Recommend a backup program - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Recommend a backup program - Mandriva ; I used ark which comes on the 2008 package but I would like to try another one.This is on a standalone system just used in my home. Tia,Dale...

  1. Recommend a backup program

    I used ark which comes on the 2008 package but I would like to
    try another one.This is on a standalone system just used in my
    home.
    Tia,Dale

  2. Re: Recommend a backup program

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 22:04:59 +0000, Itsdale wrote:

    > I used ark which comes on the 2008 package but I would like to try another
    > one.This is on a standalone system just used in my home.
    > Tia,Dale

    What are you using for backup media?

    If you are using a (removable) drive large enough for the job I'd backup
    partitions with gparted...

    Here's a nice ISO that makes a bootable CD...

    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...43&package_id=
    173828

    or...

    http://tinyurl.com/rk4qp

    This is a good utility to have for a number of reasons.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  3. Re: Recommend a backup program

    Ron Gibson wrote:

    > On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 22:04:59 +0000, Itsdale wrote:
    >
    >> I used ark which comes on the 2008 package but I would like to try
    >> another one.This is on a standalone system just used in my home.
    >> Tia,Dale

    > What are you using for backup media?
    >
    > If you are using a (removable) drive large enough for the job I'd backup
    > partitions with gparted...
    >
    > Here's a nice ISO that makes a bootable CD...
    >
    > http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...43&package_id=
    > 173828
    >
    > or...
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/rk4qp
    >
    > This is a good utility to have for a number of reasons.

    I might use gparted for a more permanent backup, say of my system
    partitions.

    For regular backups I am using rsnapshot (www.rsnapshot.org/) as recommended
    on one of the RSS feeds. There isn't a Mandriva RPM, but the one available
    from the site installs quite O.K. I reduced the backup frequency from the
    default 4 a day to 2 a day. Having an IDE drive connected via USB creates
    problems that I intend to post separately.

    Doug.

+ Reply to Thread