learning fast about the differences of the two OS's. I have a couple of questions perhaps you could help me with please. When my machine boots, ...

  1. Boot menu choices and benefits of purchase-advice please

    Another *buntu convert here.
    Overall, I am very impressed with Mandriva 2008, and am learning fast
    about the differences of the two OS's.
    I have a couple of questions perhaps you could help me with please.
    When my machine boots, I get the choice of booting Mandriva 2008, Safe
    Mode, and two further desktops, 2.22. something. I take it these are
    kernel updates (I use Easy Urpmi, thanks to you guys and gals). Do I
    select the newest kernel to boot each time or does Mandriva, like
    Ubuntu, automatically default to the newest kernel?

    2. I have bought Mandriva 2008 and understand this entitles me to
    receive 2 updates. Would there be any other benefits of having purchased
    the OS - I believe the Mandriva Club is now free. Is it to be expected
    that I pay in a years time?

    Many thanks for any help you can give

    Tony

  2. Re: Boot menu choices and benefits of purchase-advice please

    On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 06:50:08 GMT, AJS wrote:

    > I have a couple of questions perhaps you could help me with please.
    > When my machine boots, I get the choice of booting Mandriva 2008, Safe
    > Mode, and two further desktops, 2.22. something. I take it these are
    > kernel updates (I use Easy Urpmi, thanks to you guys and gals). Do I
    > select the newest kernel to boot each time or does Mandriva, like
    > Ubuntu, automatically default to the newest kernel?

    It defaults to whatever you boot loader has in it's config file.
    Example snippet:

    $ head /boot/grub/menu.lst
    timeout 5
    color black/cyan yellow/cyan
    default 0

    title /2008
    kernel (hd0,13)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=/2008 root=/dev/sda14 splash=0 vga=790
    initrd (hd0,13)/boot/initrd.img

    title /hotbu
    kernel (hd1,2)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=/hotbu root=/dev/sdb3 splash=0 vga=790

    -------------------
    default 0 indicates pick the first stanza (/2008) to boot. If I wanted
    my hot backup to be default (/hotbu) I would change default 0 to
    default 1

    What is booted would be /boot/vmlinuz and /boot/initrd.img
    Those happen to be soft links, seen with a
    $ ls -al /boot (with snipps to prevent line wrap)
    (snip) vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.6.22.9-desktop-2mdv
    (snip) initrd.img -> initrd-2.6.22.9-desktop-2mdv.img

    So, I would be booting *-2.6.22.9-desktop-2mdv as default.

  3. Re: Boot menu choices and benefits of purchase-advice please

    AJS wrote:

    > Would there be any other benefits of having purchased
    > the OS - I believe the Mandriva Club is now free.

    The main benefit is convenience. Everything in the paid-for version is
    available free of charge - either from the Mandriva mirrors or from other
    sources.

    Jim

  4. Re: Boot menu choices and benefits of purchase-advice please

    Bit Twister writes:

    > On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 06:50:08 GMT, AJS wrote:
    >

    >> I have a couple of questions perhaps you could help me with please.
    >> When my machine boots, I get the choice of booting Mandriva 2008, Safe
    >> Mode, and two further desktops, 2.22. something. I take it these are
    >> kernel updates (I use Easy Urpmi, thanks to you guys and gals). Do I
    >> select the newest kernel to boot each time or does Mandriva, like
    >> Ubuntu, automatically default to the newest kernel?

    > It defaults to whatever you boot loader has in it's config file.

    True as far as it goes...

    Mandriva, like Ubuntu defaults to the last installed kernel.

  5. Re: Boot menu choices and benefits of purchase-advice please

    On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 13:01:05 GMT, Dan Espen wrote:

    > Mandriva, like Ubuntu defaults to the last installed kernel.

    Only if the title of the first stanza is linux

    Lastest kernel install created /boot links
    initrd-desktop.img -> initrd-2.6.22.9-desktop-2mdv.img
    vmlinuz-desktop -> vmlinuz-2.6.22.9-desktop-2mdv

    It did add 2 stanzas at the bottom of of menu.lst, which is not the
    default install to be booted.
    Snippet follows.

    title memtest-1.70
    kernel (hd0,13)/boot/memtest-1.70.bin BOOT_IMAGE=memtest-1.70

    title linux
    kernel (hd0,13)/boot/vmlinuz-desktop BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=/dev/sda14 splash=0 vga=790
    initrd (hd0,13)/boot/initrd-desktop.img

    title desktop 2.6.22.9-2
    kernel (hd0,13)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.9-desktop-2mdv BOOT_IMAGE=desktop_2.6.22.9-2 root=/dev/sda14 splash=0 vga=790
    initrd (hd0,13)/boot/initrd-2.6.22.9-desktop-2mdv.img

  6. Re: Boot menu choices and benefits of purchase-advice please

    On 2007-11-25, AJS wrote:
    > Another *buntu convert here.
    > Overall, I am very impressed with Mandriva 2008, and am learning fast
    > about the differences of the two OS's.
    > I have a couple of questions perhaps you could help me with please.
    > When my machine boots, I get the choice of booting Mandriva 2008, Safe
    > Mode, and two further desktops, 2.22. something. I take it these are
    > kernel updates (I use Easy Urpmi, thanks to you guys and gals). Do I
    > select the newest kernel to boot each time or does Mandriva, like
    > Ubuntu, automatically default to the newest kernel?

    When I first boot up again after a new kernel has been installed, I
    manually select the new one from the list offered. After that, Mandriva
    seems to use that one from the 'Mandriva 2008' menu item.

    > 2. I have bought Mandriva 2008 and understand this entitles me to
    > receive 2 updates. Would there be any other benefits of having purchased
    > the OS - I believe the Mandriva Club is now free. Is it to be expected
    > that I pay in a years time?
    >
    > Many thanks for any help you can give

    Do you mean that you bought the current Powerpack download version for 49 Euros
    ?
    If so, what's described on that page is what you get.

    Or that you bought a Powerpack subscription for 59 Euros per year
    <http://store.mandriva.com/product_in...Csid=c5fc52531
    33e0f8af907ec10d3263ffb>?

    Or the boxed set for 69 Euros

    which is delivered by snail-mail and includes the printed manual?

    The subscription includes downloading of both the annual releases - eg
    2008.0 (the current one) and 2008.1 which is probably going to appear in
    about six months' time. That arrangement has recently replaced the former
    annual club-membership fee as a 'regular income' for Mandriva. That's
    probably the best way of giving financial support to Mandriva, whether or
    not you actually download both annual releases.

    Whichever way you got your copy, the frequent security and bug-fix updates
    are all free for as long as Mandriva publish them.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  7. Re: Boot menu choices and benefits of purchase-advice please

    Whiskers wrote:

    > When I first boot up again after a new kernel has been installed, I
    > manually select the new one from the list offered. After that, Mandriva
    > seems to use that one from the 'Mandriva 2008' menu item.

    Thanks for confirming that.

    > Do you mean that you bought the current Powerpack download version for 49 Euros
    > ?
    > If so, what's described on that page is what you get.

    This is the one I purchased. Thanks for the link, but old age muddles
    the mind.

    > The subscription includes downloading of both the annual releases - eg
    > 2008.0 (the current one) and 2008.1 which is probably going to appear in
    > about six months' time. That arrangement has recently replaced the former
    > annual club-membership fee as a 'regular income' for Mandriva. That's
    > probably the best way of giving financial support to Mandriva, whether or
    > not you actually download both annual releases.
    >
    > Whichever way you got your copy, the frequent security and bug-fix updates
    > are all free for as long as Mandriva publish them.

    Mandriva seems to be the operating system that I have settled on, as it
    is stable and support for multimedia and my Nvidia graphics card needs
    no action from me to get it working in Mandriva, plus my HP Scanjet
    3400C works out of the box.
    I'm not clever enough to be able to use the command line yet, and that
    has been my downfall with other distros - I really want a 'work out of
    the box' experience. There is a massive pile of Linux CDs and DVDs
    beside me I have tried, but I think I've found what I've been looking
    for - and that is worth a shilling or two to support.

    Thanks to everyone who has replied.

    Tony.

  8. Re: Boot menu choices and benefits of purchase-advice please

    On 2007-11-26, AJS wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:

    [...]

    > Mandriva seems to be the operating system that I have settled on, as it
    > is stable and support for multimedia and my Nvidia graphics card needs
    > no action from me to get it working in Mandriva, plus my HP Scanjet
    > 3400C works out of the box.
    > I'm not clever enough to be able to use the command line yet, and that
    > has been my downfall with other distros - I really want a 'work out of
    > the box' experience. There is a massive pile of Linux CDs and DVDs
    > beside me I have tried, but I think I've found what I've been looking
    > for - and that is worth a shilling or two to support.

    That was roughly my experience when I first tried Mandrake.

    > Thanks to everyone who has replied.

    This newsgroup (and before the name-change, the Mandrake group) is another
    reason I've stuck with Mandriva.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  9. Re: Boot menu choices and benefits of purchase-advice please

    AJS wrote:
    > Mandriva seems to be the operating system that I have settled on, as it
    > is stable and support for multimedia and my Nvidia graphics card needs
    > no action from me to get it working in Mandriva, plus my HP Scanjet
    > 3400C works out of the box.

    Knock on wood wrt nVidia drivers. Installing 2008 from a
    powerpack DVD worked, as is usual for a new install from
    CD/DVD. And the dkms rebuild of the drivers worked without
    a hitch when I upgraded the kernel. But most of my experience
    with Mandriva from 8.1 onward has been that upgrading to a
    new kernel or a major upgrade in KDE culminated in my having
    to download kernel source and a Linux package from the
    nVidia website and roll my own with that.

    If you need to upgrade to a new kernel, first download the
    devel package for the exact new kernel you will be downloading
    and installing. Then download and install the new kernel.
    On reboot, dkms _should_ create the new drivers needed.
    OBTW, you will need to have the software development tools
    installed, as that has compiler, linker and make software
    you will need.

    When a massive KDE or GNOME upgrade is looming, make sure you
    have the devel package installed for the kernel you will be
    using, and go for it. DKMS should do its thing automatically.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  10. Re: Boot menu choices and benefits of purchase-advice please

    On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 06:50:08 +0000, AJS wrote:

    > Another *buntu convert here.
    > Overall, I am very impressed with Mandriva 2008, and am learning fast
    > about the differences of the two OS's. I have a couple of questions
    > perhaps you could help me with please. When my machine boots, I get the
    > choice of booting Mandriva 2008, Safe Mode, and two further desktops,
    > 2.22. something. I take it these are kernel updates (I use Easy Urpmi,
    > thanks to you guys and gals). Do I select the newest kernel to boot each
    > time or does Mandriva, like Ubuntu, automatically default to the newest
    > kernel?
    >
    > 2. I have bought Mandriva 2008 and understand this entitles me to
    > receive 2 updates. Would there be any other benefits of having purchased
    > the OS - I believe the Mandriva Club is now free. Is it to be expected
    > that I pay in a years time?
    >
    > Many thanks for any help you can give
    >
    > Tony

    Mandriva 2008 does not default to the latest updated kernel you either
    need to select it or go into the mcc control center and change it to.
    default in grub if you are using it

    --
    ´╗┐gone in a second......>>>>>>jjim
    registered Linux user 281836........

  11. Re: Boot menu choices and benefits of purchase-advice please

    jjim wrote:

    > Mandriva 2008 does not default to the latest updated kernel you either
    > need to select it or go into the mcc control center and change it to.
    > default in grub if you are using it

    Thank you for the info Jjim. Made the changes in MCC.

    Thank you to all that replied also,

    Tony.

+ Reply to Thread