trying thunderbird to do newsgroups - Mandriva

This is a discussion on trying thunderbird to do newsgroups - Mandriva ; Ok, giving this a try. what do others think of it "Thunderbird" as a newsgroup reader?...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. trying thunderbird to do newsgroups

    Ok, giving this a try. what do others think of it
    "Thunderbird" as a newsgroup reader?

  2. Re: trying thunderbird to do newsgroups

    On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 09:14:19 -0800, Zoraster wrote:
    > Ok, giving this a try. what do others think of it
    > "Thunderbird" as a newsgroup reader?

    Thunderbird works. I need better scoring to kill file spam, trolls and whatnot.

    I use slrn for usenet text, pan for binaries. Note pan is half broke.

    For some reason it only shows about 1/4 to 1/2 of the image every once
    in awhile. Lately it seems like every third picture is broke in
    alt.binaries.pictures.animals. I was guessing Micro$not redefined the
    the rules again.

    Pan does not let me see enough of the header to see what
    format/name/mimetype to get a handle on what is wrong.

  3. Re: trying thunderbird to do newsgroups

    On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 09:14:19 -0800, Zoraster wrote:

    > Ok, giving this a try. what do others think of it "Thunderbird" as a
    > newsgroup reader?

    I use it for email, and have used it for newsgroups, but prefer a real
    news reader like pan. If you use thunderbird for news, just be sure not to
    send in html and make sure you wrap the messages at 78 characters.

  4. Re: trying thunderbird to do newsgroups

    On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 17:43:31 GMT, Wes Newell wrote:

    > I use it for email, and have used it for newsgroups, but prefer a real
    > news reader like pan. If you use thunderbird for news, just be sure not to
    > send in html and make sure you wrap the messages at 78 characters.

    Set wrap at 65 or 70 will leave room for the reply indicators. :-)

  5. Re: trying thunderbird to do newsgroups

    Zoraster wrote:
    > Ok, giving this a try. what do others think of it "Thunderbird" as
    > a newsgroup reader?

    I've been using Thunderbird for newsgroups for two years, does the job
    but doesn't have the tricks of better readers.

    Andy J.

  6. Re: trying thunderbird to do newsgroups

    Zoraster wrote:
    > Ok, giving this a try. what do others think of it
    > "Thunderbird" as a newsgroup reader?

    It's doable if you add a lot of add-ons, but it's huge weakness is in
    its lack of filtering capabilities. A local server like leafnode is a
    workaround.

    Filtering: http://improve-usenet.org/filters_ex2.html

    Add-Ons: http://blinkynet.net/comp/tbext.html

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  7. Re: trying thunderbird to do newsgroups

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 09:14:19 -0800, Zoraster wrote:
    >> Ok, giving this a try. what do others think of it "Thunderbird" as a
    >> newsgroup reader?

    > Thunderbird works. I need better scoring to kill file spam, trolls and
    > whatnot.
    >
    > I use slrn for usenet text, pan for binaries. Note pan is half broke.

    Are you using the new alpha version of Pan that they don't call an alpha?
    Or the old stable and fully-featured version?

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  8. Re: trying thunderbird to do newsgroups

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 09:14:19 -0800, Zoraster wrote:
    >
    >> Ok, giving this a try. what do others think of it "Thunderbird" as a
    >> newsgroup reader?

    > I use it for email, and have used it for newsgroups, but prefer a real
    > news reader like pan. If you use thunderbird for news, just be sure
    > not to send in html and make sure you wrap the messages at 78
    > characters.

    Or 70 or 72, which seem to be the conventional lengths.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  9. Re: trying thunderbird to do newsgroups

    On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 12:55:05 -0800, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Are you using the new alpha version of Pan that they don't call an alpha?
    > Or the old stable and fully-featured version?

    Pan 0.125, 0.132 seemed to be worse. Fired up knode, and it barked on someting
    like Can not handle mime/partial. Maybe those are the ones pan is
    displaying top half only.

  10. Re: trying thunderbird to do newsgroups

    On Tuesday 20 November 2007 12:40 pm, in the newsgroup
    alt.os.linux.mandriva, in article
    , Highland Ham wrote:

    > Zoraster wrote:
    >> Ok, giving this a try. what do others think of it
    >> "Thunderbird" as a newsgroup reader?

    > ==============================
    > Thunderbird is a superb NG reader ...and e-mail client.
    >
    > Frank

    Did they ever fix Thunderbird's failure to mark cross-posted messages as
    read when you had read them in another newsgroup. That was a show-stopper
    for me.
    --
    Cliff

  11. Re: trying thunderbird to do newsgroups

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Zoraster wrote:
    >> Ok, giving this a try. what do others think of it
    >> "Thunderbird" as a newsgroup reader?

    > It's doable if you add a lot of add-ons, but it's huge weakness is in
    > its lack of filtering capabilities. A local server like leafnode is a
    > workaround.
    >
    > Filtering: http://improve-usenet.org/filters_ex2.html
    >
    > Add-Ons: http://blinkynet.net/comp/tbext.html

    I am running leafnode and reading the newsgroups with Knode. One Leafnode
    filter doesn't seem to work, but that is probably me. I have a cron job
    set up to run leafnode's fetchnews every 2 hours.

    Doug.

  12. Re: trying thunderbird to do newsgroups

    On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 09:14:19 -0800, Zoraster wrote:

    > Ok, giving this a try. what do others think of it
    > "Thunderbird" as a newsgroup reader?

    Thunderbird is an excellent email client. It sucks badly as a newsgroup
    reader.

  13. Re: trying thunderbird to do newsgroups

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> Zoraster wrote:
    >>> Ok, giving this a try. what do others think of it
    >>> "Thunderbird" as a newsgroup reader?

    >> It's doable if you add a lot of add-ons, but it's huge weakness is in
    >> its lack of filtering capabilities. A local server like leafnode is a
    >> workaround.
    >>
    >> Filtering: http://improve-usenet.org/filters_ex2.html
    >>
    >> Add-Ons: http://blinkynet.net/comp/tbext.html
    >>

    > I am running leafnode and reading the newsgroups with Knode. One Leafnode
    > filter doesn't seem to work, but that is probably me. I have a cron job
    > set up to run leafnode's fetchnews every 2 hours.

    Consider taking that broken filter to news.sofware.readers, Doug. See
    you there, I hope. As for me, I only use leafnode (and Hamster
    Playground on my Win laptop) for one thing -- filtering Google Gropers
    for the brain-dead Thunderbird, which despite it's brain-deadness I do
    like to use for the mozilla.org server. So I have no real expertise in
    its use: one filter, for one client, with one server.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  14. Re: trying thunderbird to do newsgroups

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 09:14:19 -0800, Zoraster wrote:
    >
    >> Ok, giving this a try. what do others think of it
    >> "Thunderbird" as a newsgroup reader?

    > Thunderbird is an excellent email client. It sucks badly as a newsgroup
    > reader.

    =============
    What's your problem using TB as a NG reader ?
    You have a choice in downloading message heads or the complete messages
    in 1 pass. What do you need more ?
    To me the only minor 'cosmetic' prob. is the American style of date
    display ,11-21-07 instead of the (IMHO) more logical and hierarchical
    21-11-07.
    I also prefer 24 hrs time notification instead of the rather dated am
    -pm. But when time permits I'll have a go at that ,because I have seen
    the international date and time notification in other Mozilla progs.

    Frank in northern Scotland

  15. Re: trying thunderbird to do newsgroups

    Zoraster wrote:
    > Ok, giving this a try. what do others think of it
    > "Thunderbird" as a newsgroup reader?

    I've used it and its Mozilla/Netscape predecessors for seven years, with
    both Windows and Linux. I like it better than anything else I've tried,
    but maybe that's because it's what I started with when I switched to a
    PC from my trusty Atari ST.

    TJ

  16. Re: trying thunderbird to do newsgroups

    Highland Ham wrote:
    > Dan C wrote:
    >> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 09:14:19 -0800, Zoraster wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ok, giving this a try. what do others think of it
    >>> "Thunderbird" as a newsgroup reader?

    >> Thunderbird is an excellent email client. It sucks badly as a newsgroup
    >> reader.

    >=============
    > What's your problem using TB as a NG reader ?

    For many, its lack of filtering power. Very, very limited number of
    headers that can be filtered on.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  17. Re: trying thunderbird to do newsgroups

    On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 12:22:20 +0000, Highland Ham wrote:

    >> Thunderbird is an excellent email client. It sucks badly as a newsgroup
    >> reader.

    > What's your problem using TB as a NG reader ?

    It is *extremely* weak at scoring/filtering. That may or may not be
    important to you, but to most serious Usenet users, it's important. Last
    time I bothered to look, TB's threading options were also quite limited.

    FWIW, I generally dislike any application that claims to do more than one
    task, such as an "internet suite". My experience has been that these apps
    usually do one (or all) of their tasks poorly as compared to a dedicated
    client made to do just one thing. YMMV.

  18. Re: trying thunderbird to do newsgroups

    Highland Ham wrote:
    > Dan C wrote:
    >> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 09:14:19 -0800, Zoraster wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ok, giving this a try. what do others think of it
    >>> "Thunderbird" as a newsgroup reader?

    >> Thunderbird is an excellent email client. It sucks badly as a newsgroup
    >> reader.

    > =============
    > What's your problem using TB as a NG reader ?
    > You have a choice in downloading message heads or the complete messages
    > in 1 pass. What do you need more ?
    > To me the only minor 'cosmetic' prob. is the American style of date
    > display ,11-21-07 instead of the (IMHO) more logical and hierarchical
    > 21-11-07.

    Not sure where the setting is but my Thunderbird has always displayed
    dates in the UK/Europe format (Day/Month/Year). You may want to have a
    look around the Preferences.

    Andy J.

  19. Re: trying thunderbird to do newsgroups

    Andy J. wrote:
    > Highland Ham wrote:
    >> Dan C wrote:

    >>> Thunderbird is an excellent email client. It sucks badly as a newsgroup
    >>> reader.

    >> =============
    >> What's your problem using TB as a NG reader ?
    >> You have a choice in downloading message heads or the complete messages
    >> in 1 pass. What do you need more ?
    >> To me the only minor 'cosmetic' prob. is the American style of date
    >> display ,11-21-07 instead of the (IMHO) more logical and hierarchical
    >> 21-11-07.

    > Not sure where the setting is but my Thunderbird has always displayed
    > dates in the UK/Europe format (Day/Month/Year). You may want to have a
    > look around the Preferences.

    Actually, this may be in the KDE or Gnome settings.
    KDE/KDE Control Center/Regional & Accessibility/Country-Region &
    Language/Time & Dates has this setting. locale likewise can set
    such things...

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  20. Re: trying thunderbird to do newsgroups

    >> What's your problem using TB as a NG reader ?
    >> You have a choice in downloading message heads or the complete messages
    >> in 1 pass. What do you need more ?
    >> To me the only minor 'cosmetic' prob. is the American style of date
    >> display ,11-21-07 instead of the (IMHO) more logical and hierarchical
    >> 21-11-07.

    > Not sure where the setting is but my Thunderbird has always displayed
    > dates in the UK/Europe format (Day/Month/Year). You may want to have a
    > look around the Preferences.

    Had a look at Edit ---> Preferences ,nothing about date/time format settings

    Frank

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast