KDE vs GNOME - Mandriva

This is a discussion on KDE vs GNOME - Mandriva ; I have always used KDE over the years. What is the deal with GNOME? Is that a good GUI I think it is possible to install both and switch back and forth. The foot thing is kwel...lol Any advantage to ...

  1. KDE vs GNOME

    I have always used KDE over the years.

    What is the deal with GNOME? Is that a good GUI
    I think it is possible to install both and switch back and forth.
    The foot thing is kwel...lol

    Any advantage to GNOME or just a user preference which GUI
    to use. I know there is boat load of front ends, just curious
    who uses all those other front ends?

    someone here must be using GNOME,what is your opinion?

    I think some of them are for certain fields of study or at least one I
    looked at look like it was for chemistry or some such field of study.

  2. Re: KDE vs GNOME

    On 2007-11-24, Helaman wrote:
    > I have always used KDE over the years.
    >
    > What is the deal with GNOME? Is that a good GUI
    > I think it is possible to install both and switch back and forth.
    > The foot thing is kwel...lol

    You can install as many as you have disc-space for. When you log in, you
    can click on one of the icons at the bottom left of the log-in screen to
    choose which of the installed 'envornments' you want to use/

    > Any advantage to GNOME or just a user preference which GUI
    > to use. I know there is boat load of front ends, just curious
    > who uses all those other front ends?

    There are three 'layers' of software involved in most Linux GUIs: the X
    server, which works the 'graphics' hardware and provides basic functions;
    the window manager, which controls the basic the look and feel of the
    application windows and some other stuff, and the desktop environment
    which applies the finishing touches and might have a collection of
    programs and applications designed to work well together and share many of
    the same user configuration settings and go together to present a unified
    appearance.

    Mandriva currently uses the X server from Xorg; the other well-known X
    server is XFree86. It's probably best to stick with whichever one your
    distro defaults to, but end users are unlikely to see any difference.

    KDE and Gnome are desktop environments which are usually operated with
    their own related window managers; they are both 'big' in the sense that
    they come with a great many programs and utilities designed to work well
    together within the related desktop environment (although many of those
    things will also work OK in other desktop environments).

    Some people prefer to use a window manager alone, with no desktop
    environment; I've even heard of people using only X.

    I suggest you visit to find out more about the
    various window managers and desktop environments out there. My favourite
    is XFce4 with its own window manager xfwm. Some of the possibilites are
    wildly different from most people's notion of how a GUI is expected to
    work - eg Ratpoison and Ion are designed to be used without a mouse and
    are about as un-graphical-looking as you can get without actually using a
    text console.

    Install, try it out, if you don't like it then un-install )

    > someone here must be using GNOME,what is your opinion?
    >
    > I think some of them are for certain fields of study or at least one I
    > looked at look like it was for chemistry or some such field of study.

    I hadn't heard that before. They're all doing essentially the same thing,
    but in as many different ways as there are people developing them.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  3. Re: KDE vs GNOME

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 19:57:12 +0000, Helaman wrote:

    > I have always used KDE over the years.
    >
    > What is the deal with GNOME? Is that a good GUI I think it is possible
    > to install both and switch back and forth. The foot thing is kwel...lol
    >
    > Any advantage to GNOME or just a user preference which GUI to use. I
    > know there is boat load of front ends, just curious who uses all those
    > other front ends?
    >
    > someone here must be using GNOME,what is your opinion?
    >
    > I think some of them are for certain fields of study or at least one I
    > looked at look like it was for chemistry or some such field of study.

    It's all a matter of choice. I've always used IceWM. I don't care much for
    any of the others. KDE and Gnome both have a bunch of bells and whistles
    with KDE probably more so. But all those cost you performance wise.

  4. Re: KDE vs GNOME

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 19:57:12 +0000, Helaman wrote:

    > I have always used KDE over the years.
    >
    > What is the deal with GNOME? Is that a good GUI I think it is possible
    > to install both and switch back and forth. The foot thing is kwel...lol
    >
    > Any advantage to GNOME or just a user preference which GUI to use. I
    > know there is boat load of front ends, just curious who uses all those
    > other front ends?
    >
    > someone here must be using GNOME,what is your opinion?
    >
    > I think some of them are for certain fields of study or at least one I
    > looked at look like it was for chemistry or some such field of study.

    I've always used Gnome, at least since Mandrake 8. I've just never been
    enamored with KDE. It's mostly the desktop user interface I don't like.
    It just doesn't work for me. Gnome configures how I want and stays there.
    Both will do whatever task you need to accomplish, however. If you want
    some real fun go get a live CD of Mepis antiX, or even Damn Small Linux,
    which works well on my ancient IBM Thinkpad.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

  5. Re: KDE vs GNOME

    > I hadn't heard that before. They're all doing essentially the same
    > thing, but in as many different ways as there are people developing
    > them.

    thanks, you have a warehouse full of information

  6. Re: KDE vs GNOME

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 19:57:12 +0000, Helaman wrote:

    > I have always used KDE over the years.
    >
    > What is the deal with GNOME? Is that a good GUI
    > I think it is possible to install both and switch back and forth.
    > The foot thing is kwel...lol
    >
    > Any advantage to GNOME or just a user preference which GUI
    > to use. I know there is boat load of front ends, just curious
    > who uses all those other front ends?
    >
    > someone here must be using GNOME,what is your opinion?

    IMHO - Gnome seems a little 'lighter' - it comes up quicker on login. To
    me it also seems a little 'cleaner' - less MS like. I used to prefer KDE,
    but switched early this year.

    > I think some of them are for certain fields of study or at least one I
    > looked at look like it was for chemistry or some such field of study.

  7. Re: KDE vs GNOME

    Helaman wrote:
    > I have always used KDE over the years.
    >
    > What is the deal with GNOME? Is that a good GUI
    > I think it is possible to install both and switch back and forth.
    > The foot thing is kwel...lol

    KDE is more like the desktop that comes from Redmond. Some find
    the familiarity nice when switching, or just like it.

    Gnome is made in smaller pieces that fit together more tightly.
    This adds some efficiency and speed, but when you find you would
    like to update yelp to allow a new and improved something, and
    you find that removing the existing version of yelp breaks 43
    other packages that depend on it (but they will all work fine when
    you update yelp and then reinstall them all...) you may find
    yourself willing to tolerate KDE's bigger chunks and lesser
    efficiency. Unfortunately, yelp is not the only thing that is
    tightly integrated into a bunch of stuff like this...

    Install both. Boot your computer into run level 3
    (command line mode) by having the line
    id:3:initdefault:
    in your /etc/inittab file. Then start your choice with
    startx GNOME or startx KDE
    The script should work if gnome or kde are lower case,
    but in 2007.1 I had to use caps or it did not.

    BTW, having your computer boot into run level 3 can
    be a life-saver when updating or upgrading your X11
    or desktop software, especially if you need new nVidia
    drivers and for some reason they do not compile properly...
    A manual update of the drivers will work, but first you
    have to get the system started up....

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  8. Re: KDE vs GNOME

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 19:57:12 +0000, Helaman wrote:

    > I have always used KDE over the years.
    >
    > What is the deal with GNOME? Is that a good GUI I think it is possible
    > to install both and switch back and forth. The foot thing is kwel...lol
    >
    > Any advantage to GNOME or just a user preference which GUI to use. I
    > know there is boat load of front ends, just curious who uses all those
    > other front ends?
    >
    > someone here must be using GNOME,what is your opinion?
    >
    > I think some of them are for certain fields of study or at least one I
    > looked at look like it was for chemistry or some such field of study.

    I use fluxbox and blackbox...light & thin

    --
    ´╗┐gone in a second......>>>>>>jjim
    registered Linux user 281836........

+ Reply to Thread