some sweetness - Mandriva

This is a discussion on some sweetness - Mandriva ; At least when blowing off the root your user is still intact.... can't do that in a windows envar.....

  1. some sweetness

    At least when blowing off the root
    your user is still intact....

    can't do that in a windows envar..

  2. Re: some sweetness

    Helaman wrote:

    > At least when blowing off the root
    > your user is still intact....
    >
    > can't do that in a windows envar..

    Not true. It's much easier in Linux since you can set up different disk
    partitions to contain /, /home, etc.

    With Windows XP you can put the 'My Documents' hierarchy in a different
    partition the the Programs hierarchy. Similarly for the user configuration
    info held under 'Application Data' hierarchy. Not sure if one can
    configure things such that all user data goes to a different partition (not
    unlike Linux /home possibility). The way to reconfigure these settings is
    certainly not obvious and is not publicised by Microsoft - too complicated
    for the end users, they would say

    In any case, IMHO, the Linux way is *far* simpler. Many distro installation
    routines automate the partition setup. This partition splitting makes
    taking partition images very easy as well as for regular backing up.

    Rob.

  3. Re: some sweetness

    On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 14:29:42 +1100, Rob wrote:

    > Helaman wrote:
    >
    >> At least when blowing off the root
    >> your user is still intact....
    >>
    >> can't do that in a windows envar..

    > In any case, IMHO, the Linux way is *far* simpler. Many distro
    > installation routines automate the partition setup. This partition
    > splitting makes taking partition images very easy as well as for regular
    > backing up.
    >
    > Rob.

    scratching my head, that is what I meant. My home is on a separate
    partition. Naturally only works if it is on a separate partition.
    But still good info for newbies sorted through things

  4. Re: some sweetness

    > scratching my head, that is what I meant. My home is on a separate
    > partition. Naturally only works if it is on a separate partition.
    > But still good info for newbies sorted through things

    ============================
    Talking partitions : Available 100GB HD
    Currently I use 2007.1 with the following partitions / ; /dev/usr ;
    /home ; /swap

    When installing MDV2008 in not too distant future ,would it be sensible
    to have (many) more ...and if so which additional ones would be most
    important .
    I realise as so much with Linux ,it is a matter of personal preference,
    but a semi-newbie like myself could use some recommendations .

    Frank

  5. Re: some sweetness

    On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 19:39:41 +0000, Highland Ham wrote:

    >> scratching my head, that is what I meant. My home is on a separate
    >> partition. Naturally only works if it is on a separate partition. But
    >> still good info for newbies sorted through things

    > ============================
    > Talking partitions : Available 100GB HD Currently I use 2007.1 with the
    > following partitions / ; /dev/usr ; /home ; /swap
    >
    > When installing MDV2008 in not too distant future ,would it be sensible
    > to have (many) more ...and if so which additional ones would be most
    > important .
    > I realise as so much with Linux ,it is a matter of personal preference,
    > but a semi-newbie like myself could use some recommendations .
    >
    > Frank

    good question, I asked it myself a few years ago. You will be amazed on
    the responses. Talk about personal preferences. I never saw so many
    different setups. I wish I could move this question to its own thread.

    Personally, I do this /; /home ; /var (I run a server for testing) ;
    and /swap

    I am curious, I guess you put the partitions on different drives (I have
    four installed) and it would not matter to the OS. I keep them all one
    just to be tidy. Don't know if there would be advantage to doing so.

  6. Re: some sweetness (How many partitions ? )

    >> Talking partitions : Available 100GB HD Currently I use 2007.1 with the
    >> following partitions / ; /dev/usr ; /home ; /swap
    >>
    >> When installing MDV2008 in not too distant future ,would it be sensible
    >> to have (many) more ...and if so which additional ones would be most
    >> important .
    >> I realise as so much with Linux ,it is a matter of personal preference,
    >> but a semi-newbie like myself could use some recommendations .
    >>
    >> Frank

    > good question, I asked it myself a few years ago. You will be amazed on
    > the responses. Talk about personal preferences. I never saw so many
    > different setups. I wish I could move this question to its own thread.
    >
    > Personally, I do this /; /home ; /var (I run a server for testing) ;
    > and /swap
    >
    > I am curious, I guess you put the partitions on different drives (I have
    > four installed) and it would not matter to the OS. I keep them all one
    > just to be tidy. Don't know if there would be advantage to doing so.

    ============================
    No , all partitions are on 1 100GB HD , used for 1 distro.

    Frank

  7. Re: some sweetness (How many partitions ? )

    On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 20:19:56 +0000, Highland Ham wrote:

    >>> Talking partitions : Available 100GB HD Currently I use 2007.1 with
    >>> the following partitions / ; /dev/usr ; /home ; /swap
    >>>
    >>> When installing MDV2008 in not too distant future ,would it be
    >>> sensible to have (many) more ...and if so which additional ones would
    >>> be most important .
    >>> I realise as so much with Linux ,it is a matter of personal
    >>> preference, but a semi-newbie like myself could use some
    >>> recommendations .
    >>>
    >>> Frank

    >> good question, I asked it myself a few years ago. You will be amazed on
    >> the responses. Talk about personal preferences. I never saw so many
    >> different setups. I wish I could move this question to its own thread.
    >>
    >> Personally, I do this /; /home ; /var (I run a server for testing) ;
    >> and /swap
    >>
    >> I am curious, I guess you put the partitions on different drives (I
    >> have four installed) and it would not matter to the OS. I keep them all
    >> one just to be tidy. Don't know if there would be advantage to doing
    >> so.

    > ============================
    > No , all partitions are on 1 100GB HD , used for 1 distro.
    >
    > Frank

    I am sorry, I meant, in general one COULD PUT the partitions on different
    drives and it would not matter, I didn't mean you personally.

  8. Re: some sweetness

    On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 14:39:41 -0500, Highland Ham wrote:

    > When installing MDV2008 in not too distant future ,would it be sensible
    > to have (many) more ...and if so which additional ones would be most
    > important .

    Lot's of related discussions from the past ...

    See the thread http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...d9fbb5fb4e5e27
    for a discussion about hidden files, and using separate
    partitons, where possible, to reduce the possibility of the
    root filesystem becoming full, a really bad thing .

    See the thread http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...463c46982a84e6
    for a discussion about using lvm to get around the scsi limit
    of 16 partitions.

    See the message http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...2e36d32292eae? for a report on my early experience with lvm.

    See http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/index.html for a good intro
    to lvm.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  9. Re: some sweetness

    Highland Ham wrote:

    >> scratching my head, that is what I meant. My home is on a separate
    >> partition. Naturally only works if it is on a separate partition.
    >> But still good info for newbies sorted through things

    > ============================
    > Talking partitions : Available 100GB HD
    > Currently I use 2007.1 with the following partitions / ; /dev/usr
    > ; /home ; /swap
    >
    > When installing MDV2008 in not too distant future ,would it be
    > sensible to have (many) more ...and if so which additional ones
    > would be most important .
    > I realise as so much with Linux ,it is a matter of personal
    > preference, but a semi-newbie like myself could use some
    > recommendations .
    >
    > Frank

    I don't know what is really best but this has worked for me over a
    couple of years.

    /
    swap
    /usr
    /var
    /home

    /home being by far the largest partition.

    This is the scheme I have used over debian, mandrake , mandriva,
    ubuntu ,suse and 64Studio. The first three has been over several
    versions each.

    --
    Neil
    reverse ra and delete l