weird windows hd prob mdv 08 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on weird windows hd prob mdv 08 - Mandriva ; I just installed mandriva 08 and with 07 had been able to (as a normal user) read and write to fat32 drives. Now for some reason I can't. I can't even chgown the folders in them. In 07 I gave ...

  1. weird windows hd prob mdv 08

    I just installed mandriva 08 and with 07 had been able to (as a normal
    user) read and write to fat32 drives. Now for some reason I can't. I
    can't even chgown the folders in them. In 07 I gave read/write access
    to my user how can I do this in 08 I don't see an obvious spot.

    Aaron

    P.S. the fat32 drives are also not automounting for some reason.

  2. Re: weird windows hd prob mdv 08

    _skare_krow_ wrote:
    > I just installed mandriva 08 and with 07 had been able to (as a normal
    > user) read and write to fat32 drives. Now for some reason I can't. I
    > can't even chgown the folders in them. In 07 I gave read/write access
    > to my user how can I do this in 08 I don't see an obvious spot.
    > P.S. the fat32 drives are also not automounting for some reason.

    In 2007.1, the default setting is that ordinary users cannot
    mount a fat partition, which would preclude automount doing it
    for an ordinary user.

    What do the entries for the fat partitions look like in
    fstab and mtab? One example:

    fstab:/dev/sda8 /data4 vfat umask=0 0 0
    mtab:/dev/sda8 /data4 vfat rw,umask=0 0 0

    You may need to include options user or users in
    the options in fstab. man mount
    for more details.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: weird windows hd prob mdv 08

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 18:16:52 -0800, _skare_krow_ wrote:

    > I just installed mandriva 08 and with 07 had been able to (as a normal
    > user) read and write to fat32 drives. Now for some reason I can't. I
    > can't even chgown the folders in them. In 07 I gave read/write access to
    > my user how can I do this in 08 I don't see an obvious spot.
    >
    > Aaron
    >
    > P.S. the fat32 drives are also not automounting for some reason.

    That's because you didn't set them up to when you installed 2008. I would
    guess the easiest way to set this up for someone that doesn't have a clue
    what they are doing is by using Mount Points in MCC. Manually, to
    automount them, just add an entry for the partitions (not drives) you want
    to automount, something like this;

    /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat umask=0022,users,iocharset=utf8 0 0

  4. Re: weird windows hd prob mdv 08

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 21:16:52 -0500, _skare_krow_ wrote:

    > I just installed mandriva 08 and with 07 had been able to (as a normal
    > user) read and write to fat32 drives. Now for some reason I can't. I

    As others have shown, update the fstab entry. Don't forget the codepage..

    /dev/hda1 /mnt/winc vfat defaults,users,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850 0 0

    It's the umask=0 that allows write to all.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins