Burning files to a DVD. - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Burning files to a DVD. - Mandriva ; Jabali Pragya's question (for his benefit, the difference between copying and burning an ISO is often not understood) reminded me of a related but rather different problem I had a while back. I wanted to burn a collection of files ...

  1. Burning files to a DVD.

    Jabali Pragya's question (for his benefit, the difference between copying
    and burning an ISO is often not understood) reminded me of a related but
    rather different problem I had a while back.

    I wanted to burn a collection of files to a CD for safe keeping, but the
    total exceeded the capacity of a CD, so I used a DVD. K3B recognized the
    DVD, but steadfastly told me that my job was too big because it exceeded
    the capacity of a CD. In the end I gave up, moved the files across to my
    WinXP partition, and used my Nero OEM, which did it with no worries. Now
    that Nero has a paid version for Linux, perhaps one day we will see a Linux
    driver on the OEM CD?

    My approach to Windows is: if it does the job better, by all means use it.
    This is from memory the only recent burning job where Linux wasn't up to
    the task. Of course, the early days were a bit different.

    Doug.
    Registered Linux User.

  2. Re: Burning files to a DVD.

    Doug Laidlaw writes:

    >Jabali Pragya's question (for his benefit, the difference between copying
    >and burning an ISO is often not understood) reminded me of a related but
    >rather different problem I had a while back.

    >I wanted to burn a collection of files to a CD for safe keeping, but the
    >total exceeded the capacity of a CD, so I used a DVD. K3B recognized the
    >DVD, but steadfastly told me that my job was too big because it exceeded

    No problem. You probably set up a CD project and then just stuck a DVD into
    the drive and expected the program to know that was what you had done. You
    need to open a dvd project.

    >the capacity of a CD. In the end I gave up, moved the files across to my
    >WinXP partition, and used my Nero OEM, which did it with no worries. Now
    >that Nero has a paid version for Linux, perhaps one day we will see a Linux
    >driver on the OEM CD?

    No need. K3B works fine.

    >My approach to Windows is: if it does the job better, by all means use it.
    >This is from memory the only recent burning job where Linux wasn't up to
    >the task. Of course, the early days were a bit different.

    Sure.

    >Doug.
    >Registered Linux User.

  3. Re: Burning files to a DVD.

    Em Domingo, 18 de Novembro de 2007 03:43, Doug Laidlaw escreveu:

    > Jabali Pragya's question (for his benefit, the difference between copying
    > and burning an ISO is often not understood) reminded me of a related but
    > rather different problem I had a while back.
    >
    > I wanted to burn a collection of files to a CD for safe keeping, but the
    > total exceeded the capacity of a CD, so I used a DVD. K3B recognized the
    > DVD, but steadfastly told me that my job was too big because it exceeded
    > the capacity of a CD. In the end I gave up, moved the files across to my
    > WinXP partition, and used my Nero OEM,

    That's what i allways said about nero:
    people that use it (nero), don't know anything about burning cds or dvds.

    if only you ask yourself "what am i doing wrong?"...

    > which did it with no worries. Now
    > that Nero has a paid version for Linux, perhaps one day we will see a
    > Linux driver on the OEM CD?

    k3b beats nero... except in preparation of dvd-video, for that use devede.

    regards

  4. Re: Burning files to a DVD.

    On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 14:43:52 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Now
    > that Nero has a paid version for Linux, perhaps one day we will see a Linux
    > driver on the OEM CD?

    I bought a DVD burner over 2 years back that came with a free OEM version
    of Nero for Linux....

  5. Re: Burning files to a DVD.

    On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 07:35:41 +0000, Unruh wrote:

    >>I wanted to burn a collection of files to a CD for safe keeping, but
    >> the
    >>total exceeded the capacity of a CD, so I used a DVD. K3B recognized the
    >>DVD, but steadfastly told me that my job was too big because it exceeded

    > No problem. You probably set up a CD project and then just stuck a DVD
    > into the drive and expected the program to know that was what you had
    > done. You need to open a dvd project.

    I have about 25GB of archived applications burned to DVD, all using K3B.
    There were some problems about 3 years ago, IIRC, that required a newer
    supporting lib than was being packaged. But current k3b and supporting
    libs all work fine. In fact I have two burners a CD and a DVD/CD burner.
    That doesn't confuse K3B at all.

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  6. Re: Burning files to a DVD.

    ArameFarpado wrote:

    > Em Domingo, 18 de Novembro de 2007 03:43, Doug Laidlaw escreveu:
    >
    >> Jabali Pragya's question (for his benefit, the difference between copying
    >> and burning an ISO is often not understood) reminded me of a related but
    >> rather different problem I had a while back.
    >>
    >> I wanted to burn a collection of files to a CD for safe keeping, but the
    >> total exceeded the capacity of a CD, so I used a DVD. K3B recognized the
    >> DVD, but steadfastly told me that my job was too big because it exceeded
    >> the capacity of a CD. In the end I gave up, moved the files across to my
    >> WinXP partition, and used my Nero OEM,

    > That's what i allways said about nero:
    > people that use it (nero), don't know anything about burning cds or dvds.
    >
    > if only you ask yourself "what am i doing wrong?"...
    >

    >> which did it with no worries. Now
    >> that Nero has a paid version for Linux, perhaps one day we will see a
    >> Linux driver on the OEM CD?

    > k3b beats nero... except in preparation of dvd-video, for that use devede.
    >
    > regards

    I don't burn dvd-video. I can use k3b for anything else. This was
    an "archive copy" if you like, so long as that does not imply reducing the
    file size by zipping or gzipping. As for what am I doing wrong, IMO what I
    did wrong was use a GUI app. One cannot argue with a status bar. It
    sounds as though you have an idea and want me to work it out for myself.
    That is O.K. by me - it is the best way to learn - but I need a hint.

    K3b had a bad reputation one or two years ago for burning "coasters" and I
    burned my share. Now a failure is rare. K3b claims to be simply a GUI for
    cdrecord and its fellows. Whichever has improved, it now works. My
    present system was installed from a DVD downloaded from Mandriva and burned
    with K3b. If I had wanted to use Nero, I would have needed to burn the ISO
    to a DVD as a copy first. No other way is practical, as Jabali Pragya
    could see.

    Incidentally, I have installed on my Windows system a package that can read
    ext2. It is fine for copying the odd file across, but I tried to run a 485
    MB game installer directly from its place on Ext3. I had to do a full and
    lengthy fsck of the Linux partition afterwards, although I didn't have to
    format it and I didn't lose anything.

    Doug.

  7. Re: Burning files to a DVD.

    Mark South wrote:

    > On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 14:43:52 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >
    >> Now
    >> that Nero has a paid version for Linux, perhaps one day we will see a
    >> Linux driver on the OEM CD?

    > I bought a DVD burner over 2 years back that came with a free OEM version
    > of Nero for Linux....

    Interesting. My computer is younger than that. I must peruse the
    installation CD. But the commercial version of Nero for Linux was released
    only within the last 12 months or so ...

    Doug.

  8. Re: Burning files to a DVD.

    Em Domingo, 18 de Novembro de 2007 20:58, Doug Laidlaw escreveu:

    >. As for what am I doing wrong, IMO what
    > did wrong was use a GUI app.

    no, what you did was select "cd-data" instead of "dvd-data" when you start
    the project.

    > One cannot argue with a status bar. It
    > sounds as though you have an idea and want me to work it out for myself.
    > That is O.K. by me - it is the best way to learn - but I need a hint.
    >
    > K3b had a bad reputation one or two years ago for burning "coasters" and I
    > burned my share. Now a failure is rare. K3b claims to be simply a GUI
    > for
    > cdrecord and its fellows.

    cdrecord have been replaced by wodim.

    i've been using k3b for 4 years now (since mandrake 9.1) and never had any
    trouble with k3b... it allways had look a lot to me like adaptec (now
    roxio) easy cd creator, that was my favorite cd-burner in my windows
    time...
    nero is goog only for people who thinks that computers are smarter than
    them.

    regards

  9. Re: Burning files to a DVD.

    On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 07:58:18 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Incidentally, I have installed on my Windows system a package that can
    > read ext2. It is fine for copying the odd file across, but I tried to

    explorfs or something like that? I have that app and only use it to
    copy an ext2 file to FAT32. Just doing that I've never had a problem.

    It's good for copying my bookmarks into doze.

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  10. Re: Burning files to a DVD.

    > explorfs or something like that? I have that app and only use it to
    > copy an ext2 file to FAT32. Just doing that I've never had a problem.
    >
    > It's good for copying my bookmarks into doze.

    =======================
    Ron , I have tried to urpmi both explorfs as well as explorefs
    but package is reported as unknown by my selected repository.

    Correct name ?

    TIA

    Frank

  11. Re: Burning files to a DVD.

    explore2fs from http://www.chrysocome.net/explore2fs ????

    --
    jw_karori
    Nelson, New Zealand

  12. Re: Burning files to a DVD.

    In article <4740bcd9$0$90270$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>,
    ArameFarpado wrote:
    >Em Domingo, 18 de Novembro de 2007 20:58, Doug Laidlaw escreveu:
    >
    >>. As for what am I doing wrong, IMO what
    >> did wrong was use a GUI app.

    >no, what you did was select "cd-data" instead of "dvd-data" when you start
    >the project.
    >

    >> One cannot argue with a status bar. It
    >> sounds as though you have an idea and want me to work it out for myself.
    >> That is O.K. by me - it is the best way to learn - but I need a hint.
    >>
    >> K3b had a bad reputation one or two years ago for burning "coasters" and I
    >> burned my share. Now a failure is rare. K3b claims to be simply a GUI
    >> for
    >> cdrecord and its fellows.

    >cdrecord have been replaced by wodim.

    While some Linux distributions did this, it is a really bad decision as it
    replaces free working and maintained software by a dead end with many bugs.

    If you like to avoid the bugs from wodim and other programs from the same source
    get a recent original from

    ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

    and install it. Make sure to remove "wodim" and similar and install a symlink
    to cdrecord ad many other programs may also have been bastardized.

    See http://cdrecord.berlios.de/new/private/linux-dist.html

    for more information.

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  13. Re: Burning files to a DVD.

    On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 23:20:15 +0000, Highland Ham wrote:

    >> It's good for copying my bookmarks into doze.

    > Ron , I have tried to urpmi both explorfs as well as explorefs but
    > package is reported as unknown by my selected repository.

    Oh it's a doze program for when you are trapped there some reason and
    want to grab a file that's on a ext2(3) file system. I dunno if it works
    with the other fie systems or if it works on all windoze platforms, but
    it works fine for me using W2K.

    Here's the skinny from a readme...

    explore2fs, the Linux file system utility for Windows NT
    Copyright (C) 2000 John Newbigin

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  14. Re: Burning files to a DVD.

    On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:00:14 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > Mark South wrote:

    >> On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 14:43:52 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >>
    >>> Now
    >>> that Nero has a paid version for Linux, perhaps one day we will see a
    >>> Linux driver on the OEM CD?

    >> I bought a DVD burner over 2 years back that came with a free OEM version
    >> of Nero for Linux....

    > Interesting. My computer is younger than that. I must peruse the
    > installation CD. But the commercial version of Nero for Linux was released
    > only within the last 12 months or so ...

    > Doug.

    I haven't used kb3 (or even had friggin'KDE installed) since I had
    Mandrake 8.2, so I can't say much about it. Back then kb3 left a lot to
    be desired but I'm sure it's fine now. I've played with newer versions
    just a bit on other's boxes, but not really used it.

    Basically I don't like GUIs, much more of a text-app kinda guy (slrn,
    mutt, MC, etc) and I used to do all my burning that way. But I've long
    used Nero in Windoze and when NeroLinux v1.0 beta was released early in
    2005 I couldn't resist trying it. Like a early version kb3 it left a
    lot to be desired, but it worked and was at least a start. It was nice
    just to see LInux stir up a little commercial support, that someone
    thought there was a market for it.

    Since NeroLinux v3.0 was introduced in July, I've found myself using it
    most of the time and it's been really pretty good. I've probably burnt
    at least a couple hundred disks of all types, mostly on this old
    Mandrake 10.1 box with a HP DVD burner, but also with several different
    burners on various boxes and not a coaster yet that wasn't my own damn
    fault. Gives me a consistent UI from Win/Linux and I like giving some
    support to companies trying to be Linux-friendly.

    I know kb3 is supposed to be the bomb for Linux but far as I've seen
    they're both roughly similar GUI apps and so as far as I'm concerned
    they both suck in similar ways. And I can't think of any burning option
    I'd ever use that's not in NeroLinux now. It's been rock-solid for me.

    I don't get the comment about if you use Nero to burn an install disc
    you'd have to burn it as a copy first, then an ISO??? I burn bootable
    discs all the time....

    --
    Registered Linux user #266531

  15. Re: Burning files to a DVD.

    On 2007-11-22, Crashdamage <03z1krd7@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    > On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:00:14 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >> Mark South wrote:

    >>> I bought a DVD burner over 2 years back that came with a free OEM version
    >>> of Nero for Linux....

    >> Interesting. My computer is younger than that. I must peruse the
    >> installation CD. But the commercial version of Nero for Linux was released
    >> only within the last 12 months or so ...

    >> Doug.

    > I haven't used kb3 (or even had friggin'KDE installed) since I had
    > Mandrake 8.2, so I can't say much about it. Back then kb3 left a lot to
    > be desired but I'm sure it's fine now. I've played with newer versions
    > just a bit on other's boxes, but not really used it.

    k3b has matured a lot in the last couple of years. It's a very good app.

    > Basically I don't like GUIs, much more of a text-app kinda guy (slrn,
    > mutt, MC, etc) and I used to do all my burning that way.

    I can mkisofs with the best of them but there is something about
    building a project which seems much easier with a gui. Also far too many
    Linux apps have inconsistent command line switches. Some have optional
    ars but the main argument must be at the end, others use upper case
    switches where their related apps use lower case. No one fixed anything
    to avoid breaking scripts (ssh -p / scp -P ) Then you get things like
    transcode and mencoder whose power necessitates a lot of switches, which
    I dont care to commit to memory or spend 5 minutes skimming man pages.

    Still the command line is great for bulk file moves, renames , and
    knocking out scripts to do various things. But for things like
    dvdauthor I'm a sucker for a GUI.

    Lordy

  16. Re: Burning files to a DVD.

    On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 19:06:32 +0000 (UTC), lordy
    wrote:
    > On 2007-11-22, Crashdamage <03z1krd7@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:00:14 +1100, Doug Laidlaw
    >> wrote:

    >>> Interesting. My computer is younger than that. I must peruse the
    >>> installation CD. But the commercial version of Nero for Linux was released
    >>> only within the last 12 months or so ...

    >>> Doug.

    >> I haven't used kb3 (or even had friggin'KDE installed) since I had
    >> Mandrake 8.2, so I can't say much about it. Back then kb3 left a lot to
    >> be desired but I'm sure it's fine now. I've played with newer versions
    >> just a bit on other's boxes, but not really used it.

    > k3b has matured a lot in the last couple of years. It's a very good app.

    >> Basically I don't like GUIs, much more of a text-app kinda guy (slrn,
    >> mutt, MC, etc) and I used to do all my burning that way.

    > I can mkisofs with the best of them but there is something about
    > building a project which seems much easier with a gui. Also far too many
    > Linux apps have inconsistent command line switches. Some have optional
    > ars but the main argument must be at the end, others use upper case
    > switches where their related apps use lower case. No one fixed anything
    > to avoid breaking scripts (ssh -p / scp -P ) Then you get things like
    > transcode and mencoder whose power necessitates a lot of switches, which
    > I dont care to commit to memory or spend 5 minutes skimming man pages.

    > Still the command line is great for bulk file moves, renames , and
    > knocking out scripts to do various things. But for things like
    > dvdauthor I'm a sucker for a GUI.

    > Lordy

    You pretty well summed up why I've found myself using Nero since it got
    to be reasonably good with v3.0. One of the main reasons I moved to
    Linux from Windows was to find a better way to work, and I did. But
    GUIs do have their place.

    --
    Registered Linux user #266531

+ Reply to Thread