Mounting remote USB hard drive. - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Mounting remote USB hard drive. - Mandriva ; I have a new system with a Gigabyte 8VM800M-755 mobo, Sempron 2800+ processor, and a 160 GB SATA HD. I have an old 113 GB (detected) IDE HD in an external USB case for backups (/dev/sdd,) and an Imation Flash ...

  1. Mounting remote USB hard drive.

    I have a new system with a Gigabyte 8VM800M-755 mobo, Sempron 2800+
    processor, and a 160 GB SATA HD. I have an old 113 GB (detected) IDE HD in
    an external USB case for backups (/dev/sdd,) and an Imation Flash
    drive/pen/whatever (dev/sdb1.)

    I run Mandriva 2008. The external drives are detected on bootup but not
    mounted. There is a directory /media/removable, but if I mount the HD (by
    switching it on) or the Flash drive (by unplugging it and plugging it in
    again), the directory /media/removable is ignored, and new directories are
    created under /media.

    This is a nuisance particularly with backups. I can't just leave the
    external HD switched on, because it isn't mounted. If I switch it on after
    bootup, it is mounted under /media/disk, and that is where I have told my
    backup program to look. If I forget, and /media/disk doesn't exist, the
    backup program creates it, and backs up to it, which fills up my /
    partition (hence my posts a while back.) Once /media/disk is created this
    way, the backup drive becomes /media/disk-1, and the backup program

    What I would like to see is the HD mounted on bootup to /media/removable, or
    some other directory, so that I can just forget about it (as I do anyway.)
    If this is not possible, I want to insert something in the backup config
    file so that instead of /media/disk, it says in effect "wherever /dev/sdd
    is mounted."

    Any suggestions please?

    Doug.

  2. Re: Mounting remote USB hard drive.

    On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 18:08:00 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > What I would like to see is the HD mounted on bootup to
    > /media/removable, or some other directory, so that I can just forget
    > about it (as I do anyway.) If this is not possible, I want to insert
    > something in the backup config file so that instead of /media/disk, it
    > says in effect "wherever /dev/sdd is mounted."
    >
    > Any suggestions please?

    fstab entry for it.

    /dev/sdd1 /

  3. Re: Mounting remote USB hard drive.

    Wes Newell wrote

    > On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 18:08:00 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >
    >> What I would like to see is the HD mounted on bootup to
    >> /media/removable, or some other directory, so that I can just forget
    >> about it (as I do anyway.) If this is not possible, I want to insert
    >> something in the backup config file so that instead of /media/disk, it
    >> says in effect "wherever /dev/sdd is mounted."
    >>
    >> Any suggestions please?

    > fstab entry for it.
    >
    > /dev/sdd1 /

    Thanks. Like a floppy or CD-ROM that isn't always in its drive.

    Doug.

  4. Re: Mounting remote USB hard drive.

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 00:22:44 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Wes Newell wrote
    >
    >> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 18:08:00 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >>
    >>> What I would like to see is the HD mounted on bootup to
    >>> /media/removable, or some other directory, so that I can just forget
    >>> about it (as I do anyway.) If this is not possible, I want to insert
    >>> something in the backup config file so that instead of /media/disk, it
    >>> says in effect "wherever /dev/sdd is mounted."
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions please?

    >> fstab entry for it.
    >>
    >> /dev/sdd1 /
    >>

    > Thanks. Like a floppy or CD-ROM that isn't always in its drive.

    That's up to you. If it's not always in the drive, you don't want it auto
    mounted on boot and should use the noauto option. Otherwise an entry like
    this without the noauto should work fine to mount on boot.

    /dev/sdc1 /mnt/disk vfat noauto,users,iocharset=utf8 0 0

    or something like

    /dev/sdc1 /mnt/disk ext3 relatime 0 0

    There's all kind of options.

  5. Re: Mounting remote USB hard drive.

    Wes Newell wrote:

    > On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 00:22:44 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >
    >> Wes Newell wrote

    >>> fstab entry for it.
    >>>
    >>> /dev/sdd1 /
    >>>

    >> Thanks. Like a floppy or CD-ROM that isn't always in its drive.
    >>

    > That's up to you. If it's not always in the drive, you don't want it auto
    > mounted on boot and should use the noauto option. Otherwise an entry like
    > this without the noauto should work fine to mount on boot.
    >
    > /dev/sdc1 /mnt/disk vfat noauto,users,iocharset=utf8 0 0
    >
    > or something like
    >
    > /dev/sdc1 /mnt/disk ext3 relatime 0 0
    >
    > There's all kind of options.

    Yes, I just copied across the line from /etc/mtab, but it didn't work. It
    imported Hal and had all kinds of strange extras. I can take it from here.
    Thanks.

    Doug.

  6. Re: Mounting remote USB hard drive.

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > I have a new system with a Gigabyte 8VM800M-755 mobo, Sempron 2800+
    > processor, and a 160 GB SATA HD. I have an old 113 GB (detected) IDE HD
    > in an external USB case for backups (/dev/sdd,) and an Imation Flash
    > drive/pen/whatever (dev/sdb1.)
    >
    > I run Mandriva 2008. The external drives are detected on bootup but not
    > mounted. There is a directory /media/removable, but if I mount the HD (by
    > switching it on) or the Flash drive (by unplugging it and plugging it in
    > again), the directory /media/removable is ignored, and new directories are
    > created under /media.

    Your external drive will have links in /dev/disk which reflect a partition
    GUID. So you can put the line corresponding to your external
    drive/partition into /etc/fstab, preferrably with "noauto". Make the backup
    script mount it and query the return value.
    You may also install autofs, put a proper line in your auto.misc and won't
    even need to mount/unmount it "by hands" anymore.
    Linux 2.6.22.9-1mdvcustom [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

+ Reply to Thread