A question about Gimp - Mandriva

This is a discussion on A question about Gimp - Mandriva ; I have just installed Mdv2008. The version of Gimp came with it appears to be rather old, 2.4.0-rc2. I looked for an upgrade but found none. At Gimp's site I found that 2.4.1 has already been released and compiled versions ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: A question about Gimp

  1. A question about Gimp

    I have just installed Mdv2008. The version of Gimp came with it appears to
    be rather old, 2.4.0-rc2. I looked for an upgrade but found none. At Gimp's
    site I found that 2.4.1 has already been released and compiled versions
    for Fedora, Ubuntu and Debian are already available. Why Mandriva does not
    have a release version of even 2.4.0 yet ?

    --
    jabali

  2. Re: A question about Gimp

    Jabali Pragya wrote:

    > I have just installed Mdv2008.


    Good.

    > The version of Gimp came with it
    > appears to be rather old, 2.4.0-rc2.


    Pardon? Which version do you want?

    > I looked for an upgrade but
    > found none.


    Mandriva has various "testing", "backport", and "cooker" repositories.
    Unless you know what you are doing (and you sound like you don't) I
    suggest that you do not use them.

    > At Gimp's
    > site I found that 2.4.1 has already been released


    How many days do you think there were between 2.4.0-rc2 and 2.4.1?

    If a security problem is found, Mandriva will issue an update.

    If there is some functionality still missing from gimp that you
    desperately want, then you should join the development team for
    gimp - assuming that you are competent.

    > and compiled
    > versions for Fedora, Ubuntu and Debian are already available. Why
    > Mandriva does not have a release version of even 2.4.0 yet ?


    Those distributions might have been frozen slightly later than
    Mandriva 8.0.

    If you really want to upgrade every package every week you are
    going to drive yourself crazy, and have a rather chaotic unstable
    system.


    --
    Peter D.
    Sig goes here...

  3. Re: A question about Gimp

    Jabali Pragya wrote:

    > I have just installed Mdv2008. The version of Gimp came with it appears to
    > be rather old, 2.4.0-rc2. I looked for an upgrade but found none. At
    > Gimp's
    > site I found that 2.4.1 has already been released and compiled versions
    > for Fedora, Ubuntu and Debian are already available. Why Mandriva does not
    > have a release version of even 2.4.0 yet ?
    >

    GIMP says what Mandriva has? Offer to make one, or stop complaining about
    what is free software anyway. People who do it out of the goodness of
    their hearts, like the answer men on this forum, or the compilers of
    contributed packages (which are CONTRIBUTED, not Mandriva products) don't
    appreciate being told that they aren't working hard enough. Remember what
    I said about Smart Questions? Plainly you didn't read it as I suggested.
    Your post is one of the things it tells you NEVER to do. Mandriva does not
    exist for the sole benefit of Jabali Pragya. I thought that my wife was
    the only one with that attitude to the world.

    BTW, try a search at http://rpm.pbone.net/ . You can often find packages
    there that aren't in the updates yet.

    Doug.

  4. Re: A question about Gimp

    Peter D. wrote:

    > If there is some functionality still missing from gimp that you
    > desperately want, then you should join the development team for
    > gimp - assuming that you are competent.
    >
    >> and compiled
    >> versions for Fedora, Ubuntu and Debian are already available. Why
    >> Mandriva does not have a release version of even 2.4.0 yet ?

    >
    > Those distributions might have been frozen slightly later than
    > Mandriva 8.0.


    Gimp 2.4.1 for debian is only in 'sid' at present.

    For those (only a few I would think) that don't know debian 'SID' is
    the unstable version and anything can happen :-(



    --
    Neil
    reverse ra and delete l
    Linux user 335851

  5. Re: A question about Gimp

    Neil Ellwood wrote:

    > Gimp 2.4.1 for debian is only in 'sid' at present.
    >
    > For those (only a few I would think) that don't know debian 'SID' is
    > the unstable version and anything can happen :-(



    Rather like our cooker. Where you can also find gimp 2.4.1

    --
    sid
    RLU 300284
    Mandriva 2008 X86_64
    2.6.23

  6. Re: A question about Gimp

    Thanks to everybody for the responses. May I point out a few things.

    Unlike Debian & Ubuntu which are organisations made up of developers who use
    their own time and effort to bring together a distro and then distribute it
    freely, Mandriva is a commercial organisation which sells it products.

    I am not a freeloader. I purchased boxed edition of every version of
    Mandrake-Mandriva that I have ever used, starting with version 7.0 (not
    2007.0). I could not find a source for the boxed edition of 2008 that's why
    I downloaded the powerpack version after paying for it. This is the first
    time I used a downloaded ISO and showed my ignorance about what to do with
    it in another thread.

    As a paid customer shouldn't I expect Mandriva to keep to its advertised
    promise to keep the softwares updated ? Gimp 2.4.0 was released on 24th
    October - isn't 3 weeks long enough, specially to provide a upgrade from an
    unstable to a stable version ? rc versions are by definition not fully
    stable, at least its own developers do not believe so.

    I have not complained against the gimp developers who use their own time and
    effort to provide an excellent software. I admire them and I have made
    donations to several such organisations (mozilla, OOo, kde, gimp) whose
    software I regularly use. But for Mandriva I am only a paid customer. I
    expect their paid developers to do their job.

    Whether a question is smart or not is an individual opinion. Some people say
    that there are no stupid questions, only stupid replies.

    --
    jabali

  7. Re: A question about Gimp

    Jabali Pragya wrote:

    > Thanks to everybody for the responses. May I point out a few things.
    >
    > Unlike Debian & Ubuntu which are organisations made up of developers who
    > use their own time and effort to bring together a distro and then
    > distribute it freely, Mandriva is a commercial organisation which sells it
    > products.
    >
    > I am not a freeloader. I purchased boxed edition of every version of
    > Mandrake-Mandriva that I have ever used, starting with version 7.0 (not
    > 2007.0). I could not find a source for the boxed edition of 2008 that's
    > why I downloaded the powerpack version after paying for it. This is the
    > first time I used a downloaded ISO and showed my ignorance about what to
    > do with it in another thread.
    >
    > As a paid customer shouldn't I expect Mandriva to keep to its advertised
    > promise to keep the softwares updated ? Gimp 2.4.0 was released on 24th
    > October - isn't 3 weeks long enough, specially to provide a upgrade from
    > an unstable to a stable version ? rc versions are by definition not fully
    > stable, at least its own developers do not believe so.
    >
    > I have not complained against the gimp developers who use their own time
    > and effort to provide an excellent software. I admire them and I have made
    > donations to several such organisations (mozilla, OOo, kde, gimp) whose
    > software I regularly use. But for Mandriva I am only a paid customer. I
    > expect their paid developers to do their job.


    You aren't a freeloader? Download the source and compile it yourself, then
    (I guess) offer the RPM to whatever repository will take it. As you're not
    a freeloader, you'll be contributing to the community.

    > Whether a question is smart or not is an individual opinion. Some people
    > say that there are no stupid questions, only stupid replies.


    .... I guess that's a stupid reply then.

    --
    Weblog - http://inbothworlds.wordpress.com/
    R.L.U. #300033 - MDV 2006 - KDE 3.4

  8. Re: A question about Gimp

    Jabali Pragya writes:

    > Thanks to everybody for the responses. May I point out a few things.
    >
    > Unlike Debian & Ubuntu which are organisations made up of developers who use
    > their own time and effort to bring together a distro and then distribute it
    > freely, Mandriva is a commercial organisation which sells it products.
    >
    > I am not a freeloader. I purchased boxed edition of every version of
    > Mandrake-Mandriva that I have ever used, starting with version 7.0 (not
    > 2007.0). I could not find a source for the boxed edition of 2008 that's why
    > I downloaded the powerpack version after paying for it. This is the first
    > time I used a downloaded ISO and showed my ignorance about what to do with
    > it in another thread.
    >
    > As a paid customer shouldn't I expect Mandriva to keep to its advertised
    > promise to keep the softwares updated ?


    Where is that promise? I think you need to read it again.

    > Gimp 2.4.0 was released on 24th
    > October - isn't 3 weeks long enough, specially to provide a upgrade from an
    > unstable to a stable version ? rc versions are by definition not fully
    > stable, at least its own developers do not believe so.


    Are you nuts?
    3 weeks? You expect Mandriva to build and test the thousands
    of packages in their distro and make every new release available in 3 weeks?

    When Mandriva decided to ship rc2 it was because they tested it and
    found it stable.

    If you file a bug report against Gimp, you might see an update.
    Did you file a bug report?

    > I have not complained against the gimp developers who use their own time and
    > effort to provide an excellent software. I admire them and I have made
    > donations to several such organisations (mozilla, OOo, kde, gimp) whose
    > software I regularly use. But for Mandriva I am only a paid customer. I
    > expect their paid developers to do their job.


    You have a funny idea of their job.
    If you think something is wrong with the version of gimp installed
    in Mandriva 2008, file a bug report.
    Otherwise I wouldn't expect a new version.

    > Whether a question is smart or not is an individual opinion. Some people say
    > that there are no stupid questions, only stupid replies.


    Some might say that, but they are wrong.
    There are both stupid questions and stupid answers.
    Use your head.

    You are way off base on Mandriva.
    It's an excellent company.
    And you can just as easily get a free version of Mandriva
    as you can of Ubuntu.

    Examine the differences between the powerpack and the free
    version.

  9. Re: A question about Gimp

    Jabali Pragya wrote:

    >
    > As a paid customer shouldn't I expect Mandriva to keep to its
    > advertised promise to keep the softwares updated ? Gimp 2.4.0 was
    > released on 24th October - isn't 3 weeks long enough, specially to
    > provide a upgrade from an unstable to a stable version ? rc versions
    > are by definition not fully stable, at least its own developers do
    > not believe so.

    Give them time. They might have it in cooker but that can have
    drawbacks. Debian has only just put it into testing this week, I got
    it yesterday.
    >
    > I have not complained against the gimp developers who use their own
    > time and effort to provide an excellent software. I admire them and
    > I have made donations to several such organisations (mozilla, OOo,
    > kde, gimp) whose software I regularly use. But for Mandriva I am
    > only a paid customer. I expect their paid developers to do their
    > job.

    They are doing their job, keep the production environment as steady as
    possible and put new items into places like 'cooker'.




    --
    Neil
    reverse ra and delete l
    Linux user 335851

  10. Re: A question about Gimp

    Neil Ellwood wrote:

    > Jabali Pragya wrote:


    > Give them time. They might have it in cooker but that can have
    > drawbacks. Debian has only just put it into testing this week, I got
    > it yesterday.


    Funnily enough you can now find it in ......./debug_main/backports now on
    the 2008 official mirrors.

    --
    sid
    RLU 300284
    Mandriva 2008 X86_64
    2.6.23

  11. Re: A question about Gimp

    Doug Laidlaw writes:

    >Jabali Pragya wrote:


    >> I have just installed Mdv2008. The version of Gimp came with it appears to
    >> be rather old, 2.4.0-rc2. I looked for an upgrade but found none. At
    >> Gimp's
    >> site I found that 2.4.1 has already been released and compiled versions
    >> for Fedora, Ubuntu and Debian are already available. Why Mandriva does not
    >> have a release version of even 2.4.0 yet ?


    because they froze 2008 about 5 months ago so that they could test things
    before releasing them.

    Note that cooker has gimp-2.4.2-1mdv2008.1.i586.rpm
    Go get it off cooker and try installing it. It may work, it may require
    more up to date libraries etc.


  12. Re: A question about Gimp

    Neil Ellwood writes:

    >Jabali Pragya wrote:


    >>
    >> As a paid customer shouldn't I expect Mandriva to keep to its
    >> advertised promise to keep the softwares updated ? Gimp 2.4.0 was
    >> released on 24th October - isn't 3 weeks long enough, specially to
    >> provide a upgrade from an unstable to a stable version ? rc versions


    No it certainly is not. They have about 10000 packages in a distro. 3 weeks
    means each gets about 2 minutes of testing That is hardly enough time to
    even compile it.
    Mandriva has never anywhere promised to keep the software updatted. It
    promoses to fix security bugs if they are found.

    >> are by definition not fully stable, at least its own developers do
    >> not believe so.

    >Give them time. They might have it in cooker but that can have
    >drawbacks. Debian has only just put it into testing this week, I got
    >it yesterday.
    >>
    >> I have not complained against the gimp developers who use their own
    >> time and effort to provide an excellent software. I admire them and
    >> I have made donations to several such organisations (mozilla, OOo,
    >> kde, gimp) whose software I regularly use. But for Mandriva I am
    >> only a paid customer. I expect their paid developers to do their
    >> job.

    >They are doing their job, keep the production environment as steady as
    >possible and put new items into places like 'cooker'.





    >--
    >Neil
    >reverse ra and delete l
    >Linux user 335851


  13. Re: A question about Gimp

    Unruh wrote:

    > No it certainly is not. They have about 10000 packages in a distro. 3
    > weeks means each gets about 2 minutes of testing That is hardly enough
    > time to even compile it.


    I'm sure "Jabali" will be pleased to know that 2.4.0 was full of bugs (yes,
    I know... surprise surprise), and is already at version 2.4.2 (as of
    yesterday).

    --
    Weblog - http://inbothworlds.wordpress.com/
    R.L.U. #300033 - MDV 2006 - KDE 3.4

+ Reply to Thread