lexmark x4550 wireless printer - Mandriva

This is a discussion on lexmark x4550 wireless printer - Mandriva ; I've got the lexmark x4550 wireless printer on my local nextwork, it works fine from my wife's windows machine. how do i connect to it from mandriva 2006? my linux box is o the wired portion of my nextwork, the ...

  1. lexmark x4550 wireless printer

    I've got the lexmark x4550 wireless printer on my local nextwork, it works
    fine from my wife's windows machine. how do i connect to it from mandriva
    2006? my linux box is o the wired portion of my nextwork, the printer is on
    the same subnet but connected wirelessly.
    Thanks
    Eric

  2. Re: lexmark x4550 wireless printer

    Eric wrote:

    > I've got the lexmark x4550 wireless printer on my local nextwork, it works
    > fine from my wife's windows machine. how do i connect to it from mandriva
    > 2006? my linux box is o the wired portion of my nextwork, the printer is
    > on the same subnet but connected wirelessly.
    > Thanks
    > Eric

    I should add 2 things: i know the ip of the printer, i can open a web page
    served by the printer from my linux box ok by going to http://192.168.1.202
    (the printers IP)
    Eric

  3. Re: lexmark x4550 wireless printer

    Eric wrote:

    > Eric wrote:
    >
    >> I've got the lexmark x4550 wireless printer on my local nextwork, it
    >> works fine from my wife's windows machine. how do i connect to it from
    >> mandriva 2006? my linux box is o the wired portion of my nextwork, the
    >> printer is on the same subnet but connected wirelessly.
    >> Thanks
    >> Eric

    > I should add 2 things: i know the ip of the printer, i can open a web page
    > served by the printer from my linux box ok by going to
    > http://192.168.1.202 (the printers IP)
    > Eric

    Connected wirelessly to which computer? Where are the drivers? I have the
    reverse situation: a USB printer wired to my Linux box, and my wife's XP
    connected to my box by wireless. I set it up with Samba. I created a
    printer under Samba, that my wife can see through the network. If you
    can't drive the printer directly from your Linux box, you will need to do
    much the same: link to your wife's box under Samba, and access her printer
    there. Check the Samba documentation and HOWTOS.

    HTH,

    Doug.

  4. Re: lexmark x4550 wireless printer

    Em Sábado, 17 de Novembro de 2007 18:59, Eric escreveu:

    > Eric wrote:
    >
    >> I've got the lexmark x4550 wireless printer on my local nextwork, it
    >> works fine from my wife's windows machine. how do i connect to it from
    >> mandriva 2006? my linux box is o the wired portion of my nextwork, the
    >> printer is on the same subnet but connected wirelessly.
    >> Thanks
    >> Eric

    > I should add 2 things: i know the ip of the printer, i can open a web page
    > served by the printer from my linux box ok by going to
    > http://192.168.1.202 (the printers IP)
    > Eric

    you have a network printer, 1st you need to have a wireless card on your
    linux box, or put the windows box sharing the printer... and for every
    network connection between windows-linux you must use samba all the time.

  5. Re: lexmark x4550 wireless printer

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Eric wrote:
    >
    >> Eric wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've got the lexmark x4550 wireless printer on my local nextwork, it
    >>> works fine from my wife's windows machine. how do i connect to it from
    >>> mandriva 2006? my linux box is o the wired portion of my nextwork, the
    >>> printer is on the same subnet but connected wirelessly.
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Eric

    >> I should add 2 things: i know the ip of the printer, i can open a web
    >> page served by the printer from my linux box ok by going to
    >> http://192.168.1.202 (the printers IP)
    >> Eric

    > Connected wirelessly to which computer? Where are the drivers? I have
    > the reverse situation: a USB printer wired to my Linux box, and my wife's
    > XP
    > connected to my box by wireless. I set it up with Samba. I created a
    > printer under Samba, that my wife can see through the network. If you
    > can't drive the printer directly from your Linux box, you will need to do
    > much the same: link to your wife's box under Samba, and access her printer
    > there. Check the Samba documentation and HOWTOS.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Doug.

    we have it setup so that my wifes vista machine can print and also my work
    xp laptop can print to it. Each one is independent. I dont think they send
    print jobs from the pc to the printer directly via wireless, i think they
    just see it as a networked printer. The printer is wireless connected to
    the networks router. My linux box is connected via wire to that same
    router. So, i dont need the wireless on my linux box, to me it should just
    be a network printer right?
    Thanks
    Eric

  6. Re: lexmark x4550 wireless printer

    Em Domingo, 18 de Novembro de 2007 17:14, Eric escreveu:

    > just see it as a networked printer. The printer is wireless connected to
    > the networks router. My linux box is connected via wire to that same
    > router. So, i dont need the wireless on my linux box, to me it should just
    > be a network printer right?
    > Thanks
    > Eric

    Correct!!

  7. Re: lexmark x4550 wireless printer

    ArameFarpado wrote:

    > Em Domingo, 18 de Novembro de 2007 17:14, Eric escreveu:
    >
    >> just see it as a networked printer. The printer is wireless connected to
    >> the networks router. My linux box is connected via wire to that same
    >> router. So, i dont need the wireless on my linux box, to me it should
    >> just be a network printer right?
    >> Thanks
    >> Eric

    > Correct!!

    how do i go about adding this printer under linux?

  8. Re: lexmark x4550 wireless printer

    Em Domingo, 18 de Novembro de 2007 19:51, Eric escreveu:

    >> Correct!!

    > how do i go about adding this printer under linux?

    depends of the tools you have installed.

    do you have kde? you can do it in kde control center/periferics/printers
    or you can go to mandriva control center (recomended, cause it installs the
    any necessary package that isn't done yet)

    or go directly to de main man "cups", just open this url
    http://localhost:631/printers
    with a web-browser...

    don't forget to set that it is a network printer and not local, or you will
    no be able to do anything good.

    good luck

  9. Re: lexmark x4550 wireless printer

    > or go directly to de main man "cups", just open this url
    > http://localhost:631/printers
    > with a web-browser...
    >
    > don't forget to set that it is a network printer and not local, or you will
    > no be able to do anything good.

    Arame , I wasn't aware of the above , tnx very much ,very useful

    Frank in northern Scotland

+ Reply to Thread