Dual Monitors with Radeon 2400 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Dual Monitors with Radeon 2400 - Mandriva ; Has anyone gotten dual monitors to work on Mandriva 2008? I have an ATI Radeon HD 2400 that I am trying to get to work. I am willing to go to another version of Linux to get dual monitors....

  1. Dual Monitors with Radeon 2400

    Has anyone gotten dual monitors to work on Mandriva 2008? I have an ATI
    Radeon HD 2400 that I am trying to get to work. I am willing to go to
    another version of Linux to get dual monitors.

  2. Re: Dual Monitors with Radeon 2400

    On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 09:33:22 -0500, George wrote:

    >Has anyone gotten dual monitors to work on Mandriva 2008? I have an ATI
    >Radeon HD 2400 that I am trying to get to work. I am willing to go to
    >another version of Linux to get dual monitors.

    All versions of linux use xorg (or the same s/w under the old xfree86
    name). The question is of drivers and video card makers, not of
    selecting a different distro.

    Go to ATI's website, download the linux drivers, and READ THE ****ING
    INSTRUCTIONS.

  3. Re: Dual Monitors with Radeon 2400

    On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 09:33:22 -0500, George wrote:

    > Has anyone gotten dual monitors to work on Mandriva 2008? I have an ATI
    > Radeon HD 2400 that I am trying to get to work. I am willing to go to
    > another version of Linux to get dual monitors.

    Yes, I'm using Mandriva 2008 right now with dual 19" Widescreen LCD's and
    even the Compiz 3D effects work fine. I've found the nVidia chipsets seem
    more at home with the last few renditions of Mandriva, in my case anyway
    and I've been using an XFX nVidia GeFORCE FX7600(512MB) PCIe Dual DVI
    graphics card. What sort of problem are you having?

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

  4. Re: Dual Monitors with Radeon 2400

    George wrote:
    > Has anyone gotten dual monitors to work on Mandriva 2008? I have an ATI
    > Radeon HD 2400 that I am trying to get to work. I am willing to go to
    > another version of Linux to get dual monitors.

    Saw the capability under Fedora 2 and Ubuntu/Kubuntu. I haven't
    actually done it.

    Later
    Mike

  5. Re: Dual Monitors with Radeon 2400

    I have read the instructions and to the best of my ability, I have them
    installed. I don't know how to activate it them. I am in the GNOME
    environment.

    https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...42.3-inst.html

    1. I was not sure if I installed all of the packages.

    2. I deleted the proprietary drivers following the instructions

    3. I used the automatic driver installation option.

    4. I rebooted.

    I still see the ATI proprietary driver as being installed and nowhere do I
    see instructions on using the second monitor.

    I am sorry that I am not as Linux savvy as everyone else in the world. I
    would appreciate any help that I get or at least get pointed in a direction
    of more detailed instructions.

    Thanks

    "AZ Nomad" wrote in message
    > On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 09:33:22 -0500, George wrote:
    >

    >>Has anyone gotten dual monitors to work on Mandriva 2008? I have an ATI
    >>Radeon HD 2400 that I am trying to get to work. I am willing to go to
    >>another version of Linux to get dual monitors.

    > All versions of linux use xorg (or the same s/w under the old xfree86
    > name). The question is of drivers and video card makers, not of
    > selecting a different distro.
    >
    > Go to ATI's website, download the linux drivers, and READ THE ****ING
    > INSTRUCTIONS.

  6. Re: Dual Monitors with Radeon 2400

    On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 15:17:28 -0500, George wrote:

    >I have read the instructions and to the best of my ability, I have them
    >installed. I don't know how to activate it them. I am in the GNOME
    >environment.

    >https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...42.3-inst.html

    >1. I was not sure if I installed all of the packages.

    >2. I deleted the proprietary drivers following the instructions

    >3. I used the automatic driver installation option.

    >4. I rebooted.

    >I still see the ATI proprietary driver as being installed and nowhere do I
    >see instructions on using the second monitor.

    >I am sorry that I am not as Linux savvy as everyone else in the world. I
    >would appreciate any help that I get or at least get pointed in a direction
    >of more detailed instructions.

    >Thanks

    Please quit top posting. .backwards everything read to not prefer people Most

    What do you get when you do Step 8:
    After installing the generated distribution package, launch the Terminal
    Application/Window and run aticonfig --initial to configure the driver.

    What they mean by "terminal application/window" is to open a "terminal"
    such as gnome-terminal, konsole, or an xterm, and type the command
    aticonfig...

  7. Re: Dual Monitors with Radeon 2400

    "AZ Nomad" wrote in message
    > On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 15:17:28 -0500, George wrote:
    >

    >>I have read the instructions and to the best of my ability, I have them
    >>installed. I don't know how to activate it them. I am in the GNOME
    >>environment.

    >>https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...42.3-inst.html

    >>1. I was not sure if I installed all of the packages.

    >>2. I deleted the proprietary drivers following the instructions

    >>3. I used the automatic driver installation option.

    >>4. I rebooted.

    >>I still see the ATI proprietary driver as being installed and nowhere do I
    >>see instructions on using the second monitor.

    >>I am sorry that I am not as Linux savvy as everyone else in the world. I
    >>would appreciate any help that I get or at least get pointed in a
    >>direction
    >>of more detailed instructions.

    >>Thanks

    > Please quit top posting. .backwards everything read to not prefer people
    > Most
    >

    > What do you get when you do Step 8:
    > After installing the generated distribution package, launch the Terminal
    > Application/Window and run aticonfig --initial to configure the driver.
    >
    > What they mean by "terminal application/window" is to open a "terminal"
    > such as gnome-terminal, konsole, or an xterm, and type the command
    > aticonfig...

    I have completed all of these steps. However, I do not see anywhere for me
    to configure the second screen. Both monitors show the same information as
    before.

  8. Re: Dual Monitors with Radeon 2400

    On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 16:25:25 -0500, George wrote:

    >"AZ Nomad" wrote in message

    >> What do you get when you do Step 8:
    >> After installing the generated distribution package, launch the Terminal
    >> Application/Window and run aticonfig --initial to configure the driver.
    >>

    >I have completed all of these steps. However, I do not see anywhere for me
    >to configure the second screen. Both monitors show the same information as
    >before.

    does aticonfig have other options? Try 'aticonfig --help' or 'aticonfig -h'

  9. Re: Dual Monitors with Radeon 2400

    On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 16:25:25 -0500, George wrote:

    > I have completed all of these steps. However, I do not see anywhere for
    > me to configure the second screen. Both monitors show the same
    > information as before.

    Sounds like you haven't edited your xorg.conf file from Clone to LeftOf
    and your crossposting. Are you watching all three groups for responses?

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

  10. Re: Dual Monitors with Radeon 2400

    "JTJersey" wrote in message
    > On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 16:25:25 -0500, George wrote:
    >

    >> I have completed all of these steps. However, I do not see anywhere for
    >> me to configure the second screen. Both monitors show the same
    >> information as before.

    > Sounds like you haven't edited your xorg.conf file from Clone to LeftOf
    > and your crossposting. Are you watching all three groups for responses?
    >
    > --
    > Registered Linux User #267152

    Thanks for the help. I did end up using aticonfig to get the dual monitors
    working. Now my mouse pointer is messed up. On one monitor, it is a big
    block, on the other it looks like a 12-legged centipede.

    I will keep looking for solutions.

  11. Re: Dual Monitors with Radeon 2400

    On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 15:12:29 +0000, JTJersey writ:

    > I'm using Mandriva 2008 right now with dual 19" Widescreen LCD's

    I'm about to get two 19" widescreens myself. May I ask, how have you got
    your desktop set up? I'll be moving from two 19" CRT's, and I wonder about
    the loss of height. I'm thinking that I can change from having one long
    panel across the top of both screens, to placing one panel on the outer
    edge of either screen. KDE here.

    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    ¯`·..·¯`·-> freemont <-·¯`·..·¯

  12. Re: Dual Monitors with Radeon 2400

    On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 01:30:55 +0000, freemont wrote:

    > On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 15:12:29 +0000, JTJersey writ:
    >
    >> I'm using Mandriva 2008 right now with dual 19" Widescreen LCD's

    > I'm about to get two 19" widescreens myself. May I ask, how have you got
    > your desktop set up? I'll be moving from two 19" CRT's, and I wonder
    > about the loss of height. I'm thinking that I can change from having one
    > long panel across the top of both screens, to placing one panel on the
    > outer edge of either screen. KDE here.

    Well, I'm a Gnome user and I put a panel at the top of each monitor
    display so that they act independently of each other. I've got the panel
    backgrounds set to about 50% transparent so they aren't intrusive, but
    visible regardless of the desktop image, which I stretch across both
    monitors. You have to choose your image carefully or it will look really
    odd. I've enabled Duplicate Display with a screen resolution of 1440 x
    900 and changed my xorg.conf file from "Clone" to "LeftOf". I have only 6
    icons on the desktop, located at the bottom center, with 3 on each
    monitor. In one of my panels at the top I use a Drawer which drops down a
    collection of icons for my occasionally used utilities. Stuff like
    Calculator, Dictionary, gFTP, System Monitor and things like that. You
    may have to set your mouse to be a bit more responsive when moving around
    on what amounts to a 38 inch desktop or you may run out of mousepad trying
    to get from one side to the other. Using a single monitor seems very
    confining now.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

  13. Re: Dual Monitors with Radeon 2400

    On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 21:05:26 +0000, JTJersey writ:

    > On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 01:30:55 +0000, freemont wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 15:12:29 +0000, JTJersey writ:
    >>
    >>> I'm using Mandriva 2008 right now with dual 19" Widescreen LCD's

    >> I'm about to get two 19" widescreens myself. May I ask, how have you got
    >> your desktop set up? I'll be moving from two 19" CRT's, and I wonder
    >> about the loss of height. I'm thinking that I can change from having one
    >> long panel across the top of both screens, to placing one panel on the
    >> outer edge of either screen. KDE here.

    > Well, I'm a Gnome user and I put a panel at the top of each monitor
    > display so that they act independently of each other. I've got the panel
    > backgrounds set to about 50% transparent so they aren't intrusive, but
    > visible regardless of the desktop image, which I stretch across both
    > monitors. You have to choose your image carefully or it will look really
    > odd. I've enabled Duplicate Display with a screen resolution of 1440 x
    > 900 and changed my xorg.conf file from "Clone" to "LeftOf". I have only 6
    > icons on the desktop, located at the bottom center, with 3 on each
    > monitor. In one of my panels at the top I use a Drawer which drops down a
    > collection of icons for my occasionally used utilities. Stuff like
    > Calculator, Dictionary, gFTP, System Monitor and things like that. You
    > may have to set your mouse to be a bit more responsive when moving around
    > on what amounts to a 38 inch desktop or you may run out of mousepad trying
    > to get from one side to the other. Using a single monitor seems very
    > confining now.

    This is what I have now:

    http://www.freemontsoffice.com/media/desktop.jpg (311k)

    Can you upload a screenie?

    I'm thinking that I'll miss the height of my current screens; that's why I
    had the idea to split that long panel at top into two panels on either
    outer edge.

    Do you ever miss having more height? Or is it widescreen-only for you now?

    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    ¯`·..·¯`·-> freemont <-·¯`·..·¯

  14. Re: Dual Monitors with Radeon 2400

    On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 21:40:20 +0000, freemont wrote:

    > On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 21:05:26 +0000, JTJersey writ:
    >
    >> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 01:30:55 +0000, freemont wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 15:12:29 +0000, JTJersey writ:

    >>> I'm about to get two 19" widescreens myself. May I ask, how have you
    >>> got your desktop set up? I'll be moving from two 19" CRT's, and I
    >>> wonder about the loss of height. I'm thinking that I can change from
    >>> having one long panel across the top of both screens, to placing one
    >>> panel on the outer edge of either screen. KDE here.

    >> Well, I'm a Gnome user and I put a panel at the top of each monitor
    >> display so that they act independently of each other. I've got the
    >> panel backgrounds set to about 50% transparent so they aren't
    >> intrusive, but visible regardless of the desktop image, which I stretch
    >> across both monitors. You have to choose your image carefully or it
    >> will look really odd. I've enabled Duplicate Display with a screen
    >> resolution of 1440 x 900 and changed my xorg.conf file from "Clone" to
    >> "LeftOf". I have only 6 icons on the desktop, located at the bottom
    >> center, with 3 on each monitor. In one of my panels at the top I use a
    >> Drawer which drops down a collection of icons for my occasionally used
    >> utilities. Stuff like Calculator, Dictionary, gFTP, System Monitor and
    >> things like that. You may have to set your mouse to be a bit more
    >> responsive when moving around on what amounts to a 38 inch desktop or
    >> you may run out of mousepad trying to get from one side to the other.
    >> Using a single monitor seems very confining now.
    >>

    > This is what I have now:
    >
    > http://www.freemontsoffice.com/media/desktop.jpg (311k)
    >
    > Can you upload a screenie?
    >
    > I'm thinking that I'll miss the height of my current screens; that's why
    > I had the idea to split that long panel at top into two panels on either
    > outer edge.
    >
    > Do you ever miss having more height? Or is it widescreen-only for you
    > now?

    I haven't thought much about the height. I've become so accustomed to the
    wide screen it seems normal. Here's a screen shot of the layout.

    http://tinyurl.com/39fdo5

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

  15. Re: Dual Monitors with Radeon 2400

    On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 21:40:20 +0000, freemont wrote:

    > This is what I have now:
    >
    > http://www.freemontsoffice.com/media/desktop.jpg (311k)

    That's an awesome skyline, by the way. I see a lot of cranes. Looks like
    a lot of construction workers are taking home some paychecks. Nice shot.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

  16. Re: Dual Monitors with Radeon 2400

    On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 23:27:44 +0000, JTJersey writ:

    > On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 21:40:20 +0000, freemont wrote:
    >

    >> This is what I have now:
    >>
    >> http://www.freemontsoffice.com/media/desktop.jpg (311k)
    >>

    > That's an awesome skyline, by the way. I see a lot of cranes. Looks like
    > a lot of construction workers are taking home some paychecks. Nice shot.

    I can't take credit for it. Found it on the Webs some time ago. I seem to
    remember it being from Sydney, perhaps. It is a striking picture.

    Seeing your desktop gave me some ideas and I've been screwing around with
    it some. I found a nice wallpaper here:

    http://www.pano.com.au/images/wallpa...olation-x2.jpg

    and there are other nice ones at that site:

    http://www.pano.com.au/wallpaper.html

    I wish that I could stick all those app launchers in my panel into one or
    more drop-downs. Knowing how configurable KDE is, I'm certain there's a
    way - I just have to figure it out.

    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    ¯`·..·¯`·-> freemont <-·¯`·..·¯

  17. Re: Dual Monitors with Radeon 2400

    On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 02:47:10 +0000, freemont wrote:

    > I wish that I could stick all those app launchers in my panel into one
    > or more drop-downs. Knowing how configurable KDE is, I'm certain there's
    > a way - I just have to figure it out.

    In Gnome you would right click on the panel, select "Add to Panel" and
    select "Drawer".

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

  18. Re: Dual Monitors with Radeon 2400

    JTJersey wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 02:47:10 +0000, freemont wrote:
    >
    >> I wish that I could stick all those app launchers in my panel into one
    >> or more drop-downs. Knowing how configurable KDE is, I'm certain there's
    >> a way - I just have to figure it out.

    Right click on any space in panel then top item "add to panel" in KDE

    Phil I

  19. Re: Dual Monitors with Radeon 2400

    freemont wrote:

    > I can't take credit for it. Found it on the Webs some time ago. I seem to
    > remember it being from Sydney, perhaps. It is a striking picture.

    It's actually a composite of the _London_ skyline. There /is/ a lot of
    construction going on - it'll be nice when it's finished!

    C.

+ Reply to Thread