ATI Catalyst Driver and mouse problem - Mandriva

This is a discussion on ATI Catalyst Driver and mouse problem - Mandriva ; Hello all, I have installed the latest Catalyst driver on my 2007 Spring installation and the display works fine with my Radeon 9800 Pro card. My problem is with the mouse pointer. I use a standard PS/2 wheel mouse. The ...

  1. ATI Catalyst Driver and mouse problem

    Hello all,

    I have installed the latest Catalyst driver on my 2007 Spring installation
    and the display works fine with my Radeon 9800 Pro card.

    My problem is with the mouse pointer.

    I use a standard PS/2 wheel mouse. The 'sensitive area' seems to be about
    three inches above the pointer and when I click the mouse button any icons
    on the desktop that are in that area become active instead of the area
    underneath the pointer. (i hope I am explaining this right!).

    As you can imagine this is downright frustrating. I have gone back to the
    xorg ati driver in the meantime.

    Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do to overcome it?

    Kind regards,

    Tim.

  2. Re: ATI Catalyst Driver and mouse problem

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 10:53:43 -0500, SomeBloke wrote:

    > My problem is with the mouse pointer.
    > Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do to overcome it?

    Only other report of this, I've seen in this newsgroup was
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...d5070d2e9c3d6?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: ATI Catalyst Driver and mouse problem

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 10:53:43 -0500, SomeBloke wrote:
    >
    >> My problem is with the mouse pointer.
    >> Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do to overcome it?

    > Only other report of this, I've seen in this newsgroup was
    > http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...d5070d2e9c3d6?
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Thanks for that Dave, I might persist for a few logins/logouts and see if it
    clears itself.

    Kind regards,

    Tim.

  4. Re: ATI Catalyst Driver and mouse problem

    On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 23:19:36 +0000, SomeBloke wrote:

    > Thanks for that Dave, I might persist for a few logins/logouts and see if it
    > clears itself.

    Ony way I could reliably sync mouse to actual location screen was to be moving
    the mouse while desktop manager was comming up.
    I always boot system at runlevel 3, after login, I would enter startx,
    start moving mouse, and enter. If mouse pointer did not jump to center
    screen I knew to close down desktop manager, hit up arror for startx,
    start moving mouse and hit return.

    Glad the problem went away with 2008.

  5. Re: ATI Catalyst Driver and mouse problem

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 23:19:36 +0000, SomeBloke wrote:
    >>
    >> Thanks for that Dave, I might persist for a few logins/logouts and see if
    >> it clears itself.

    > Ony way I could reliably sync mouse to actual location screen was to be
    > moving the mouse while desktop manager was comming up.
    > I always boot system at runlevel 3, after login, I would enter startx,
    > start moving mouse, and enter. If mouse pointer did not jump to center
    > screen I knew to close down desktop manager, hit up arror for startx,
    > start moving mouse and hit return.
    >
    > Glad the problem went away with 2008.

    Quick update. If I reduce the screen resolution to 1152x864 instead of my
    usual 1280x1024 the mouse pointer behaves itself. At 1280x1024 resolution
    with the 'Use Hardware Accelerated Mouse Pointer' option turned off the
    mouse pointer active area is also as normal, although small blocks of the
    screen are not updated as they would be ordinarily. Very strange.

    Maybe I should update to 2008.

  6. Re: ATI Catalyst Driver and mouse problem

    On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 01:09:07 +0000, SomeBloke wrote:

    > Maybe I should update to 2008.

    I do not recommend an upgrade, do a clean install clean install.
    I keep spare 12 gig partitions around for new installs. Old install
    becomes free when I am happy with new install.

  7. Re: ATI Catalyst Driver and mouse problem

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 01:09:07 +0000, SomeBloke wrote:
    >>
    >> Maybe I should update to 2008.

    > I do not recommend an upgrade, do a clean install clean install.
    > I keep spare 12 gig partitions around for new installs. Old install
    > becomes free when I am happy with new install.

    Reinstall is my usual route. I don't think that I have had a successful
    upgrade since I started with Mandrake/Mandriva version 8.0. It finally sunk
    in when I lost everything after trying to upgrade from 9.2 to 10.1.

    Ahh, 9.2, now there was a distro!

    Tim.

+ Reply to Thread