Mandriva 2008 on AMD 64 bit mobo - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Mandriva 2008 on AMD 64 bit mobo - Mandriva ; I have installed an MSI K9VGM-V mobo with an AMD 64x2 Athlon CPU (2G DDR 667 RAM). Tried to install Mandriva One 2008. Will not complete the install. My question is "has anyone else had problems installing Mandriva 2008 on ...

  1. Mandriva 2008 on AMD 64 bit mobo

    I have installed an MSI K9VGM-V mobo with an AMD 64x2 Athlon CPU (2G DDR
    667 RAM). Tried to install Mandriva One 2008. Will not complete the
    install. My question is "has anyone else had problems installing
    Mandriva 2008 on a AMD Athlon dual core machine?"

  2. Re: Mandriva 2008 on AMD 64 bit mobo

    Ralph wrote:

    > I have installed an MSI K9VGM-V mobo with an AMD 64x2 Athlon CPU (2G DDR
    > 667 RAM). Tried to install Mandriva One 2008. Will not complete the
    > install. My question is "has anyone else had problems installing
    > Mandriva 2008 on a AMD Athlon dual core machine?"

    i am using 64 bit 2008. i may want to try the dvd.
    i have read someplace that a few people seem to have
    better luck with the dvd.

    i am running it on an older epox motherboard dual amd and i overclock
    and its very very stable.

    --
    Love is all u need.

  3. Re: Mandriva 2008 on AMD 64 bit mobo

    patrick_darcy wrote:
    > Ralph wrote:
    >
    >> I have installed an MSI K9VGM-V mobo with an AMD 64x2 Athlon CPU (2G DDR
    >> 667 RAM). Tried to install Mandriva One 2008. Will not complete the
    >> install. My question is "has anyone else had problems installing
    >> Mandriva 2008 on a AMD Athlon dual core machine?"

    > i am using 64 bit 2008. i may want to try the dvd.
    > i have read someplace that a few people seem to have
    > better luck with the dvd.
    >

    > i am running it on an older epox motherboard dual amd and i overclock
    > and its very very stable.

    I was previously able to install the Mandriva 2008 on my old tired AMD
    500 Mh macine with no trouble, but this new mobo seems to be no go.
    thanks for commenting.

  4. Re: Mandriva 2008 on AMD 64 bit mobo

    Ralph wrote:

    > I have installed an MSI K9VGM-V mobo with an AMD 64x2 Athlon CPU (2G DDR
    > 667 RAM). Tried to install Mandriva One 2008. Will not complete the
    > install. My question is "has anyone else had problems installing
    > Mandriva 2008 on a AMD Athlon dual core machine?"

    What does "will not complete install" mean? How far does it get? Does it
    fail with any error messages?

    It installs and runs fine here on an AMD 64X2
    --
    sid
    RLU 300284

  5. Re: Mandriva 2008 on AMD 64 bit mobo

    Ralph wrote:

    > I have installed an MSI K9VGM-V mobo with an AMD 64x2 Athlon CPU
    > (2G DDR 667 RAM). Tried to install Mandriva One 2008. Will not
    > complete the install. My question is "has anyone else had
    > problems installing Mandriva 2008 on a AMD Athlon dual core
    > machine?"

    Yup. My previous PC was an ASUS MOBO and I tried to install Mandriva
    200? (not 2008) with NO success, I can't recall the failures but it
    drove me NUTS! Then I got a new beta version of Vista and found out I
    couldn't install Vista, either!

    Finally I remembered I'd done a BIOS updated, can't recall why. I was
    fortunate in that the CD that came with the MOBO had the original BIOS
    so I flashed it back, Vista installed with no problems, Mandriva
    installed with no problems and I have NO IDEA WHY but.... If you've
    updated your BIOS, go back, if you haven't, Google around for an
    earlier version and flash to it.

    I haven't even tried to install Mandriva 2008 on this new PC, I'm
    afraid who knows what will happen. It's a HP box with a proprietary
    MOBO from ASUS and a miserable Phoenix BIOS which means I can't change
    anything.... :-(

    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://improve-usenet.org

  6. Re: Mandriva 2008 on AMD 64 bit mobo

    XS11E wrote:

    > Ralph wrote:
    >
    >> I have installed an MSI K9VGM-V mobo with an AMD 64x2 Athlon CPU
    >> (2G DDR 667 RAM). Tried to install Mandriva One 2008. Will not
    >> complete the install. My question is "has anyone else had
    >> problems installing Mandriva 2008 on a AMD Athlon dual core
    >> machine?"

    > Yup. My previous PC was an ASUS MOBO and I tried to install Mandriva
    > 200? (not 2008) with NO success, I can't recall the failures but it
    > drove me NUTS! Then I got a new beta version of Vista and found out I
    > couldn't install Vista, either!
    >
    > Finally I remembered I'd done a BIOS updated, can't recall why. I was
    > fortunate in that the CD that came with the MOBO had the original BIOS
    > so I flashed it back, Vista installed with no problems, Mandriva
    > installed with no problems and I have NO IDEA WHY but.... If you've
    > updated your BIOS, go back, if you haven't, Google around for an
    > earlier version and flash to it.
    >
    > I haven't even tried to install Mandriva 2008 on this new PC, I'm
    > afraid who knows what will happen. It's a HP box with a proprietary
    > MOBO from ASUS and a miserable Phoenix BIOS which means I can't change
    > anything.... :-(

    Same here. Asus motherboard, and the last 3 bios just don't work with linux.
    The last one works with windows but not with linux. The -4 one just work.
    Not for ACPI suspend (the wake up crash) but at least it works.

    ASUS, never again. It's like ATI and their drivers for their old card. The
    last ones just have random freeze. The Pc just freeze with them for unknow
    reason. 4 Pc, 4 freezing PC. ATI, never again.

  7. Re: Mandriva 2008 on AMD 64 bit mobo

    Amrein-Marie Christophe wrote:
    > ASUS, never again. It's like ATI and their drivers for their old card. The
    > last ones just have random freeze. The Pc just freeze with them for unknow
    > reason. 4 Pc, 4 freezing PC. ATI, never again.

    Even if I prefer AMD over Intel.

+ Reply to Thread