MDV 2008 PWP help cdrom - Mandriva

This is a discussion on MDV 2008 PWP help cdrom - Mandriva ; I have just tried to install updates and it failed I have 2 DVD drives and when updates try to updates, it needs some things off the DVD' but it cannot find the Drive it is looking for CDROM2 and ...

  1. MDV 2008 PWP help cdrom

    I have just tried to install updates and it failed
    I have 2 DVD drives and when updates try to updates, it needs some
    things off the DVD' but it cannot find the Drive it is looking for
    CDROM2 and I what I get is
    Please insert the medium named "Mandriva LINUX -2008.0(Powerpack 64) -
    installer" on device [/dev/cdrom2]

    Diskdrake
    Mount point: /media/cdrom2
    device : hda
    type:auto

    btw if I insert a cdrom or dvd the drive works perfectly
    please can you help me?

  2. Re: MDV 2008 PWP help cdrom

    Mr H wrote:
    > I have just tried to install updates and it failed
    > I have 2 DVD drives and when updates try to updates, it needs some
    > things off the DVD' but it cannot find the Drive it is looking for
    > CDROM2 and I what I get is
    > Please insert the medium named "Mandriva LINUX -2008.0(Powerpack 64) -
    > installer" on device [/dev/cdrom2]
    >
    > Diskdrake
    > Mount point: /media/cdrom2
    > device : hda
    > type:auto
    >
    > btw if I insert a cdrom or dvd the drive works perfectly
    > please can you help me?

    Umask 0022 sets permissions to read/write/exec for root
    only. This has to be changed when the disk is mounted,
    or the program using it has to run set user id to root,
    -- or you have to change the umask to 0 in /etc/fstab --
    or it will not work for a user. Why it is not being
    automatically mounted with permissions changed is beyond
    me. Changing the setting in fstab should do the trick.

    My question is, why are you trying to update from
    the DVD ? To get new updates, you need to go to
    a Mandriva mirror.

    You can set up your sources using the Mandriva Linux
    Control Center, but I would recommend you go to
    http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ and follow the instructions
    carefully.

    Then update your system, either via the MCC or using
    urpmi. The following line from BitTwister works well
    for me.

    urpmi --wget --auto-update --auto-select --auto

    Put the above in an ascii file, and then
    chown root:root newfile
    chmode 755 newfile
    and as root ( su - root) run the file
    ../newfile

    Initial updates may be numerous and large. I do not
    yet have my copy of 2008, but for 2007 initial updates
    totaled 700 MB.

    Note that new kernels are never an update, but a
    new install, for a couple of reasons. The old
    kernel is not removed or replaced (this provides a
    fallback if the new kernel does not work on your
    machine), and it forces you to deliberately take
    action to update the kernel. You cannot do it by
    accident.

    Finally, once you have mirros working to provide updates,
    if you are on broadband, remove your DVD sources from
    your update sources. Depend entirely on the mirrors, as
    this will ensure you always get the current version.
    If you are on dial-up, keep the DVD sources in place, as
    you may need them for installing large packages that
    have not been updated since release of the DVD.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: MDV 2008 PWP help cdrom

    On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 18:31:22 +1100, Mr H wrote:

    > I have 2 DVD drives and when updates try to updates, it needs some
    > things off the DVD' but it cannot find the Drive it is looking for
    > CDROM2 and I what I get is
    > Please insert the medium named "Mandriva LINUX -2008.0(Powerpack 64) -
    > installer" on device [/dev/cdrom2]

    Yep, one of the steps in my Admin Diary under New Installs is
    #************************************************* ***********
    #*
    #* If internet is working
    #* add contrib, main, updates, ... entries
    #*
    #************************************************* ***********
    mcc
    click, "Configure media sources for install and update"
    Disable all removable media
    Set wget in Options Global
    quit mcc

  4. Re: MDV 2008 PWP help cdrom

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 18:31:22 +1100, Mr H wrote:
    >
    >> I have 2 DVD drives and when updates try to updates, it needs some
    >> things off the DVD' but it cannot find the Drive it is looking for
    >> CDROM2 and I what I get is
    >> Please insert the medium named "Mandriva LINUX -2008.0(Powerpack 64) -
    >> installer" on device [/dev/cdrom2]

    > Yep, one of the steps in my Admin Diary under New Installs is
    > #************************************************* ***********
    > #*
    > #* If internet is working
    > #* add contrib, main, updates, ... entries
    > #*
    > #************************************************* ***********
    > mcc
    > click, "Configure media sources for install and update"
    > Disable all removable media
    > Set wget in Options Global
    > quit mcc

    Thank you Bit Twister, you are a Wiz at Linux it seems

  5. Re: MDV 2008 PWP help cdrom

    Jim Beard wrote:
    > Mr H wrote:
    >> I have just tried to install updates and it failed
    >> I have 2 DVD drives and when updates try to updates, it needs some
    >> things off the DVD' but it cannot find the Drive it is looking for
    >> CDROM2 and I what I get is
    >> Please insert the medium named "Mandriva LINUX -2008.0(Powerpack 64) -
    >> installer" on device [/dev/cdrom2]
    >>
    >> Diskdrake
    >> Mount point: /media/cdrom2
    >> device : hda
    >> type:auto
    >>
    >> btw if I insert a cdrom or dvd the drive works perfectly
    >> please can you help me?

    > Umask 0022 sets permissions to read/write/exec for root
    > only. This has to be changed when the disk is mounted,
    > or the program using it has to run set user id to root,
    > -- or you have to change the umask to 0 in /etc/fstab --
    > or it will not work for a user. Why it is not being
    > automatically mounted with permissions changed is beyond
    > me. Changing the setting in fstab should do the trick.
    >
    > My question is, why are you trying to update from
    > the DVD ? To get new updates, you need to go to
    > a Mandriva mirror.
    >
    > You can set up your sources using the Mandriva Linux
    > Control Center, but I would recommend you go to
    > http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ and follow the instructions
    > carefully.
    >
    > Then update your system, either via the MCC or using
    > urpmi. The following line from BitTwister works well
    > for me.
    >
    > urpmi --wget --auto-update --auto-select --auto
    >
    > Put the above in an ascii file, and then
    > chown root:root newfile
    > chmode 755 newfile
    > and as root ( su - root) run the file
    > ./newfile
    >
    > Initial updates may be numerous and large. I do not
    > yet have my copy of 2008, but for 2007 initial updates
    > totaled 700 MB.
    >
    > Note that new kernels are never an update, but a
    > new install, for a couple of reasons. The old
    > kernel is not removed or replaced (this provides a
    > fallback if the new kernel does not work on your
    > machine), and it forces you to deliberately take
    > action to update the kernel. You cannot do it by
    > accident.
    >
    > Finally, once you have mirros working to provide updates,
    > if you are on broadband, remove your DVD sources from
    > your update sources. Depend entirely on the mirrors, as
    > this will ensure you always get the current version.
    > If you are on dial-up, keep the DVD sources in place, as
    > you may need them for installing large packages that
    > have not been updated since release of the DVD.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

    Thank you Jim, the updates asked for something off the DVD to install
    the updates

+ Reply to Thread