Mail server question - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Mail server question - Mandriva ; For the past few years I've run a MySQL/Postfix/Courier-IMAP mail server confined to my home LAN. As it turned out, I used it primarily to receive mail from my server -- fax log notices, backup logs, update logs, you know ...

  1. Mail server question

    For the past few years I've run a MySQL/Postfix/Courier-IMAP mail server
    confined to my home LAN. As it turned out, I used it primarily to
    receive mail from my server -- fax log notices, backup logs, update
    logs, you know the stuff.

    I have had to rebuild that server and I'm struggling to get the mail
    server back up. I have backups of the config files, but this is a great
    big pain.

    My question is, can I get that intralan mail by configuring my root user
    to forward to a mail service like gmail or hotmail?

    Anybody done any of this?

    Thanks.

    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    There has been an alarming increase in the number of things you know
    nothing about.

  2. Re: Mail server question

    On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 20:02:12 -0700, Mark Adams wrote:

    > For the past few years I've run a MySQL/Postfix/Courier-IMAP mail
    > server confined to my home LAN. As it turned out, I used it
    > primarily to receive mail from my server -- fax log notices, backup
    > logs, update logs, you know the stuff.
    >
    > I have had to rebuild that server and I'm struggling to get the mail
    > server back up. I have backups of the config files, but this is a
    > great big pain.
    >
    > My question is, can I get that intralan mail by configuring my root
    > user to forward to a mail service like gmail or hotmail?

    If I understand the problem correctly, then yes, this shouldn't be
    particularly difficult, and requires only Postfix itself.

    First, establish that Postfix is sufficiently configured to be able to
    send mail successfully to external systems, and test that by sending
    mail to the destination address that you intend to use for those root
    mails, as well as at least a couple of other addresses to which you have
    access (or where a friend can tell you whether or not it got through).
    The reason for the multiple tests is to rule out any problems that are
    specific to your chosen destination address, such as any sender verify
    checking and/or spam filtering policies they may apply to inbound mail.
    Such problems can usually be worked around, if need be, but just using a
    different e-mail address instead is generally the easier solution.

    Once you have that working, edit (as root) your "/etc/postfix/aliases"
    file; at the very bottom of this file is an entry that looks - in the
    default Mandriva version of the file, at least - like this:

    root: postfix

    Edit this line to read (substituting your chosen address, of course):

    root: someone@somewhere.else

    Save it, then run the following two commands at a root command prompt:

    newaliases
    postfix reload

    Test the changes by sending a mail to "root@localhost"; if it ends up at
    your external address, you should be all set. If it doesn't, looking at
    the tail end of your "/var/log/mail/info" file may reveal clues as to
    why it did not.

    You should also bear in mind that if Postfix has not also been set up
    to receive mail from external systems (which is an order of magnitude
    more complicated, as configs go), then any bounce or delivery-delay
    messages that would normally be sent at some point after their inital
    acceptance of the mail will be undeliverable, so you'll never see them.

    HTH!

    --
    Moon
    RLU #270075

    "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish,
    and he'll buy a funny hat. Talk to a hungry man about fish, and you're
    a consultant." -- Scott Adams

+ Reply to Thread