two weird situations - Mandriva

This is a discussion on two weird situations - Mandriva ; ok, this group has been good to me with my I-D-ten-T questions, so I thought I'd try again. Now I've got two different issues after a clean install on a new machine. machine is a P4 @ 2.8MHz (I think), ...

  1. two weird situations

    ok, this group has been good to me with my I-D-ten-T questions, so
    I thought I'd try again. Now I've got two different issues after
    a clean install on a new machine.

    machine is a P4 @ 2.8MHz (I think), IBM x206 eServer model.
    has 1.5GB memory, a 1Gb builtin-NIC, 2x36GB SCSI drives, and
    a Radeon 7000 on-board video.

    Problem #1

    Knowing that it had a weak video card, I went and got an
    NVidia Quadro that supports two monitors simultaneously and
    during the install, Mandriva had me configure that card - it
    was the one that the monitor was connected to. Now, after
    disconnecting the monitor and reconnecting, I can only access
    the on-board Radeon. It's possible that the card has failed
    (it's old, but never been used), but I find that to be a bit
    weird. Unfortunately, the x206 BIOS doesn't appear to have
    any way of disabling the on-board video - short of allowing
    the server to boot without a monitor attached. While I'd like
    this one solved, I can live (barely) with the problem.

    Problem #2

    This is just too weird. Machine configured, running quite
    well. Networking outbound works just fine - I can resolve
    through DNS, I can do NFS mounts, etc. Other machines on
    the network cannot access the machine. Ping goes unanswered,
    ssh to the machine times out, etc.

    Things I've tried:

    1) added ALL: ALL to /etc/hosts.allow
    2) disabled and uninstalled the firewall product
    3) disabled and uninstalled iptables RPM
    4) compared the /etc/sysconfig/network and
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 on a working 2008.0
    to the non-working verison.
    5) netstat -rn seems to give a bit of a clue as it does not
    list loopback device, but I don't have a clue why...

    The 1Gb device is plugged into a 100Mb switch, could that be the issue?

    Many thanks in advance,

    jerry
    --
    // Jerry Heyman | "Software is the difference between
    // Amiga Forever :-) | hardware and reality"

  2. Re: two weird situations

    On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 22:25:26 -0500, Jerry Heyman wrote:

    > Problem #2
    >
    > This is just too weird. Machine configured, running quite
    > well. Networking outbound works just fine - I can resolve
    > through DNS, I can do NFS mounts, etc. Other machines on
    > the network cannot access the machine. Ping goes unanswered,
    > ssh to the machine times out, etc.

    Should have been a simple Click Desired check box in the Mandriva
    Control Center under Security and pick Set up your personal firewall.

    > 2) disabled and uninstalled the firewall product
    > 3) disabled and uninstalled iptables RPM

    Doctor, doctor, my toe hurts.
    No problem let's remove the leg.

    > 4) compared the /etc/sysconfig/network and
    > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 on a working 2008.0
    > to the non-working verison.

    You just said you had no problem surfing your lan/internet.
    your nic is working fine.

    > 5) netstat -rn seems to give a bit of a clue as it does not
    > list loopback device, but I don't have a clue why...

    If missing lo, then it might help if you dumped your network settings.

    -------- standard debug network problem text/script follows: ------------
    dump_net.txt version 4.0

    If you read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    it will suggest you provide any information about your setup which might
    help troubleshoot your problem. Example, Internet connection type,
    (cable, adsl,,,), it's hardware, (vendor/model of the modem).
    Maybe that your system is hooked to a hub/switch/router and type of
    hookup, (Ethernet,usb, wireless,...), distribution, config file values,... .

    We need to know about your network hardware and see your config settings.

    Something does not start up, try
    dmesg
    and/or look through /var/log/messages for an error message.

    If your problem is slow network give a URL so we can try it.

    Once you get your network running, you may want to run xx one last time
    and save the output file for disk crash/new installs

    Might not hurt to save xx for one of a network debugging checklist steps.

    The following ambidextrous script is for suse, mandriva, ubuntu, kubuntu
    and will dump your hardware status, network settings and config files used
    in network setup. We need that information to troubleshoot your problem.

    If you are having to use windows to access Usenet:
    Format a diskette on the windows system.

    Copy the following xx.txt script into xx.txt using notepad.exe
    then save xx.txt to the diskette/cd/usb stick.

    To get the script results back to Windows and
    none of the above hardware works, you can use http://www.fs-driver.org/

    If you do not want some malware writing to linux. You can replace it
    with http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/ which does not
    provide write access to linux.

    The above assumes you have not created a FAT partition to exchange
    files between OSs. If you did, copy dosa.txt to it from linux and read
    it from windows.

    I do recommend remove/installing the windows/linux file system
    driver after you get the linux network up.

    Makes your Windows Anti Virus scanner run much faster after removal.

    Also, if logged into windows, it would be nice to include your windows
    network settings. Click up a Prompt/cmd/terminal and add in contents from
    ipconfig /all
    when you reply with linux settings.

    If using linux for Usenet access, su - root, copy script text into xx
    chmod +x xx
    ./xx

    and include a.txt (if on linux) or dosa.txt (if on windows) in your reply.

    NOTE: to become root, you need to do a
    su - root
    not su root

    For the suse, ubuntu, kubuntu users,
    sudo -i
    chmod +x xx
    ../xx

    exit will exit the sudo -i command.

    If xx is not in your home directory, you will have to provide the full
    path in place of $HOME. Example:
    sudo -i
    chmod +x /some/where/xx
    /some/where/xx

    ------------------ Script starts below this line ---------
    #!/bin/bash
    #************************************************* ************
    #*
    #* xx - Dump network config files and network hardware status
    #*
    #* Output: a.txt linux file
    #* dosa.txt Windows file
    #*
    #************************************************* ************

    _fn=a.txt
    _out_fn=$PWD/$_fn
    _dos_fn=$PWD/dos${_fn}
    _home=$PWD

    function cat_fn
    {
    _fn=$1
    if [ -f $_fn ] ; then
    _count=$(stat -c %s $_fn )
    if [ $_count -gt 0 ] ; then
    echo "======== cat $_fn ==========" >> $_out_fn
    cat $_fn >> $_out_fn
    fi
    fi
    } # end cat_fn

    function grep_fn
    {
    _fn=$1
    if [ -e $_fn ] ; then
    _count=$(stat -c %s $_fn )
    if [ $_count -gt 0 ] ; then
    _count=$(grep -v '^#' $_fn | wc -l)
    if [ $_count -gt 0 ] ; then
    echo "======== grep -v '^#' $_fn ==========" >> $_out_fn
    if [ "$_fn" != "shorewall.conf" ] ; then
    grep -v '^#' $_fn >> $_out_fn
    else
    awk 'empty{if (!/^#/) print; empty=0} /^$/{empty=1}' $_fn >> $_out_fn
    fi
    fi
    fi
    fi
    } # end grep_fn

    function ls_dir
    {
    _dr=$1
    if [ -d $_dr ] ; then
    echo "========= cd $_dr ; ls -al ========" >> $_out_fn
    cd $_dr
    ls -al >> $_out_fn
    fi
    } # end ls_dir

    function tail_fn
    {
    _fn=$1
    if [ -e $_fn ] ; then
    echo "======== tail -18 $_fn ==========" >> $_out_fn
    tail -18 $_fn >> $_out_fn
    fi
    } # end tail_fn

    #********************************
    # check if commands are in $PATH
    # and if not add them to PATH
    #********************************

    _path=""
    type ifconfig > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -ne 0 ] ; then
    _path="${_path}/sbin:"
    fi

    type cat > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -ne 0 ] ; then
    _path="${_path}/bin:"
    fi

    type id > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -ne 0 ] ; then
    _path="${_path}/usr/bin:"
    fi

    if [ -n "$_path" ] ; then
    PATH=${_path}$PATH
    export PATH
    fi

    #********************************
    # check if root and logged in correctly
    #********************************

    _uid=$(id --user)

    if [ $_uid -ne 0 ] ; then
    echo " "
    echo "You need to be root to run $0"
    echo "Click up a terminal and do the following:"
    echo " "
    echo "su - root"
    echo "$PWD/xx"
    echo " "
    echo "or "
    echo " "
    echo "sudo -i"
    echo "$PWD/xx"
    echo " "
    exit 1
    fi

    root_flg=1

    if [ -n "$LOGNAME" ] ; then
    if [ "$LOGNAME" != "root" ] ; then
    root_flg=0
    fi
    fi

    if [ -n "$USER" ] ; then
    if [ "$USER" != "root" ] ; then
    root_flg=0
    fi
    fi

    if [ $root_flg -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo " "
    echo "Guessing you did a su root"
    echo "instead of a su - root"
    echo "please exit/logout of this session and do the following:"
    echo " "
    echo "su - root"
    echo "$PWD/xx"
    echo " "
    echo "or "
    echo " "
    echo "sudo -i"
    echo "$PWD/xx"
    echo " "
    exit 1
    fi

    #********************************
    # main code starts here
    #********************************

    echo "Working, output will be in $_out_fn "

    date > $_out_fn
    chmod 666 $_out_fn

    if [ -n "$_path" ] ; then
    echo "======== echo $PATH ==========" >> $_out_fn
    echo "$PATH" >> $_out_fn 2>&1
    fi

    cat_fn /etc/product.id

    for _d in /etc/*release ; do
    if [ ! -d $_d ] ; then
    echo "======== cat $_d ==========" >> $_out_fn
    cat $_d >> $_out_fn
    fi
    done

    echo "======== uname -rvi =============" >> $_out_fn
    uname -rvi >> $_out_fn

    for _d in /etc/*version ; do
    if [ ! -d $_d ] ; then
    echo "======== cat $_d ==========" >> $_out_fn
    cat $_d >> $_out_fn
    fi
    done

    cat_fn /proc/*version

    type lsb_release > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "======== lsb_release -a ==========" >> $_out_fn
    lsb_release -a >> $_out_fn 2>&1
    fi

    echo " " >> $_out_fn
    if [ -n "$SECURE_LEVEL" ] ; then
    echo "msec security level is $SECURE_LEVEL" >> $_out_fn
    fi

    echo "======== free ==========" >> $_out_fn
    free >> $_out_fn 2>&1
    echo " " >> $_out_fn

    if [ -e /etc/inittab ] ; then
    _line=$(grep :initdefault /etc/inittab)
    set -- $(IFS=':'; echo $_line)
    echo " " >> $_out_fn
    echo "Default run level is $2" >> $_out_fn
    echo " " >> $_out_fn
    fi

    type chkconfig > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "======== chkconfig --list ==========" >> $_out_fn
    for _serv in avahi named tmdns ; do
    chkconfig --list | grep -i $_serv > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "Double check if /$_serv/ needs to be disabled on boot" >> $_out_fn
    chkconfig --list | grep -i $_serv >> $_out_fn
    fi
    done

    chkconfig --list >> $_out_fn

    else
    echo "======== ls -o /etc/rcS.d/ ==========" >> $_out_fn
    for _serv in avahi named tmdns ; do
    ls /etc/rcS.d/S* | grep $_serv > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "Double check if /$_serv/ needs to be disabled on boot" >> $_out_fn
    fi
    done

    ls -o /etc/rcS.d >> $_out_fn
    fi

    _fn=/etc/nsswitch.conf
    if [ -e $_fn ] ; then
    echo "======== grep hosts: $_fn ==========" >> $_out_fn
    grep hosts: $_fn >> $_out_fn
    fi

    grep_fn /etc/resolv.conf

    grep_fn /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head
    cat_fn /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base
    cat_fn /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail

    echo "======== hostname --fqdn ==========" >> $_out_fn
    hostname --fqdn >> $_out_fn

    cat_fn /etc/netprofile/profiles/default/files/etc/hosts
    cat_fn /etc/hostname
    cat_fn /etc/HOSTNAME

    ls /etc/mod*.conf > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "======== grep eth /etc/mod*.conf ==========" >> $_out_fn
    grep eth /etc/mod*.conf >> $_out_fn
    fi

    cat_fn /etc/dhclient-enter-hooks
    cat_fn /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks

    grep_fn /etc/host.conf

    echo "================ ifconfig -a ==============" >> $_out_fn
    ifconfig -a >> $_out_fn

    cat_fn /etc/iftab
    cat_fn /etc/udev/rules.d/61-net_config.rules

    echo "============== route -n =================" >> $_out_fn
    route -n >> $_out_fn

    cat_fn /etc/sysconfig/network/routes

    cat_fn /etc/sysconfig/network
    grep_fn /etc/mkinitramfs/initramfs.conf

    echo "========== head -15 /etc/hosts ===========" >> $_out_fn
    head -15 /etc/hosts >> $_out_fn

    cat_fn /etc/network/interfaces
    cat_fn /var/run/network/ifstate

    _cmd=""
    type ethtool > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    _cmd="ethtool"
    fi

    type mii-tool > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    _cmd="mii-tool -v"
    fi

    if [ -z "$_cmd" ] ; then
    echo "==== mii-tool/ethtool NOT INSTALLED ====" >> $_out_fn
    fi

    for nic in 0 1 2 ; do

    if [ -n "$_cmd" ] ; then
    $_cmd eth$nic > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "======== $_cmd eth$nic ==========" >> $_out_fn
    $_cmd eth$nic >> $_out_fn
    fi
    fi

    echo "=== dmesg | grep eth$nic | grep -v SRC= ===" >> $_out_fn
    dmesg | grep eth$nic | grep -v SRC= >> $_out_fn

    echo "=== grep eth$nic /var/log/messages | tail -10 ===" >> $_out_fn
    grep eth$nic /var/log/messages | tail -10 >> $_out_fn

    cat_fn /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth$nic

    ifconfig eth$nic > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    set $(ifconfig eth$nic | tr [A-Z] [a-z])
    cat_fn /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth-id-$5
    fi

    tail_fn /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient-eth${nic}.leases
    tail_fn /var/lib/dhclient/dhclient-eth${nic}.leases
    tail_fn /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-eth${nic}.info

    done # end for nic in 0 1 2 ; do

    _dir=/etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d
    if [ -d $_dir ] ; then
    ls_dir $_dir

    for _d in "if-up.d" "if-down.d" "if-pre-up.d" "if-post-down.d" ; do
    if [ -e /etc/network/${_d} ] ; then
    echo "==== cd /etc/network/${_d} ; ls -al ===" >> $_out_fn
    cd /etc/network/${_d}
    ls -al >> $_out_fn
    fi
    done
    fi

    if [ -d /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts ] ; then
    for _d in "ifdown.d" "ifup.d" ; do
    if [ -e /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/${_d} ] ; then
    _cmd="cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/${_d} ; ls -al "
    echo "===== $_cmd ====" >> $_out_fn
    cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/${_d}
    ls -al >> $_out_fn
    fi
    done
    fi

    ls_dir /etc/dhcp3/dhclient-exit-hooks.d
    ls_dir /etc/resolvconf/update.d

    if [ -d /etc/shorewall ] ; then
    _count=$(chkconfig --list shorewall | grep -c n )
    if [ $_count -gt 0 ] ; then
    echo "======= Shorewall settings =========" >> $_out_fn
    cd /etc/shorewall
    for _f in $(ls) ; do
    echo "======= $_f =========" >> $_out_fn
    grep_fn $_f
    done
    fi
    fi

    cd $_home

    grep_fn /etc/hosts.allow
    grep_fn /etc/hosts.deny
    echo "==== end of config/network data dump =======" >> $_out_fn

    awk '{print $0 "\r" }' $_out_fn > $_dos_fn
    chmod 666 $_dos_fn

    echo " "
    echo "If posting via linux, post contents of $_out_fn"
    echo "You might want to copy it to your account with the command"
    echo "cp $_out_fn ~your_login"
    echo " "
    echo "If posting via windows, post contents of $_dos_fn"
    echo " "
    echo "If using diskette,"
    echo "Copy $_dos_fn to diskette with the following commands:"
    echo " "
    echo "mkdir -p /floppy"
    echo "mount -t auto /dev/fd0 /floppy"
    echo "cp $_dos_fn /floppy"
    echo "umount /floppy "
    echo " "
    echo "and $_dos_fn is ready for windows from diskette"
    echo " "

    #*********** end of dump xx.txt script *********

    ----------- script ends above this line ------------------------

    and then copy xx.txt to the diskette.

    On some linux distributions, you may need to get into the User/Group
    screen, show all users, double click root, create the password, and
    enable root. Root's password should never be the same as anyone else's.

    To move xx.txt from diskette to the linux box, click up a linux terminal
    su - root
    (root's passwd)

    mkdir -p /floppy
    mount -t auto /dev/fd0 /floppy
    tr -d '\015' < /floppy/xx.txt > xx
    chmod +x xx
    ../xx

    Back on the windows OS, you can cut/paste the a:\dosa.txt into your reply
    under windows.
    Do not attach it.

    When you do reply, please remove/trim my response/text/script from your reply
    before you add in the results/output of the script.

    If you are dual booting the box, you can copy xx.txt to linux from windows.
    Note: The following assumes /dev/hda1 is where windows is installed on the
    first partition on the C: drive
    If you have sata drive, you may have to use /dev/sda1 instead of /dev/hda1.

    cat /etc/fstab to see which value will be required.
    Do keep quotes used in the following:
    mkdir -p /doze
    mount -t auto /dev/hda1 /doze
    tr -d '\015' < "/doze/wherever/you_saved/xx.txt" > xx
    umount /doze

    On windows you can read dosa.txt from a linux partition if you installed
    windows linux file system driver from
    http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm

    Remember to remove/uninstall it to allow your Windows Anti Virus
    scanner to run faster.

  3. Re: two weird situations

    Em Sexta, 16 de Novembro de 2007 03:25, Jerry Heyman escreveu:

    > Problem #1
    >
    > Knowing that it had a weak video card, I went and got an
    > NVidia Quadro that supports two monitors simultaneously and
    > during the install, Mandriva had me configure that card - it
    > was the one that the monitor was connected to. Now, after
    > disconnecting the monitor and reconnecting, I can only access
    > the on-board Radeon. It's possible that the card has failed
    > (it's old, but never been used), but I find that to be a bit
    > weird. Unfortunately, the x206 BIOS doesn't appear to have
    > any way of disabling the on-board video - short of allowing
    > the server to boot without a monitor attached. While I'd like
    > this one solved, I can live (barely) with the problem.

    on board cards are allways desable in bios, a few ones done manualy but most
    ones is automatic... check the slot for good electrical contacts, also look
    into motherboard manual, i've seen rare boards having a jumper to switch.

    > Problem #2
    >
    > This is just too weird. Machine configured, running quite
    > well. Networking outbound works just fine - I can resolve
    > through DNS, I can do NFS mounts, etc. Other machines on
    > the network cannot access the machine. Ping goes unanswered,
    > ssh to the machine times out, etc.
    >
    > Things I've tried:
    >
    > 1) added ALL: ALL to /etc/hosts.allow
    > 2) disabled and uninstalled the firewall product
    > 3) disabled and uninstalled iptables RPM

    wrong move... the real firewall is build in the kernel.
    use a GUI interface for your firewall, like guarddog, cause it's a little
    bit hard to deal with the firewall directly.

    regards

+ Reply to Thread