What is ICE? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on What is ICE? - Mandriva ; Just out of interest, whate is ICE? What does it do? Whenever I edit a file as root (or I think, run any command from a terminal as root) I get a nuisance message that ICE has made an error, ...

  1. What is ICE?

    Just out of interest, whate is ICE? What does it do?

    Whenever I edit a file as root (or I think, run any command from a terminal
    as root) I get a nuisance message that ICE has made an error, usually right
    in the middle of a word I am typing, the next character after the one I
    just typed.

    Somebody else with a problem said that he got the same message, which he set
    out, followed by another one (which he didn't give.) I couldn't solve his
    problem, but I told him that this message seemed to be a "nuisance" one and
    the other would be of more help.

    "Living closer to my OS" as a book put it years ago, I see these things, and
    wonder. But I wouldn't go back to a totally GUI system like Windows or its
    Linux imitators, for anything. I keep a Konsole open constantly. I can do
    in a second on the command line what Windows requires me to click up
    through a whole filesystem hierarchy and down the other side, to achieve.
    And some operations are impossible under Windows, e.g. renaming a file to
    one that exists and overwriting the old one in one operation.

    Doug.

  2. Re: What is ICE?

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 02:04:47 -0500, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Just out of interest, whate is ICE? What does it do?

    Inter-Client Exchange (ICE) Protocol

    See http://www.x.org/docs/ICE/ice.pdf

    > Whenever I edit a file as root (or I think, run any command from a terminal
    > as root) I get a nuisance message that ICE has made an error, usually right
    > in the middle of a word I am typing, the next character after the one I
    > just typed.

    After closing any gui application, that's been run as root, get into the
    habit of waiting for the ice error to show up. It's happening becuase
    the gui application is running as root, but as root didn't startx, the
    /root/.ICEauthority file hasn't been setup.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: What is ICE?

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 02:04:47 -0500, Doug Laidlaw
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Just out of interest, whate is ICE? What does it do?

    > Inter-Client Exchange (ICE) Protocol
    >
    > See http://www.x.org/docs/ICE/ice.pdf
    >
    >> Whenever I edit a file as root (or I think, run any command from a
    >> terminal as root) I get a nuisance message that ICE has made an error,
    >> usually right in the middle of a word I am typing, the next character
    >> after the one I just typed.

    > After closing any gui application, that's been run as root, get into the
    > habit of waiting for the ice error to show up. It's happening becuase
    > the gui application is running as root, but as root didn't startx, the
    > /root/.ICEauthority file hasn't been setup.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Thanks David. I will have a look. Is there any point in creating
    a /root/.ICEauthority file, or is that covered in the PDF?

    There have been times in the past when I have done startx as root for a
    special temporary reason, but I haven't really noticed any small
    consequences like that. It is a good thing that the login screen won't
    permit me to log in as root.

    Doug.

  4. Re: What is ICE?

    On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 00:06:35 -0500, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Thanks David. I will have a look. Is there any point in creating
    > a /root/.ICEauthority file, or is that covered in the PDF?

    No. It's only good for the one login session. At logout, it's reset
    to zero bytes. Just get used to waiting, after running a gui application,
    as root, for the ICE error, before you start typing, or learn not to look at
    the screen, as you're typing. Good practice for touch typists .

    Regards, Dave Hodgins