ipw3945 cannot communicate. - Mandriva

This is a discussion on ipw3945 cannot communicate. - Mandriva ; I have a sony viao with a intel 3945 wireless card. I can bring it up in that it will get a dhcp address from the AP. Doing a tcpdump, it goes out to hte dns server and gets back ...

  1. ipw3945 cannot communicate.

    I have a sony viao with a intel 3945 wireless card. I can bring it up in
    that it will get a dhcp address from the AP. Doing a tcpdump, it goes out
    to hte dns server and gets back the address for a ping to ftp.uu.net.
    But the message sent out never gets a response. Doing ssh, the ssh get sent
    out according to tcpdump, but the remote computer never gets the ssh
    request (using tcpdump on that machine) and no answer ever gets sent back.

    So, what could be wrong? How in the world can the card do dns queries, dhcp
    queries but nothing else.
    As far as I know iptables is shut down ( no iptables running according to
    ps) so it cannot(?) be the firewall. What in the world could it be? It is
    hard to believe it is hardware since dns and dhcp work.
    But I need suggestions as to what it could be.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: ipw3945 cannot communicate.

    On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:50:50 -0500, Unruh wrote:

    > As far as I know iptables is shut down ( no iptables running according to
    > ps) so it cannot(?) be the firewall. What in the world could it be? It is
    > hard to believe it is hardware since dns and dhcp work.
    > But I need suggestions as to what it could be.

    iptables is a kernel module, not a separate process.

    Either dig in "man iptables, or install shorewall, and then use
    "shorewall clear" to allow all access. I suspect what you currently have,
    is the equivalent of "shorewall stop", which blocks all traffic.

    Note that shorewall, is just one front-end, for configuring iptables. There
    are several available, like guarddog. They are just used for creating and
    a firewall, like in windows.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: ipw3945 cannot communicate.

    "David W. Hodgins" writes:

    >On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:50:50 -0500, Unruh wrote:

    >> As far as I know iptables is shut down ( no iptables running according to
    >> ps) so it cannot(?) be the firewall. What in the world could it be? It is
    >> hard to believe it is hardware since dns and dhcp work.
    >> But I need suggestions as to what it could be.

    >iptables is a kernel module, not a separate process.

    >Either dig in "man iptables, or install shorewall, and then use
    >"shorewall clear" to allow all access. I suspect what you currently have,
    >is the equivalent of "shorewall stop", which blocks all traffic.

    >Note that shorewall, is just one front-end, for configuring iptables. There
    >are several available, like guarddog. They are just used for creating and
    >a firewall, like in windows.

    Thanks Will try. However, I ran
    service iptables stop
    and it stated that
    "Resetting built-in chains to the default ACCEPT policy:"
    Also, eth0, a wired connection, works fine, which sort of suggests it is
    not iptables ( although it might still be)

+ Reply to Thread