Upgrade to 2008 -- Now Cannot Upgrade Packages - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Upgrade to 2008 -- Now Cannot Upgrade Packages - Mandriva ; Ignoring all advice (including my own) I decided that rather than reconfig and add in I would just upgrade. When it came time for updates at the end of install, I picked everything that seemed likely to be on the ...

  1. Upgrade to 2008 -- Now Cannot Upgrade Packages

    Ignoring all advice (including my own) I decided that
    rather than reconfig and add in I would just upgrade.

    When it came time for updates at the end of install,
    I picked everything that seemed likely to be on the
    system (some things I really had no use for -- how
    it got installed I do not know, no package choices
    on an upgrade), and got a new kernel, among other
    things.

    This hosed grub, and the update kernel was not
    properly installed, but I untangled a bit of that.

    Then I tried to run MCC to pick updates missed and
    maybe get the new 22.9.*2mdv kernel a second time
    for better luck. Tried to set up sources, and the
    thing broke.

    When I go to urpmi, I get error messages
    error: db4 error(-30975) from dbenv->open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal
    error, run database recovery
    error: Runnning db->verify ...
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db4 error(-30975) from dbenv->open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal
    error, run database recovery
    error: Runnning db->verify ...
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery

    but I cannot figure out how to run recovery. recovery on
    the command line does nothing. urpmi.recover does not exist
    on my system, though mentioned at the bottom of the urpmi
    man page.

    rpm --rebuilddb yields the same:
[...]

    How do I "run database recovery" ?

    Cheers!

    jim b.
    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  2. Re: Upgrade to 2008 -- Now Cannot Upgrade Packages

    Jim Beard wrote:
    > How do I "run database recovery" ?

    There is an item in the Errata that may help (RPM database errors
    after upgrading):
    http://snipurl.com/1u5ie

    I found that by googling
    mandriva "run database recovery"
    and one of the suggestions pointed to the Errata.

  3. Re: Upgrade to 2008 -- Now Cannot Upgrade Packages

    Scott B. wrote:
    > Jim Beard wrote:
    >> How do I "run database recovery" ?

    > There is an item in the Errata that may help (RPM database errors
    > after upgrading):
    > http://snipurl.com/1u5ie
    >
    > I found that by googling
    > mandriva "run database recovery"
    > and one of the suggestions pointed to the Errata.

    Yes, maybe I am fumble-fingered or the search at Google
    is very sensitive to words/sequence for some reason. I found
    old instructions for rm __db* and then rpm -rebuilddb and the
    combination worked. briefly.

    I went into MCC, and it told me I had 222 packages to update.
    After that had been in process for a good while, I walked away
    for a few minutes, and came back to find MCC had disappeared.
    Restarted it, tried to update, and the problem recurred.

    Just removed the __db* files and tried again. No joy.
    Removed the __db* files and rpm --rebuilddb again. This
    time MCC said I had 56 or 58 update packages. Started that.

    MCC blew away again. I repeated rm and rebuild and tried again,
    and I had 43 packages to update. Then repeat all, and 24
    packages to update. At this point, I tried BitTwisters line
    urpmi --wget --auto-update --auto-select --auto
    and that got everything but the newest kernel and three packages
    uninstallable (lilo was one; I use grub, but at one point had
    switched to lilo -- seems no I cannot update the idle lilo).

    Used MCC to uninstall vmlinuz-2.6.22.9-desktop-2mdv because
    it did not have an initrd-2.6.22.9-desktop-2mdv.img file
    and re-installed that. Installed the devel package for
    that so nVidia drivers could be compiled. Rebooted.

    Miracle of miracles, the nVidia drivers compiled on reboot,
    the newest kernel is running, X11 has yet to crash on the
    newest kernel (three crashes on the 2.6.22.9-desktop-1mdv
    kernel during its brief period of use). Knock on wood
    (taps head with knuckles....)

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  4. Re: Upgrade to 2008 -- Now Cannot Upgrade Packages

    On 2007-11-25, Jim Beard wrote:
    > Scott B. wrote:
    >> Jim Beard wrote:

    [...]

    > Miracle of miracles, the nVidia drivers compiled on reboot,
    > the newest kernel is running, X11 has yet to crash on the
    > newest kernel (three crashes on the 2.6.22.9-desktop-1mdv
    > kernel during its brief period of use). Knock on wood
    > (taps head with knuckles....)
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

    I was getting random shut-downs a few minutes after logging in to a KDE
    session on Mdv2008 - but not with IceWM; I'd assumed the problem lay
    somewhere in KDE, and I've noticed a slew of updates for KDE stuff. But I
    use XFce4 anyway so I hadn't looked into the matter any further. Next
    time I boot my Mdv2008 system I'll try KDE again to see what happens now
    that I have the newer kernel.

    I don't switch from a working system to a new one all in one go; I
    dual-boot and muck around with the new system until I'm happy with it
    before making the change-over. I don't have a seperate /home partition
    for any system, but I do have a seperate partition for "data" which is
    accessible from all the systems I have installed.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  5. Re: Upgrade to 2008 -- Now Cannot Upgrade Packages

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2007-11-25, Jim Beard wrote:
    >> Scott B. wrote://* words of wisdom that worked *//
    >>> Jim Beard wrote:

    > [...]
    >
    >> Miracle of miracles, the nVidia drivers compiled on reboot,
    >> the newest kernel is running, X11 has yet to crash on the
    >> newest kernel (three crashes on the 2.6.22.9-desktop-1mdv
    >> kernel during its brief period of use). Knock on wood
    >> (taps head with knuckles....)
    >>
    >> Cheers!
    >>
    >> jim b.

    > I was getting random shut-downs a few minutes after logging in to a KDE
    > session on Mdv2008 - but not with IceWM; I'd assumed the problem lay
    > somewhere in KDE, and I've noticed a slew of updates for KDE stuff. But I
    > use XFce4 anyway so I hadn't looked into the matter any further. Next
    > time I boot my Mdv2008 system I'll try KDE again to see what happens now
    > that I have the newer kernel.

    I'm not sure whether it was the install kernel or the inability to
    get the updates in one fell swoop that created the problems, but
    I am suspicious of the kernel. I'm still looking for updates needed
    that were not identified/installed in earlier attempts. I remember
    seeing a bunch of alsa stuff, and I don't remember seeing all of it
    in the things downloaded, some does not appear in /var/log/rpmpkgs,
    and updates does not show it as still needed. I will have to go
    through packages available for install & select anything that looks
    like what I saw listed as updatable and get it.

    > I don't switch from a working system to a new one all in one go; I
    > dual-boot and muck around with the new system until I'm happy with it
    > before making the change-over. I don't have a seperate /home partition
    > for any system, but I do have a seperate partition for "data" which is
    > accessible from all the systems I have installed.

    This is a difference of personality, I think. I do plenty of
    tinkering with my toy, perhaps a hold-over from childhood when
    Tinker-Toys were a fav of mine, but when it comes to a new
    version of the OS I either go for a clean install and have to
    tinker with everything to make it work the way I like, or for
    an upgrade and have to tinker with things to make it work....
    The latter is usually easier, with the drawback that I never
    know for sure if my tinkering is complete until things have been
    running for weeks without problem.

    There are a few particular considerations. I keep two or
    three complete backups of everything needed on the system on
    a second hard drive, and add a new one before the upgrade/clean
    install. If all else fails, I can easily reinstall the old OS
    (minimal version) and overwrite everything from backup.

    It also helps that the only things I really value on the system
    are accumulated data that not only is in backup but on separate
    partitions (not reformatted for the new version) and in permanent
    storage on CD. Total recovery of everything worth keeping after a
    total loss of everything on the system is simply a matter of a
    modest amount of time.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  6. Re: Upgrade to 2008 -- Now Cannot Upgrade Packages

    Jim Beard wrote:
    > Scott B. wrote:
    >> Jim Beard wrote:
    >>> How do I "run database recovery" ?

    >> There is an item in the Errata that may help (RPM database errors
    >> after upgrading):
    >> http://snipurl.com/1u5ie
    >>
    >> I found that by googling
    >> mandriva "run database recovery"
    >> and one of the suggestions pointed to the Errata.

    > Yes, maybe I am fumble-fingered or the search at Google
    > is very sensitive to words/sequence for some reason. I found
    > old instructions for rm __db* and then rpm -rebuilddb and the
    > combination worked. briefly.
    >
    > I went into MCC, and it told me I had 222 packages to update.
    > After that had been in process for a good while, I walked away
    > for a few minutes, and came back to find MCC had disappeared. Restarted
    > it, tried to update, and the problem recurred.
    >
    > Just removed the __db* files and tried again. No joy.
    > Removed the __db* files and rpm --rebuilddb again. This
    > time MCC said I had 56 or 58 update packages. Started that.
    >
    > MCC blew away again. I repeated rm and rebuild and tried again,
    > and I had 43 packages to update. Then repeat all, and 24
    > packages to update. At this point, I tried BitTwisters line
    > urpmi --wget --auto-update --auto-select --auto
    > and that got everything but the newest kernel and three packages
    > uninstallable (lilo was one; I use grub, but at one point had
    > switched to lilo -- seems no I cannot update the idle lilo).
    >
    > Used MCC to uninstall vmlinuz-2.6.22.9-desktop-2mdv because
    > it did not have an initrd-2.6.22.9-desktop-2mdv.img file
    > and re-installed that. Installed the devel package for
    > that so nVidia drivers could be compiled. Rebooted.
    >
    > Miracle of miracles, the nVidia drivers compiled on reboot,
    > the newest kernel is running, X11 has yet to crash on the
    > newest kernel (three crashes on the 2.6.22.9-desktop-1mdv
    > kernel during its brief period of use). Knock on wood
    > (taps head with knuckles....)

    Perhaps I celebrated too soon. This morning, an attempt to
    look for files (actually updates) to install ran into the
    rpm database problem.

    Had to go into /var/lib/rpm and rm __db* and then run
    rpm --rebuilddb. That took a few minutes, and then I
    could fire up MCC and use it to look for programs.

    Odd note: found the BSD games package, so I once again have
    adventure on the system. enter get lamp get keys out w e
    s forest forest valley s s open .....

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --