Setting up Kppp for second Dial-in account. - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Setting up Kppp for second Dial-in account. - Mandriva ; MandrivaLinux 2007.0 (Yes, I know it's old) My ISP is switching from a local 'phone number to a national 'phone number. Apparently most of his subscribers have managed the change with ease, but weather it's because I'm the only one ...

  1. Setting up Kppp for second Dial-in account.

    MandrivaLinux 2007.0 (Yes, I know it's old)

    My ISP is switching from a local 'phone number to a national 'phone
    number. Apparently most of his subscribers have managed the change with
    ease, but weather it's because I'm the only one on Linux (I don't think
    so) or it's something I've stuffed up/not done, I cannot get it to work.

    On the local number, I see the various handshaking commands occurring,
    and, about 20-30 secs after pppd starts, I'm up and running.

    When I select the national number, the handshaking occurs, pppd starts
    and I see a line along the lines of "User: user: login" and I wait and I
    wait.... and eventually my end closes the connection.

    Can anyone here make suggestions as to what I should try to solve my
    problem before the ISP cuts off the local call access totally??

    TIA

    Daniel

  2. Re: Setting up Kppp for second Dial-in account.

    Daniel wrote:
    > MandrivaLinux 2007.0 (Yes, I know it's old)
    >
    > My ISP is switching from a local 'phone number to a national 'phone
    > number. Apparently most of his subscribers have managed the change with
    > ease, but weather it's because I'm the only one on Linux (I don't think
    > so) or it's something I've stuffed up/not done, I cannot get it to work.
    >
    > On the local number, I see the various handshaking commands occurring,
    > and, about 20-30 secs after pppd starts, I'm up and running.
    >
    > When I select the national number, the handshaking occurs, pppd starts
    > and I see a line along the lines of "User: user: login" and I wait and I
    > wait.... and eventually my end closes the connection.
    >
    > Can anyone here make suggestions as to what I should try to solve my
    > problem before the ISP cuts off the local call access totally??
    >
    > TIA

    Have you tried calling the number with the phone?

    Is the number in the right format, maybe create a new profile, correct
    user name and password?

    You could call your ISP and ask if they can tell you what they see.

    I believe I have seen kppp logs before that seemed to show how it's
    connecting.

  3. Re: Setting up Kppp for second Dial-in account.

    llanalott@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Daniel wrote:
    >> MandrivaLinux 2007.0 (Yes, I know it's old)
    >>
    >> My ISP is switching from a local 'phone number to a national 'phone
    >> number. Apparently most of his subscribers have managed the change with
    >> ease, but weather it's because I'm the only one on Linux (I don't think
    >> so) or it's something I've stuffed up/not done, I cannot get it to work.
    >>
    >> On the local number, I see the various handshaking commands occurring,
    >> and, about 20-30 secs after pppd starts, I'm up and running.
    >>
    >> When I select the national number, the handshaking occurs, pppd starts
    >> and I see a line along the lines of "User: user: login" and I wait and I
    >> wait.... and eventually my end closes the connection.
    >>
    >> Can anyone here make suggestions as to what I should try to solve my
    >> problem before the ISP cuts off the local call access totally??
    >>
    >> TIA

    > Have you tried calling the number with the phone?
    >
    > Is the number in the right format, maybe create a new profile, correct
    > user name and password?
    >
    > You could call your ISP and ask if they can tell you what they see.
    >
    > I believe I have seen kppp logs before that seemed to show how it's
    > connecting.

    My ISP has set my computer up, using an Ethernet card and a webramp, to
    dial into the national number, no problems. Still cannot get in using kppp.

    Daniel

+ Reply to Thread