KDE logout - Mandriva

This is a discussion on KDE logout - Mandriva ; Hi, There was some discussion a while ago about the KDE session getting logged out when one runs wine. I'm now getting the same behaviour when I try and watch a movie clip in Mplayer, or if I try and ...

  1. KDE logout

    Hi,

    There was some discussion a while ago about the KDE session getting logged
    out when one runs wine. I'm now getting the same behaviour when I try and
    watch a movie clip in Mplayer, or if I try and preview an OpenGL
    screensaver.

    I seem to recall someone saying that it was something to do with the
    graphics driver, and that reinstalling it may help. Can someone please
    explain how I go about doing that, or if there is anything else I should
    try?

    As far as my setup goes, 'uname -a' gives me

    Linux desktop 2.6.17-16mdv #1 SMP Wed Sep 26 16:10:48 EDT 2007 i686 AMD
    Athlon(TM) XP 1700+ GNU/Linux

    My video card is an old 3dfx Voodoo5.

    If any other information would be helpful, please let me know.
    TIA.

  2. Re: KDE logout

    Keith Willis wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > There was some discussion a while ago about the KDE session getting logged
    > out when one runs wine. I'm now getting the same behaviour when I try and
    > watch a movie clip in Mplayer, or if I try and preview an OpenGL
    > screensaver.
    >
    > I seem to recall someone saying that it was something to do with the
    > graphics driver, and that reinstalling it may help. Can someone please
    > explain how I go about doing that, or if there is anything else I should
    > try?
    >
    > As far as my setup goes, 'uname -a' gives me
    >
    > Linux desktop 2.6.17-16mdv #1 SMP Wed Sep 26 16:10:48 EDT 2007 i686 AMD
    > Athlon(TM) XP 1700+ GNU/Linux
    >
    > My video card is an old 3dfx Voodoo5.
    >
    > If any other information would be helpful, please let me know.
    > TIA.

    I had that problem. I found the answer on Google.

    It isn't so much the card as the driver. There was some interaction between
    Wine and the nVidia driver, that causes problems when you upgrade Wine.
    The thread said it had been fixed with more recent releases of Wine, but it
    is worth a try. 3dfx seem to use their own driver. If the card is no
    longer common, a similar problem may not have been reported (or fixed.)
    Here is what I did:

    For those using the latest driver from nVidia's site, simply uninstall it
    (with nvidia-installer --uninstall) and reinstall it. This must be done
    from runlevel 3. If you get a message saying that it can't find some
    OpenGL files to restore, don't worry, they would be removed again on the
    reinstall.

    If you are using Mandriva's version of the driver, either uninstall and
    reinstall the driver RPM (perhaps safer) or install it again using
    rpm --force. If you aren't automatically prompted to set up your graphics
    card again, the simplest solution is to go to the Mandriva Control Center
    (drakconf.) You can run XFdrake, but that must be done from outside X
    (runlevel 3.)

    This can easily be adapted to other drivers. It should not affect Wine.

    HTH,

    Doug.

  3. Re: KDE logout

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Keith Willis wrote:
    >
    >> There was some discussion a while ago about the KDE session getting
    >> logged
    >> out when one runs wine. I'm now getting the same behaviour when I try
    >> and watch a movie clip in Mplayer, or if I try and preview an OpenGL
    >> screensaver.

    > If you are using Mandriva's version of the driver, either uninstall and
    > reinstall the driver RPM (perhaps safer) or install it again using
    > rpm --force. If you aren't automatically prompted to set up your graphics
    > card again, the simplest solution is to go to the Mandriva Control Center
    > (drakconf.) You can run XFdrake, but that must be done from outside X
    > (runlevel 3.)
    >
    > This can easily be adapted to other drivers. It should not affect Wine.

    Could you (or anyone!) go through the procedure in a bit more detail? I'm
    something of a newb to this stuff

    The driver appears to be
    called "x11-driver-video-tdfx-1.3.0-mdv2007.1.i586". I've tried removing
    that in the "Install, Remove, and Update Software" tool, and then replacing
    it, but that had no noticeable effect.

+ Reply to Thread