trying to clam down 8-) - Mandriva

This is a discussion on trying to clam down 8-) - Mandriva ; Sorry guys, I just have been sailing along here for the last few years enjoying linux to no end. Everything seemed to break after the 2008 upgrade, been trying to fix stuff for over a week now, So (1.) I ...

  1. trying to clam down 8-)

    Sorry guys,

    I just have been sailing along here for the last few years enjoying linux
    to no end.

    Everything seemed to break after the 2008 upgrade, been trying to fix
    stuff for over a week now,

    So (1.) I have been using mandriva since it was called mandrake and
    I picked up a disc like version 3 or 4...seems to me version 7 was
    another hair raiser upgrade. (2.) I have been googling constantly trying
    to get back on track.

    such is life.....

    hanging in there.

  2. Re: trying to clam down 8-)

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 19:48:52 +0000, Helaman wrote:

    > Sorry guys,
    >
    > I just have been sailing along here for the last few years enjoying linux
    > to no end.
    >
    > Everything seemed to break after the 2008 upgrade, been trying to fix
    > stuff for over a week now,
    >
    > So (1.) I have been using mandriva since it was called mandrake and
    > I picked up a disc like version 3 or 4...seems to me version 7 was
    > another hair raiser upgrade. (2.) I have been googling constantly trying
    > to get back on track.
    >
    > such is life.....
    >
    > hanging in there.

    FWIW - I have recently done a number of upgrades to Ubuntu systems without
    incident. Maybe it's time to try something else. You know, one definition
    of insanity is constantly rerunning the same experiment and expecting a
    different outcome.

  3. Re: trying to clam down 8-)

    > FWIW - I have recently done a number of upgrades to Ubuntu systems
    > without incident. Maybe it's time to try something else. You know, one
    > definition of insanity is constantly rerunning the same experiment and
    > expecting a different outcome.

    I have gone through a lot of upgrades without incident.
    clever quote, however, heard it too many time now to find it funny.

    BTW, Ubuntu caught like wildfire. I installed in on a spare puter
    while back but didn't like it. I can't remember now what I didn't like
    about it, lol. Formated the drive, install xp and sold the computer
    which was what I intended to do anyway with the computer.

    I have a Ubuntu disc sitting right hereez besides me. Don't know how old
    the version is. I think I will download a fresh copy and take a look at
    it. isn't Ubuntu a gnome gui and kbuntu a KDE front end? Have both disc
    here.

  4. Re: trying to clam down 8-)

    Bacchus God of Wine wrote:

    >> FWIW - I have recently done a number of upgrades to Ubuntu systems
    >> without incident. Maybe it's time to try something else. You know, one
    >> definition of insanity is constantly rerunning the same experiment and
    >> expecting a different outcome.

    > I have gone through a lot of upgrades without incident.
    > clever quote, however, heard it too many time now to find it funny.

    Who said it's supposed to be funny? Ii's simply good advice (or,
    if you prefer, a good reminder about repeating bad experiences).

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  5. Re: trying to clam down 8-)

    On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 06:53:15 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Bacchus God of Wine wrote:
    >>
    >>> FWIW - I have recently done a number of upgrades to Ubuntu systems
    >>> without incident. Maybe it's time to try something else. You know, one
    >>> definition of insanity is constantly rerunning the same experiment and
    >>> expecting a different outcome.

    >> I have gone through a lot of upgrades without incident. clever quote,
    >> however, heard it too many time now to find it funny.

    > Who said it's supposed to be funny? Ii's simply good advice (or, if you
    > prefer, a good reminder about repeating bad experiences).

    yeah, whatever you say

  6. Re: trying to clam down 8-)

    Helaman wrote:
    > Sorry guys,
    >
    > I just have been sailing along here for the last few years enjoying linux
    > to no end.
    >
    > Everything seemed to break after the 2008 upgrade, been trying to fix
    > stuff for over a week now,

    ======================
    Universal advice (repeated many times on this NG ) Don't upgrade but do
    a fresh installation following a major distro change , 2005LE -2006 -
    2007 -2008.0 (but perhaps upgrade from 2008.0 to a future 2008.1)

    Frank

  7. Re: trying to clam down 8-)

    > I have a Ubuntu disc sitting right hereez besides me. Don't know how old
    > the version is. I think I will download a fresh copy and take a look at
    > it. isn't Ubuntu a gnome gui and kbuntu a KDE front end? Have both disc
    > here.

    ===========================
    Have heard rumours that it is better to install Ubuntu (GNOME) and add
    KDE instead of installing Kubuntu (meaning Ubuntu with KDE but without
    GNOME).

    Frank

  8. Re: trying to clam down 8-)

    On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 17:39:40 +0000, Highland Ham wrote:

    > Helaman wrote:
    >> Sorry guys,
    >>
    >> I just have been sailing along here for the last few years enjoying
    >> linux to no end.
    >>
    >> Everything seemed to break after the 2008 upgrade, been trying to fix
    >> stuff for over a week now,

    > ======================
    > Universal advice (repeated many times on this NG ) Don't upgrade but do
    > a fresh installation following a major distro change , 2005LE -2006 -
    > 2007 -2008.0 (but perhaps upgrade from 2008.0 to a future 2008.1)
    >
    > Frank

    I know, I just have been lucky in the past and had everything go so
    smoothly...got a fresh copy now and working great 8-)))

    still can't get this thing to share music and stuff to my other puters.
    working on it however

  9. Re: trying to clam down 8-)

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 20:11:24 +0000, Bacchus God of Wine wrote:

    >> FWIW - I have recently done a number of upgrades to Ubuntu systems
    >> without incident. Maybe it's time to try something else. You know, one
    >> definition of insanity is constantly rerunning the same experiment and
    >> expecting a different outcome.

    > I have gone through a lot of upgrades without incident.
    > clever quote, however, heard it too many time now to find it funny.
    >
    > BTW, Ubuntu caught like wildfire. I installed in on a spare puter
    > while back but didn't like it. I can't remember now what I didn't like
    > about it, lol. Formated the drive, install xp and sold the computer
    > which was what I intended to do anyway with the computer.
    >
    > I have a Ubuntu disc sitting right hereez besides me. Don't know how old
    > the version is. I think I will download a fresh copy and take a look at
    > it. isn't Ubuntu a gnome gui and kbuntu a KDE front end? Have both disc
    > here.

    IMHO - if you're 'into' KDE, it's better to install Ubuntu and then add
    the KDE Desktop - things seem to work a little better that way.

  10. Re: trying to clam down 8-)

    > IMHO - if you're 'into' KDE, it's better to install Ubuntu and then add
    > the KDE Desktop - things seem to work a little better that way.

    thanks for the help. I can't get the boot disc to boot....lol
    it loads once in a windows envar, says to reboot and let it go, but no go.
    but this is mandriva group, will step over to ubuntu group and check
    there for help

    Thanks again...others have said the same thing so must be true...lol

  11. Re: trying to clam down 8-)

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 19:48:52 +0000, Helaman wrote:

    > Sorry guys,
    >
    > I just have been sailing along here for the last few years enjoying
    > linux to no end.
    >
    > Everything seemed to break after the 2008 upgrade, been trying to fix
    > stuff for over a week now,
    >
    > So (1.) I have been using mandriva since it was called mandrake and I
    > picked up a disc like version 3 or 4...seems to me version 7 was another
    > hair raiser upgrade. (2.) I have been googling constantly trying to get
    > back on track.
    >
    > such is life.....
    >
    > hanging in there.

    mandriva 2008 works great_sometimes we run into fun, but really I now inst
    installed it on 16 different types from laptops to desk to old relics-
    wireless and hard they are all cooking.

    --
    ´╗┐gone in a second......>>>>>>jjim
    registered Linux user 281836........