sound problem on notebook Acer TravelMate 220 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on sound problem on notebook Acer TravelMate 220 - Mandriva ; Hello, I installed Mandriva 2008.0 a few days ago. Meanwhile i come to like it more and more. But one problem bugged me from the beginning. Any try to improve it made it only worse. After installation (and when starting ...

  1. sound problem on notebook Acer TravelMate 220

    Hello,

    I installed Mandriva 2008.0 a few days ago. Meanwhile i come to like it
    more and more. But one problem bugged me from the beginning. Any try to
    improve it made it only worse.

    After installation (and when starting from the live CD too) sound worked
    only after launching KMix and switching either "master out" or "PCM" off
    and on again. But then it worked.

    I could not find a way to get sound from boottime on.

    So I started twiddling around with other parts of the system. Somewhere
    in there I must have destroyed the sound system completely. Now there is
    a message after KDE has launched saying:
    Error while initializing the sound driver:
    device: default can't be opened for playback (No such device)

    The mixer does not start at all or show up in the system area.

    In KDE Control Center I selected "ALSA" as from the beginning. Whenever
    I try to change any settings here I get the same message as above.

    In Mandriva Control Center under Hardware / browse hardware a
    "82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Controller" ist listed, so the hardware appears
    to be detected fine.

    Did I possibly remove a software package that is required? I removed a
    few packages that I assumed are not needed. Then I tried to switch to
    the ...-laptop-... kernel. Meanwhile I'm back to the desktop586-kernel.

    uname -a tells:
    Linux localhost 2.6.22.9-desktop586-1mdv #1 SMP Thu Sep 27 03:58:17 CEST
    2007 i686 Mobile Intel(R) Celeron(TM) CPU 1333MHz GNU/Linux

    lspci lists:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82830 830 Chipset Host Bridge
    (rev 04)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82830 CGC [Chipset
    Graphics Controller] (rev 04)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82830 CGC [Chipset
    Graphics Controller]
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM USB Controller #1
    (rev 02)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM USB Controller #2
    (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 42)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801CAM ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 02)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801CAM IDE U100 Controller
    (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM SMBus Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM AC'97
    Audio Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 02)
    01:05.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
    RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
    01:09.0 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ601/6912/711E0
    CardBus/SmartCardBus Controller

    What can I do to get some sound back?
    What information should I provide?
    Where to look?

    Thanks in advance!

    Matthias

  2. Re: sound problem on notebook Acer TravelMate 220

    On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 14:52:17 -0500, Matthias Sommer wrote:

    > After installation (and when starting from the live CD too) sound worked
    > only after launching KMix and switching either "master out" or "PCM" off
    > and on again. But then it worked.

    I got around a similar problem by adding two lines to /etc/rc.d/rc.local ...
    alsactl restore &
    service alsa restart

    > So I started twiddling around with other parts of the system. Somewhere
    > in there I must have destroyed the sound system completely. Now there is
    > a message after KDE has launched saying:

    > In Mandriva Control Center under Hardware / browse hardware a
    > "82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Controller" ist listed, so the hardware appears
    > to be detected fine.

    > 00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM AC'97
    > Audio Controller (rev 02)

    What are the contents of your /etc/modprobe.conf ?

    I would expect something like
    alias sound-slot-0 snd-ac97-codec
    remove snd-ac97-codec /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-ac97-codec
    install snd-ac97-codec /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-ac97-codec

    This is a guess, as I have a different sound card.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: sound problem on notebook Acer TravelMate 220

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 14:52:17 -0500, Matthias Sommer wrote:
    >
    >> After installation (and when starting from the live CD too) sound worked
    >> only after launching KMix and switching either "master out" or "PCM" off
    >> and on again. But then it worked.

    > I got around a similar problem by adding two lines to /etc/rc.d/rc.local ...
    > alsactl restore &
    > service alsa restart
    >
    >> So I started twiddling around with other parts of the system. Somewhere
    >> in there I must have destroyed the sound system completely. Now there is
    >> a message after KDE has launched saying:

    >> In Mandriva Control Center under Hardware / browse hardware a
    >> "82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Controller" ist listed, so the hardware appears
    >> to be detected fine.

    >> 00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM AC'97
    >> Audio Controller (rev 02)

    > What are the contents of your /etc/modprobe.conf ?
    >
    > I would expect something like
    > alias sound-slot-0 snd-ac97-codec
    > remove snd-ac97-codec /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-ac97-codec
    > install snd-ac97-codec /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-ac97-codec
    >
    > This is a guess, as I have a different sound card.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    I have a nVidia card with the ‎MCP51 AC97 Audio Controller
    The module installed by 2001.1 by default is snd-intel8x0
    Alternatives are ‎ali5455, i810_audio, nvaudio

    Lines from the /etc/modprobe.conf are,
    remove snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe
    --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0$
    install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install
    snd-intel8x0 && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }$

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  4. Re: sound problem on notebook Acer TravelMate 220

    Hello,

    sorry for not reporting back after my initial question. Meanwhile I got
    another problem, the system got stuck in boot process from time to time.

    So I got bored and did a complete reinstall. This system got crashed
    yesterday evening when I removed some packeges to free some diskspace. I
    assume I removed at least one package to much... so I just reinstalled
    again.

    Now I have a running system, at least at the moment.
    I'm waiting in what trouble I stumble next

    Regards
    Matthias

  5. Re: sound problem on notebook Acer TravelMate 220

    Matthias Sommer wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > sorry for not reporting back after my initial question. Meanwhile I got
    > another problem, the system got stuck in boot process from time to time.
    >
    > So I got bored and did a complete reinstall. This system got crashed
    > yesterday evening when I removed some packeges to free some diskspace. I
    > assume I removed at least one package to much... so I just reinstalled
    > again.
    >
    > Now I have a running system, at least at the moment.
    > I'm waiting in what trouble I stumble next

    Good luck with your adventuring!

    And bear in mind that disk space is getting cheaper and cheaper...
    I have started listening to music while at the computer now and
    then, and making CDs to listen to during my commute to work. A
    few weeks ago I had to move the music collection from a 40GB
    partition to an 80GB partition, and it is possible I may need
    yet more space for music in the future. GOK what the requirement
    will be if I ever start watching movies...

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  6. Re: sound problem on notebook Acer TravelMate 220

    > Good luck with your adventuring!

    Thanks

    > And bear in mind that disk space is getting cheaper and cheaper...

    sure, but ATM I'm venturing into the Linux World at my old notebook. I
    dont plan to upgrade this one any more. I would upgrade RAM, it has only
    384 MB but this is already the max for that box :-/

    If Linux works good for me at some point, I will put it to my big box
    too, where disk space isnt that much a point.

    Regards
    Matthias

  7. Re: sound problem on notebook Acer TravelMate 220

    On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 19:25:09 +0100, Matthias Sommer wrote:

    >> Good luck with your adventuring!

    > Thanks
    >
    >> And bear in mind that disk space is getting cheaper and cheaper...

    > sure, but ATM I'm venturing into the Linux World at my old notebook. I
    > dont plan to upgrade this one any more. I would upgrade RAM, it has only
    > 384 MB but this is already the max for that box :-/

    384 is lots of ram for running X despite what the kids say about
    computers not being usable with less than a gig...maybe try xfce as your
    window manager...kde won't exactly be unusable but memory pigs like
    OpenOffice and the Gimp will slow things down a bit

    > If Linux works good for me at some point,

    huh? there is a question about this?

  8. Re: sound problem on notebook Acer TravelMate 220

    Hello,

    >> If Linux works good for me at some point,

    > huh? there is a question about this?

    Yes, there is a question, but not so much on the linux side but on my
    side... this is getting used to it and not crushing it over and over
    again.

    In other words: I'm sure that linux works, but I'm not sure if it works
    for me (yet).

    Regards
    Matthias

+ Reply to Thread