Copying 2008iso to DVD disk - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Copying 2008iso to DVD disk - Mandriva ; I have just downloaded the 2008-powerpack iso. When I tried to copy it to a DVD disk (tried DVD-R & DVD-RW, both with 4.4 GB capacity) K3B is telling me that the file could not be copied as it exceeds ...

  1. Copying 2008iso to DVD disk

    I have just downloaded the 2008-powerpack iso. When I tried to copy it to
    a DVD disk (tried DVD-R & DVD-RW, both with 4.4 GB capacity) K3B is
    telling me that the file could not be copied as it exceeds 4.0GB. The iso
    is 4.3 GB. MD5 checksum matches, so the file is OK. The file is currently
    in my home directory (ext3).

    I have WinXP on the same machine & thought that I shall try Nero for
    copying. I have both NTFS disk with WinXP installed and a separate FAT32
    disk for storing data that I can access from both Linux & XP. Mandriva
    download site tells me that the file should not be put on a FAT32 disk and
    Mandriva-2007 (my current installation) refuses to write on NTFS
    partition.

    Nero of course does not see the Linux partitions at all.

    Could anybody please advise how to copy the ISO to a DVD disk.

    TIA

    --
    jabali

  2. Re: Copying 2008iso to DVD disk

    On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 22:03:17 GMT, Jabali Pragya wrote:

    > I have WinXP on the same machine & thought that I shall try Nero for
    > copying. I have both NTFS disk with WinXP installed and a separate FAT32
    > disk for storing data that I can access from both Linux & XP. Mandriva
    > download site tells me that the file should not be put on a FAT32 disk and
    > Mandriva-2007 (my current installation) refuses to write on NTFS
    > partition.

    http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/ext2ifs.htm
    http://www.chrysocome.net/explore2fs

  3. Re: Copying 2008iso to DVD disk

    Jabali Pragya wrote:

    > Could anybody please advise how to copy the ISO to a DVD disk.

    Assuming that you want to create a bootable DVD, then you don't want to copy
    the iso to the DVD. You should look for an option in your burning software
    to "burn as an image" or something like that.

    Jim

  4. Re: Copying 2008iso to DVD disk

    Jabali Pragya wrote:
    > I have just downloaded the 2008-powerpack iso. When I tried to copy it to
    > a DVD disk (tried DVD-R & DVD-RW, both with 4.4 GB capacity) K3B is
    > telling me that the file could not be copied as it exceeds 4.0GB. The iso
    > is 4.3 GB. MD5 checksum matches, so the file is OK. The file is currently
    > in my home directory (ext3).
    >
    > I have WinXP on the same machine & thought that I shall try Nero for
    > copying. I have both NTFS disk with WinXP installed and a separate FAT32
    > disk for storing data that I can access from both Linux & XP. Mandriva
    > download site tells me that the file should not be put on a FAT32 disk and
    > Mandriva-2007 (my current installation) refuses to write on NTFS
    > partition.
    >
    > Nero of course does not see the Linux partitions at all.
    >
    > Could anybody please advise how to copy the ISO to a DVD disk.
    >
    > TIA

    K3b
    Tools
    Burn DVD ISO Image

    Don,
    Keep smiling.

  5. Re: Copying 2008iso to DVD disk

    On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 22:03:17 +0000, Jabali Pragya wrote:

    Thanks everybody. Burnt the file as image. Now I have the task of
    installing it. This is the first time I shall install mandriva from a
    self-burnt image. Normally I buy boxed packages. So good luck to me :-)

    --
    jabali

  6. Re: Copying 2008iso to DVD disk

    Jabali Pragya wrote:
    > Thanks everybody. Burnt the file as image. Now I have the task of
    > installing it. This is the first time I shall install mandriva from a
    > self-burnt image. Normally I buy boxed packages. So good luck to me :-)

    Your installation should go OK. I always select the option for the
    burner so that data is checked after the burn in order to be assured
    that the burn did not have errors.

    Don't forget to set up your software sources for updates:
    http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

  7. Re: Copying 2008iso to DVD disk

    Scott B. wrote:
    > Don't forget to set up your software sources for updates:
    > http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

    I should have mentioned that the URL is for Easy Urpmi.

  8. Re: Copying 2008iso to DVD disk

    Scott B. wrote:

    > Scott B. wrote:
    >> Don't forget to set up your software sources for updates:
    >> http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

    > I should have mentioned that the URL is for Easy Urpmi.

    Thanks Scott. Yes I have installed MDV2008 OK and updated sources form
    easyurpmi. All went well. Hurrah :-)

    One problem - whenever I start Firefox a separate tab opens up with blogrovr
    asking me to register. Firefox is setup for stopping pop-up windows.
    However, it is not a pop-up window - a separate tab. How can I stop it ?
    Has anybody faced this problem after installing 2008 ?

    TIA

    --
    jabali

  9. Re: Copying 2008iso to DVD disk

    Jabali Pragya wrote:

    > Scott B. wrote:
    >
    >> Scott B. wrote:
    >>> Don't forget to set up your software sources for updates:
    >>> http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

    >> I should have mentioned that the URL is for Easy Urpmi.

    > Thanks Scott. Yes I have installed MDV2008 OK and updated sources form
    > easyurpmi. All went well. Hurrah :-)
    >
    > One problem - whenever I start Firefox a separate tab opens up with
    > blogrovr asking me to register. Firefox is setup for stopping pop-up
    > windows. However, it is not a pop-up window - a separate tab. How can I
    > stop it ? Has anybody faced this problem after installing 2008 ?
    >
    > TIA

    look in the add on place and u can disable it.

    --
    Love is all u need.

  10. Re: Copying 2008iso to DVD disk

    patrick_darcy wrote:

    > look in the add on place and u can disable it.

    Thanks Patrick. I have found that it is a plug-in and have disabled it. But
    I cannot uninstall it - that option is greyed out. Anyway, it does not come
    up to annoy me any longer.

    --
    jabali

  11. Re: Copying 2008iso to DVD disk

    Jabali Pragya wrote:

    > patrick_darcy wrote:
    >>
    >> look in the add on place and u can disable it.
    >>

    > Thanks Patrick. I have found that it is a plug-in and have disabled it.
    > But I cannot uninstall it - that option is greyed out. Anyway, it does not
    > come up to annoy me any longer.

    You can uninstall it through Install & Remove Software. Search for blogrovr.

    Jim

  12. Re: Copying 2008iso to DVD disk

    On 2007-11-18, Jabali Pragya wrote:
    > On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 22:03:17 +0000, Jabali Pragya wrote:
    >
    > Thanks everybody. Burnt the file as image. Now I have the task of
    > installing it. This is the first time I shall install mandriva from a
    > self-burnt image. Normally I buy boxed packages. So good luck to me :-)

    Good luck.

    You might also like to try the hard-disk-install method that
    has been discussed a few times. You put the ISO image (or
    unpacked contents) in a partition that won't be formatted
    during the installation, you burn the small "boot.iso" image
    to a CD, you boot from the "boot.iso" CD, you select "hard
    disk" (or NFS or ...) as the installation method, and the
    installation is much faster and more reliable than with
    optical media.

    HTH

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  13. Re: Copying 2008iso to DVD disk

    Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    > You might also like to try the hard-disk-install method that
    > has been discussed a few times. *You put the ISO image (or
    > unpacked contents) in a partition that won't be formatted
    > during the installation, you burn the small "boot.iso" image
    > to a CD, you boot from the "boot.iso" CD, you select "hard
    > disk" (or NFS or ...) as the installation method, and the
    > installation is much faster and more reliable than with
    > optical media.

    Thanks Robert. I have managed to install it OK. But have made a note of the
    method you described. I may need it in the future.

    --
    jabali

+ Reply to Thread